Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: xingyi fighting clip

xingyi fighting clip

Why? Because the guy was doing the Linkage set "taiji speed" or because his fighter wasn't necessarily dominating the contests, but clealy landed some good techniques?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

because any good boxer or muay thai fighter would have ownd them and none of the techniques that they practised in their forms or partner drills came out under pressure.

Maybe but maybe not; I didn't see them fight a boxer or an MT person. And I don't know the level of the students they showed fighting.

As for the techniques looking like the form, is that ever really the case? Look at any fight involving practitioners of a predominately form based system and tell me that the techniques they use effectively in the fight look the same as the form. Better yet, show me a clip so I'll know your frame of reference for your criticism.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Reign-Of-Terror
    because any good boxer or muay thai fighter would have ownd them and none of the techniques that they practised in their forms or partner drills came out under pressure.
    Go play somewhere else, troll.
    Havent you anything better to do?
    Retard.

I just though the video was put together poorly ... hard to follow.

Well

That was a rather slow version of Hsing I. I know it's much faster in a real life situation. And it was hard to follow with all of the added in effects between form and function(?)

peace
    Zvika

You guys should research some before opening your mouths. Many families of Shanxi Xing Yi practice their art at a "Taiji" speed. For instance the Song Family Shanxi I practice is all practiced at a slow, rythmic pace. Any and all can of course be practiced at varied speeds, but for the most part slower than Hebei.
    Like the speed or not, the guy was decently solid. I agree it was a bit hard to follow with the effects or what not.

Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen
    Maybe but maybe not; I didn't see them fight a boxer or an MT person. And I don't know the level of the students they showed fighting.

As for the techniques looking like the form, is that ever really the case? Look at any fight involving practitioners of a predominately form based system and tell me that the techniques they use effectively in the fight look the same as the form. Better yet, show me a clip so I'll know your frame of reference for your criticism.
    exactly, they dont use their techniques but use poor imitations of boxers and kickboxers, becasue that is the natural way humans fight.

Wait, I just read some of your other posts. Now I get why you are apt to post something just to criticize it (which was my problem in the first place). I can go back to ignoring you, but I thought I would give you the benefit of the doubt first.

Jake, I wasnt' criticizing the speed of the Xingyi, I was just wondering why ROT "wasn't impressed." I don't understand the motivation of someone posting a clip just to criticize it especially when they are essentially incognito and their skills aren't known.

Jake
    I didn't realize that Shanxi Hsing I is practiced much slower than Hebei. Apologies. Regardless, the guy's form is solid.
    Zvika

I actually saw some splitting fist in there.... when the student is pushing the other guy back from right to left. It doesn't land solidly, but it takes the space, gets inside position and drives him back.

All in all, the video quality was too poor to really see what was going on, but I wouldn't call it kick boxing or boxing.

Hopgar and Judges Pen,
    No apologies needed. Shanxi is poorly represented over here in the west, so many people think Hebei is the only way Xing Yi is played. I hope to change that mindset.
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Reign-Of-Terror
    exactly, they dont use their techniques but use poor imitations of boxers and kickboxers, becasue that is the natural way humans fight.
    Thats the natural way people fight, right....when you cover them in foam padding, put some gloves on them and forbid them to use headbuts, elbows, knees and groin strikes. You can still see xingyi this way, but mostly in movement, not technique. Good luck with your kickboxing training.
    No Pain....No Gain

Joseph,

Out of curiousity if you really feel that way, then how would you explain the fighting in the first 4 or so UFC's? There were no time limits, groin strikes were allow, throat strikes were allowed, small joint manipulation was allowed, knees were allowed, elbows were allowed, etc. There were reps from karate, kung fu, and other disciples there and it mostly all looked the same. Do you feel those people weren't "true" practitioners of their art?

Everybody else,

While I think ROT is trolling, I can see his point. Why practice things in forms when you don't use it in fighting? I'm sure you could simplify much of TCMA content to make it fighting specific, and yet still maintain the flavor of the style and meditiational/spiritual aspects, but not waste time on things that will be discarded in a live environment.