Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: xingyi fighting clip

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Prefect
    Thanks, ROT... I boxed for years and with a national amateur champion. I wasn't so bad myself either. I have a pretty good grip of what you see in boxing gyms. Most guys showing poor form will indeed get handled by their opponent or their coach, but nearly everybody does it when they start sparring first and plenty of guys never progress past that stage. Only at mid-level and upper-level amateur bouts do you start seeing a lot more crisp technique and sticking and moving, and see them entirely depart from the instict to stand there and trade shots.

Coming from that live background I've always been very skeptical of what a style looks like in that environment. I've seen a fair amount of guys use kung fu well in that environment. One of the guys I trained MMA with had trained with a fella named Cartmell for years and used Xing Yi and Ba Gua as his main styles on the feet. It's not about the style, it's the training and the man.

Joseph,

Only on a conceptual level. I trained Ba Gua for a bit and ran into Xing Yi guys in training (they were cross-training in Ba Gua) and at seminars. I was never a student of the style although I've seen a little bit of it from those sources.

but the question is did he use bagua and xingyi footwork, strategy, defense/offense, etc. or was he just fighting like an untrained guy or relied on kickboxing/boxing that he learned since than? I saw a clip on shenwu of Maynard sparring some guy with only fists and gloves and it looked like basic boxing, I only see a jab/cross/hook I didnt see any xingyi punches.

First off, he had a nice agressive attitude (all white guy). I understand why he was plugging away at the head, it's harder to hurt a well conditioned fighter to the body with a protector on. Furthermore, if it was bare-knuckle, as the art was intended? A few of those straights would have ended it.
    That's not necessairly true Its hard to knock someone out with bare knuckle or gloves and especially with a vertical beng quan fist almost impossible I would think. Boxers have the best ability to knock people out since they train for it yet it takes sometimes 10 rounds for it to happen. And with the gloves no offense or defense gets taken away cause you can use any offensive or defensive move from the style as long as it is a close fisted strike and even a open palm parry/block. I even have a boxing coach that showed me forearm blocks, upward karate style bocks, etc. anything is possible with gloves on imo.

So you can throw Xingyi "tearing" and Quinna out the window.
    There was a thread on shenwu where alot if not most people concluded that qin na/jjj/joint locks only work against half resisting or not fully resisting opponents.
    Last edited by Reign-Of-Terror; 06-17-2005 at 07:43 PM.

That's not necessairly true Its hard to knock someone out with bare knuckle or gloves and especially with a vertical beng quan fist almost impossible I would think.
    Actually, blacktaoist (who used to post on here) had a vid of himself taking someone down pretty quickly using nothing but beng quan.

R-O-T,
    Let see whtat you can do better.
    Everyone from Ford to Rockwood has
    analyzed the clip with a fair hand.

What do you have? OOoooooo, I small
    the usual anonymous ***gotry...''''

Put up or shut up Enforcer, be a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Actually, blacktaoist (who used to post on here) had a vid of himself taking someone down pretty quickly using nothing but beng quan.
    none of his clips are very impressive, and it didint look like a beng quan but a forward charing attack with fists flying, a beng quan as done in those forms clips is totally different as the other hand has a specific posision relative to the body/head and there is a step into it. Also his san shou clips were decent but the clips with mma gloves were horrible, it seems he fights better with bigger gloves on.

Actually, xingyi fists can have numerous variations depending on the situation. Any reasonably intellegent adult is going to know to adapt. Why keep the hand in a certain spot if there's no reason to? Doesn't matter if it's ugly, as long as it gets the job done If you want to live in kungfu fantasy land, that's fine with me though, one less guy out there to worry about

Good thing I still have room on my ignore list for another wannabe This thing's getting filled up pretty fast though.

Well, though I don't really like, or usually agree with the troll known as "Reign-Of-Terror" (who used to be known as "Enforcer" 'til he was banned), I do agree that Hsing-I should (even in sparring) LOOK like Hsing-I. The Hsing-I techniques were designed to work with the Hsing-I "Jings". Same with Bagua (at least as I learned it). When I fight a full contact match with Hsing-I or Bagua, I actually use the postures, footwork and techniques that I practice in my forms. And it works very well. I wasn't impressed with the "skill" or lack thereof in the sparring clips under discussion either, but I don't know the skill level of those sparring. They could very well be beginners.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Actually, xingyi fists can have numerous variations depending on the situation. Any reasonably intellegent adult is going to know to adapt. Why keep the hand in a certain spot if there's no reason to? Doesn't matter if it's ugly, as long as it gets the job done If you want to live in kungfu fantasy land, that's fine with me though, one less guy out there to worry about

Good thing I still have room on my ignore list for another wannabe This thing's getting filled up pretty fast though.
    so you actually think those guys would last a minute in an amatuer boxing or muay thai fight?

They might. They are obviously tough and agressive. I doubt they'd win though.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

why are there never any clips of masters fighting or sparring? Why are they always newbies or "thats not the real style"...

Couldn't ell ya'. Maybe the real masters got all their fighting out of their systems when they were "newbies". I know the reason the association I'm a member of doesn't post their matches is simply that these are "closed door" matches and conducted solely for training and self development, not public entertainment. I'm no master, but I'd gladly post some clips if I could find anyone who wanted to spar full-contact (who isn't a looney, a spaz or an azz) in the S.F. Bay area (hel!, even light contact sparring, if they want).
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Enforcer,

I know exactly what the problem is.

Instead of asking for clips of masters fighting, theorizing over forums about the inefficiency of IMAs, and sharing ignorant opinions backed up by uninformed hunches, you should be doing all this in real life, not in front of a desktop monitor.
    Stay away from the internet and go ask those questions to the faces of the same people you bash here. I promise you your questions and doubts will evaporate faster than an Emptyflower ban.
    No Pain....No Gain

lol I aint the only one asking these questions or having these doubts, most of the martiala rt world agrees with my hunches. There is still no proof of internal power or any of that stuff.

actually Im not denying the chinese were always good at weapon combat and hence it was their primary goal in fgihting and what they primary focused on, its just that there is no proof they were ever good at bare handed combat.
    Last edited by Reign-Of-Terror; 06-19-2005 at 12:39 AM.

R-O-T, there isn't a shred of truth in your last post.
    You know it and I know it.

Seriously, go to a San Shou school or "fighting" oriented
    school and discuss you theories. Trying to cull
    information from the internet is not your best bet.
    But you're a p-u-s-s-y right?

Also, start posting under your real handle, which is "Enforcer".
    You probably needed a new handle when as "Enforcer" you are known as the
    guy who knows nothing about martial arts and seems pre-occupied with prison-rape. Some Enforcer.

All you've ever been interested in is annoying people. I don't really know why,
    isn't it as we discussed before, "People just don't like you and tend to pick on you." I wonder why?

bai he, why are you so angry? I aint gonna get into an argueing match with you cause I dont wanna se you cry. It will pain my heart.