Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Self-defense Articles...

Arrow Self-defense Articles...

I found this awesome article resource for self-defense topics. If anyone else has a few good sources to add, I'll sticky this thread for posterity. Let's get this Self-Defense Forum rockin' again fellas. Everyone on the KFM board should have a few interesting things to contribute here. With 7,000 active members you'd think at least a few wanted to practice Martial Arts for self-defense reasons! Let's make this forum a good place to find such information.

Self-defense articles...
    Last edited by Samurai Jack; 08-01-2005 at 04:49 PM.
    Bodhi Richards

Here's another good article covering non-lethal combatives training from the FBI's website. Not bad at all.

Read it.
    Bodhi Richards

A point fighter argues in favor of his practice. I'm not sure I agree 100% with everything he says, but here it is.See for yourself.
    Bodhi Richards

Dear Mr. Jack:

Please continue to post these articles; it is much appreciated. Additionally, does anyone have any books on this subject of which they might recommend?

Not that I'd need it, since the dim mak seems to work well in these situations.

Sincerely,

dimmakseminar
    -----------------------------------------------
    Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.

Alright, you asked for it dim'. Here's a link to an entire series of articles designed as "tips for self-defense". It seems to be quite exhaustive, although I've not had a chance to wade through everything...

Enjoy!
    Bodhi Richards

self defence from an african perspective

http://www.urbanshield.za.net

these guys are friends of mine, and grew up amongst some of the most violent people around. Though the cultures of the country dictates certain behaviour patterns, the psychology of violence is the same where ever you are
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

There''s some good stuff there.

Your first link Jack has some interesting things but the guy advocates pressure point strikes as part of a situational response (in 'Beer, Brawling and Brotherly Love'). Personally I would say they're nothing more than a useful bonus.

The Point Fighter appears to be on crack, which is without a doubt a fairly effective street technique. While he has a point about readiness, he uses the words 'Pavement Pugilist' which will guarantee a beating!

Eddie, that site not only has some excellent reality advice, but also the priceless, soon to be overused expression "Your wheel's spinning but your hamster's dead" RAOFLMAO. ****ing hilarious!

Personally, I know some people on the board think his stuff's a bit obvious, but in line with KISS I still think Darren Laur is excellent.

Well, I guess it's offical. I'll sticky this thread as our article archive as well.

Mat, I agree with you on the "point sparring street-lethal" article. The fellow does offer a little comic relief though, no? Really, I think that sparring is a great exercise, but to effectivly teach self-defense skills, the student must be introduced to increasing levels of intensity. Point sparring is merely the first step on the long road to full-contact.

Here's an article about the man who has single-handedly tranformed the way law-enforcement officers are trained in defensive tactics. He's spearheaded the movement from brutal skull bashing police tactics, to more humane "restraint and control"; two values most people are sorely lacking. Although he's championed the cause of socially responsible law enforcement, he's sacrificed nothing in the way of effectiveness. Without further ado, I give you... Robert Koga!
    Bodhi Richards

An excellent set of articles by Marc MacYoung and his wife:

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com...tfighting.html

Thanks for the link northernArts!
    Bodhi Richards

Excellent reads.
    Only Dragons Understand Dragons. A minute, a word, a teaching of a Dragon is a lifetime of wisdom!

Gosh!! I've been criticized for saying those same things right here on some of these threads!!

I guess I haven't written a book or made my own website yet! If I do that will I get to have some cred too!!

Don't get upset! I'm kidding about the second part!! What is important is some people get the information into their thick skulls not who gets the credit. But it is noteworthy to mention that apparently it isn't the truth of the matter that is important, but who says it!

Oh yeah, and it is a great article and needed to be said!

I just found more articles on Marc MacYoung's website, and I must say there is a HUGE amount of info here. Check it out:

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/
    Last edited by Samurai Jack; 09-17-2006 at 10:53 PM.

More interesting articles for our archives concerning the U.S. Marines combatives program:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=26437

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0102/010402nj2.htm

Here is an awesome article giving details for protecting yourself from Homeless Criminals, by Loren Christensen. The article is honestly, in my opinion one of the most valuable in our archives.

http://www.burrese.com/Personal_Secu...eet_people.htm