Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Attn: GeneChing

Banning Bannon

Yeah, I know, I was being sarcastic about sueing him. It's probably not worth pursuing. You know, I only met Bannon once. I talked to him on the phone a couple of times, but I was always skeptical of him. There was always something off about him, even before the whole Interpol thing cmae to light. In fact, part of my motivation about publishing the e-zine article was to continue the debate about his authenticity. Seems to have worked.

The bulk of all articles you see in the martial arts world are freelance submission. Here is our submission guidelines, for your reference. As for a martial caveat emptor, to be honest, the subject doesn't grab me that much at first glance. But feel free to email me if you have some unique insight on it that you think would be of interest - gene@kungfumagazine.com.

Note that I'm moving this thread to our media forum. I think it'll be more prominent there.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I remember the pretty wild and vivid stories by Bannon when they came out. He was called out immediately by some of the readers of the Magazine. I guess it's their time to shine now. "I told you so!".

I recall the exchange at the "Letters to the Editor" being very aggressive at the time. For a good reason, we all know now. I am sure Gene found himself in the eye of the storm then, too.

Well, the suspicions have materialized. No more speculation, that's good. My hat's off to the peeps behind this investigation.
    ”The freethinking of one age is the common sense of the next.” Matthew Arnold

Exercise Masters
    Potkua!
    Fen Lan Tang Lang Men

The eye of the storm

The letters, yes, there were many. There was even another thread here about it. Was that on the main forum? It was a while ago. But to be honest, I didn't feel like the eye of the storm then, nor do I now. If anything, I feel rather vindicated now. It wasn't my call. In fact, I had my doubts and feel like I'm in the 'I told you so' position here at the office.

I wasn't the editor when Bannon's interpol story went to press.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    The letters, yes, there were many. There was even another thread here about it. Was that on the main forum? It was a while ago. But to be honest, I didn't feel like the eye of the storm then, nor do I now. If anything, I feel rather vindicated now.

I wasn't the editor when that story went to press.
    This is from Sam B, posted on the thread linked in the original post:

I just got a copy of the arrest warrant. The CBI investigator I talked to indicated that she had read material on Bullshido and actually knew my name. However there was no Bullshido material in the 8 page arrest warrant. Article by next Tuesday..
    Site Director, Bullshido.com
    No BS Martial Arts

Gene, I didn't mean to imply anything other than that it must have been a difficult situation for you because you were responsible to all corners: readers, writers, the magazine and its staff, and yourself. That's what I meant by "the eye of the storm". Must have been a little confusing and frustrating at times (not just this Bannon case, I am sure there are times when you would like to either disappear in to the mountains or alternatively kick everyone's azz for 5 minutes ).

I can definitely feel your pain.

But I am happy for you that is history now.
    ”The freethinking of one age is the common sense of the next.” Matthew Arnold

Exercise Masters
    Potkua!
    Fen Lan Tang Lang Men

Mika & Phrost

That semi-defensive tone you might be picking up on in my posts about this is really me gloating but trying not to gloat. Actually I couldn't be more pleased that you gentleman have brought this to my attention, so I can, in turn, bring it to the attention of my collegues. I find myself saying "I told you so" a lot - it's a bad habit and doesn't bode well formy popularity at the office. Of course, we're a team here, a tight-knit team, so I don't want to come off as not being a team player or anything - while that might sound defensive, have no fear about what implying anything towards me. Beleive me, this job has toughened my hide.

I'm hoping you guys keep me abreast of this situation here, and I'm looking forward to Samuel Browning's report. We had discussed him doing something for our e-zine when it was over, but I'm assuming from the reply posted above it'll go to Bullshido. He's your 'operative' more than ours, so that's fine with me.

Thanks for your continued support of the magazine.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    That semi-defensive tone you might be picking up on in my posts about this is really me gloating but trying not to gloat. Actually I couldn't be more pleased that you gentleman have brought this to my attention, so I can, in turn, bring it to the attention of my collegues. I find myself saying "I told you so" a lot - it's a bad habit and doesn't bode well formy popularity at the office. Of course, we're a team here, a tight-knit team, so I don't want to come off as not being a team player or anything - while that might sound defensive, have no fear about what implying anything towards me. Beleive me, this job has toughened my hide.

I'm hoping you guys keep me abreast of this situation here, and I'm looking forward to Samuel Browning's report. We had discussed him doing something for our e-zine when it was over, but I'm assuming from the reply posted above it'll go to Bullshido. He's your 'operative' more than ours, so that's fine with me.

Thanks for your continued support of the magazine.
    I can't speak for Sam, but as far as Bullshido goes I'd have no problem with that article being essentially "cross-posted" or shared between the sites. The more the information spreads, the more it helps our cause in protecting consumers from fraud.
    Site Director, Bullshido.com
    No BS Martial Arts

posts are free

I was more refering to an actual article, something we'd publish on the e-zine like the one from Jason Putnam, whoever he might be. All our e-zine article submissions are exclusive. If Sam posts it on the Bullshido thread, it'll essentially be here since we're linked at the begining. Just give us a shout out here when it gets posted. I'd love to check it out.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I always had the suspicion that Jason Putnam/Putman was a pseudonym for David Bannon, simply because he was confused by his own name.

Geocities homepages, fake co-authors, id fraud, non-existant publications ...

An old thread about this...

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Here's a novel twist

You'll seldom see me post links to other forums, but this is an exceptional case. Here's Samuel's report on Bannon on Bullshido.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Guilty

Bannon pleaded guilty.

Samuel Browning was kind enough to share this link about the results of the case.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Samuel on Bannon

Here's an exclusive article on the Bannon case by Samuel Browning -
    Spotting False Martial Arts Claims: Lessons from the David Bannon Case.

Thanks again, Samuel!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Coming from Oklahoma's Martial Arts scene, i think this guy getting busted is AWESOME.

Now if they could just come mop up some of the fake mother****ers in OK, that would be awesome.

Good job to bullshido, despite them being a bunch of butt-munchers.

Bullshido, as usual, did nothing. It was only Sam Browning that made any kind of effort.

And just what effect Sam's "Investigation" had on the arrest is unknown.(maybe I missed it, feel free to point it out) If none, then its just stabbing the dead bull. No biggy.