Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Self-defense Articles...

RUFNTUFGIRL, don't feel too badly about yourself.

No matter what anybody says, ANYBODY can be easily defeated in a street fight. Training, athleticism, and experience can be all rendered ineffective by a stray bullet or a horde of attackers.

I don't know what kind of situation you were in, but you seem to have escaped it well enough to be able to post here. You're ALIVE, and that's what counts.

I'm very happy for you, RUFNTUFGIRL.

It sounds like you did as well as you could have. You escaped pretty much unscathed, and the bruises/cash will heal. So you should consider yourself a SUCCESS STORY.

As far as "seeing it coming", even the best training cannot completely eliminate the element of surprise. I am not sure if you should be "annoyed" with yourself, particularly since your attackers were probably waiting to catch you off guard.

Just take care of yourself, and be careful without becoming paranoid. I'm simply happy that you're not tried by 12 (jury) or carried by 6 (dead)!

Quote Originally Posted by RUFNTUFGIRL View Post
    I thought I could defend myself, but I was wrong. I needed to protect myself the other day and I could not. All this time I felt that I was more than capable, but when put to the test I failed terribly!
    Hi RUFNTUFGIRL,

This incident has opened your eyes to the fantasy of martial arts and self-defense. You now have an experience to measure your skills, training, style and school against. This is a good experience for you in that you now know you had fantasies about your abilities. Use it to grow in your martial arts experience. Question everything. Reflect on the event you experienced and ask yourself what your mistakes were, what you did that was ineffective, and change your training according to what you find.

Attitude has a lot to do with success in real life encounters. It is important to understand this and train your attitude as well. An aggressive attitude, absent any skill at all has saved many people in times of trial. Learn to present yourself with strength and confidence. Predators seek out the weak and defenseless.

Strategy is important as well. What you do and when you do it can allow a lesser skilled person to succeed where a highly skilled person might fail. Learn to think strategically. Develop situational awareness and learn to psychologically guide a situation.

Now is when your real training can start!

Talking

Hi i read this thread on reality self defense and thought it's interesting, really got some good tips and ideas on self defense http://www.pragmaticmartialarts.com/...hp?topic=253.0