Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Reign of Terror.

dayum... excellent post, MP.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by FatherDog
    Great post, MP.

I've noticed this kind of behavior from people at the gym - everybody's seen that guy that just wants to roll with people smaller and less experienced than him, so he can feel good about dominating him, but there's also that guy that constantly goes after guys much, much bigger than him, so he has a ready-made excuse for when he loses - the weight and strength was "just too much" for him (never mind that they pulled guard and spun into an omoplata - clearly it was just the strength and weight).

Your post articulated the basis of the problem - ego - a bit better than I had worked it out in my head.
    that's understandable in the early years of training - you just want to roll with EVERYONE.

what's understandable?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    what's understandable?
    Understandable you want to roll with everyone in class. We all start out as bullies but eventually with good coaching / punishment from the master we learn martial ethics and philosophy.

MerryParankster, you should tell that to mike tyson, or ken shamrcok. But seriously, if you think about it competition itself is about ego. If your not fighting because its the only way to support yourself or your family, or you have to because of some vow you made to someone, or for similar reasons it is about ego. If you want to prove to yourself how abdass you are or how tough you are in trying to impress an audience of people and egt fame than it is all ego. If you feel secure in your abilities there is nor eason to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by ReignOfTerror
    MerryParankster, you should tell that to mike tyson, or ken shamrcok. But seriously, if you think about it competition itself is about ego. If your not fighting because its the only way to support yourself or your family, or you have to because of some vow you made to someone, or for similar reasons it is about ego. If you want to prove to yourself how abdass you are or how tough you are in trying to impress an audience of people and egt fame than it is all ego. If you feel secure in your abilities there is nor eason to fight.

Or you compete to have fun...?

Personally, I like to fight...its the best thing in the world for me. Way better than playing games on the computer, imo (Which...I seem to do a bunch anyway. ). Competing is just another option. Some people do it for ego reasons, but not everyone. Saying that is an overgeneralization.

When I go to compete its to have fun and cross hands with someone with different training than mine. When you spar in your school you start to understand how someone will fight...your partners are the same...going to a competition gives you a wider range of people and style.

Generally, martial artists are good guys. I rarely see them in a testosterone high ego competition, but it does happen. Just dont go saying that competition is just about satisfying the ego.

That dar is just plain 'ol wrong.

I dont think anyone really enjoyts to fight. Fighting does not make anyone feel good unless it is mutual and kind of like sparring where no one gets hurt at the end. competition isnt like that, the aim is to brutalize your opponent before the brutalize you. Now pure grappling, thats a different story.

Generally, martial artists are good guys. I rarely see them in a testosterone high ego competition, but it does happen. Just dont go saying that competition is just about satisfying the ego.
    I dont think thats true. most middle upper and upper class people around the world and especially in countries with long history of ma like china associate martial artists with gangs/thugs/criminals. It has always been like this and martial artists were always violent, with constant challenge matches and death duels. I dont think it will ever change truthfully. Only the internal arts seem to have "got it right".

http://www.mma.tv/TUF/index.cfm?ac=L...D=619357&FID=1
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=269685
    http://www.mma.tv/TUF/index.cfm?ac=L...67&FID=1&pc=25
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24810

Again fighting someone to hurt them and fighting someone to restrain them or sparring (play fighting) are totally different things. WHen you fight someone on the streets it is to survive and hurt them as badly as you can before they hurt you. Some competitions (that allow striking) are similar but have a greater safety factor. People that like to fight alot generally have no compassion for other people and psychological issues. Most of the old school kung fu guys Im guessing fought because they had to not because they liked it. Also as I mentioned martial artists were generally always looked down in society and still are today.

I think martial artists have gotten the whole "what is ego" question bent out of shape for too too long. lol

ego is simply the conciousness that you are. You are a seperate being from other beings and from the world around you.

ego isn't dangerous, it just is. without it, you wouldn't be able to understand reality at all. People who are truly without ego are generally schizophrenic in other words.

ego is not all the other stuff merry is going on about, but I agree that self doubt, self aspersion, deprecation etc etc all play a part in ones performance.

But without your ego, you wouldn't have any of it, never mind the minimal desire required to compete or fight in the first place.

so as a broader shout out to ma-ists. Before we go on with more saying what ego is when in fact that is not what ego is, just look it up and avoid the temptation to over interpret.

.:EGO:.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I thought ROT was banninated?
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt
    btw vash, hope all is well re: our previous PM correspondence

Indeed it is. Yesterday was my first day back under the iron, and tomorrow is my first day back in karate. The ITB is still a little stiff, and there's still some clicking in the hip, but it's not longer painful. Weak, yes. But no pain. The Physical Therapy is definetly helping.

So long as keep stretching and strengthening, I think I'm going to come through all right.

No complaints, at least this far. Thanks for the help!
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

David, before you go off being a jerk :P...

I was using ego in the colloquial sense, not the technical sense.

I am fully aware that ego is nothing but the sense of self.

But this isn't a psychiatric clinic! (Well, maybe....)
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Vasquez
    Understandable you want to roll with everyone in class. We all start out as bullies but eventually with good coaching / punishment from the master we learn martial ethics and philosophy.

I think you misunderstood him. Rolling with everyone is fine - it's SUPPOSED to be that way. that's how you get better. What MP is saying is that there are some guys who only like to roll with guys they know that they can beat. It's really not about martial arts ethics. It's just simple human nature - a good arse kicking is very humbling. In sport styles, these arse kickings tend to be frequent. Thinl back to the elementary school days with the class bully and the kid that finally stands up to him - there isn't always MA involved in these cases. The bully gets his butt kicked, then he begins to think - "hey, someone out there can beat me up...what happens if the next person I mess with is also one that can beat me up?" He just got humbled.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Asian lesbian ketchup orgy?? Dam Chris, why can't you be a magical genie and grant that wish?
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust