Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yi Jin Jing

Does anyone here consider yi jin jing a form of iron body training?

thanks for any thoughts on this

Yi Jin Jing

Does anybody know, practice, or has practiced this style of Chi Gong? I would like to discuss it.

In particular, what is it suppose to do/enhance? What did it do for you? Did you ever get hurt or know someone who got hurt practicing it?

Greetings..

I practice it.. it is purely a health oriented QiGong, and a great supplement to 8 pieces of the Brocade..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

health? dang, we mustn't call yi jin jing the same thing. This Chi Gong as I know it is hard. It has 14 exercices. The first exercices consists of making a fist, except that the thumbs "rests" on the hips, and with each slow respiration, you make your fist tighter and tighers.

Btw, what does Yi Jin Jing means?

Yi Jin Jing

Hi There,

Yi Jin Jing = Muscle and Tendon Changing.

Some people use it for health, where some people use it as a supplement for other forms of qi gong.

Though the original intention behind this form of qi gong, was to build up a stronger and healthier physique, by increasing the qi and blood circulation to the muscles, tendons and joints to help enhance the natural strength.

Primarily monks used this qi gong either prior to or after meditation, to help them recover from their long hours of meditation and kick start the body into action.

Regards
    Dave Stevens

Does anybody know, practice, or has practiced this style of Chi Gong? I would like to discuss it.
    Not anymore but it a great exercise
    In particular, what is it suppose to do/enhance? What did it do for you? Did you ever get hurt or know someone who got hurt practicing it?
    The idea is strenghen the tendons and muscles and allow qi to flow since qi is flowing thru the main merdians good health results.Also since you are tensing and relaxing the muscles you are able to guide qi to them allowing them to withstand blows.The exercise for me helped strenghen my wrist.I can not think of anyone getting hurt from it unless they assume they developed an iron body and try to break things over there body which could result in harm.I guess from a nei gong standpoint it's possible to strain yourself or screw up but this exercise is generally safe best thing to do is try it slowly.

Its a great exercise - once you finish the set you feel like a million dollars

Bob,

Did you learn this Yi Jin Jing at the temple from visiting monks? When the monks came I asked Master Chan if they could teach us this exercise but the one they taught is not the "Real" Yi Jin Jing. Or it's a Yi Jin Jing and not Da Mo's Yi Jin Jing. Anyway, I was deeply dissappointed with what they taught as Yi Jin Jing. To me, what they taught was more like a stretching exercise.

>TaiChiBob Greetings..

>I practice it.. it is purely a health oriented QiGong, and a great supplement to 8 >pieces of the Brocade..

>Be well..

I've got the temple version, if anyone wants to have me put a detailed description of everything up for this forum. My teacher never specifically said that I couldn't show people this, so it's probably okay. Maybe. Sorta.
    This is a signature. It's on each of my posts.

Thumbs up This is my favorite exercise

I learned it with the older transliteration of "I Chin Ching"

The set I know consists of 49 postures done with hard chi breathing where you "hiss". It is good for health but also a very intense strength, flexibility, and balance workout. The first posture is the same as the one stated above, making fists. from there it goes into all sorts of difficult postures in which no part of the body is left out. To me it seems to be a blending of chinese hard chi kung with indian yoga, which fits in well with the story of its creation by Ta Mo. The way it works (supposedly) is by creating muscle tension in specific body parts, then using the breathing and concentration to send the chi there, where the tension traps it and causes it to build up progressively. Once you do all the postures every part of the body has been flooded with chi. Without even considering the chi aspect, its still an enormously difficult physical workout.

This is by far the most difficult exercise set I have ever come across. To do it properly with the correct number of breaths would take no less than 8 solid hours.
    The benefits are many, including greatly increased strength, energy and endurance. If I could only do one exercise, this would be the one.

ok, you may commence the anti-shaolin-do rhetoric

Shaolin Yi Jin Jing 易筋經 : Fake or not Fake?

Shaolin Yi Jin Jing 易筋經 : Fake or not Fake?

One of the most argued about Qigong sets was always this set.

The common story is that the Yi Ji Jing (Muscle-Tendon Chang Classic) arose from Damo's (Bodhidharma) teachings.

Shaolin researcher, the late Shi De Qian in the Shaolin Encyclopedia said that this Damo origin story cannot be documented by historical record and nor can its authors or sources be substantiated.

Martial arts historian Tang Ha said that this story was first found in the preface of an 1875 edition of The Yi Jin Jing book by Surig Kuang-So called the Weisheng Yijinjing. In it, a first preface is said to have been written by Li Jing, a great military officer of the Tang Dynasty (618-906 A.D). It is dated the second year of the reign of Emperor Tai Zung of the Tang Dynasty (about 629 A.D). A second forward in this book claims to be written by General Niu Gao of the Song Dynasty.

All research so far by many people has shown these prefaces to be fake and full of erroneous information. (For example: in the first preface, Shaolin temple didn't even exist yet when it was claiming the date that Damo had created it! The second preface mentions a Qinzhong temple that wasn't even built yet till 20 years after the date it gives for itself!)

Shaolin researcher Matsuda Ryuchi found mention about the existence of a Yì Jīn Jīng only as far back as 1827. In the course of his research, Matsuda found no mention about Damo at all in any of the numerous texts written about the Shaolin martial arts before the 19th century. Thus, there were no mentions that he created any sets either.

But the actual movements themselves?

Historian Lin Boyuan attributes the Yì Jīn Jīng to a Taoist priest named Zining, writing in 1624.

So, I don't think the movements are fake as some people today claim (not the actual old time historians that researched this), just the prefatory information given in the book, which contradictorily claimed it to be a Taoist art that came from a Buddhist origination point. It seems that the movements existed way before this book came to be published.

There also are supposedly known to be the same physical movements in Qigong sets with different names written about from other time periods. I remember reading that the movements originally came from what farmers did in their daily chores, such as when constantly moving heavy rice bags using ergonomic movements without getting sore muscles.

I once saw a hand written book that was passed down for generations from Shaolin via (early 16th century) Yi Quan's lineage (which led to Choy Gar's founding) mention the Yijinjing type movements as being a "Luohan 12 section Brocade" Qi gong set.

Today, the definitive and respected version (for its therapeutic value) of the Yi Jin Jing is considered to be the 12 Posture Moving Exercise that a Wang Zuyuan learned at the Shaolin Temple. There are two anciently written and illustrated routines known of this Yi Jin Jing set, one from Chen Yi’s “A collection of Annals” published during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) and another more recently published in 1882, from “Internal Work Illustrated”, which is that of Wang Zuyuan.

In practicing this set, Taoist neigong, and Indian Yoga, I find that although there is much from Taoist Daoyin that can be seen in the Yi Jin Jing, equally there are movements and postures that are very very close to Indian Yoga postures.

How they all got together, I don't know.

Wow, you really did your research. I don't know about the history, and I don't know about it's qi gong applications, but I do know that I practice Yi Jin Jing every morning and can attribute some substantial physical ability to it (especially flexibility). I know that it is thanks to this, because when I do other exercises instead of Yi Jin Jing, I do not feel these benefits, when I first started practicing it, I felt major benefits within the first couple of weeks. So I don't know the history, and it sounds like no one really does (though good luck with your search) but I do know that it is effective.
    Qi Gong Sifu - Empowered Yin Style
    Check out my blog about Chi Development:
    ChiDevelopment.blogspot.com
    It is foolish to punch glass, but much more foolish to punch glass when it was not your target.

Quote Originally Posted by SifuPaladin View Post
    Wow, you really did your research. I don't know about the history, and I don't know about it's qi gong applications, but I do know that I practice Yi Jin Jing every morning and can attribute some substantial physical ability to it (especially flexibility). I know that it is thanks to this, because when I do other exercises instead of Yi Jin Jing, I do not feel these benefits, when I first started practicing it, I felt major benefits within the first couple of weeks. So I don't know the history, and it sounds like no one really does (though good luck with your search) but I do know that it is effective.

That seems to be the general consensus, the movements have therapeutic value regardless of origin.

I found one source where this set was call Taizu Yi Jinjing, Grand Ancestor Yi Jin Jing.

(Oh, I decided to add a signature to my posts, going with the flow and all that, heh)
    My Martial Arts articles archive:

http://www.bgtent.com/naturalcma/index.htm

Shaolin Qigong / Neigong Healing & Self Defense Programs and Seminars:

http://www.jindaolife.com
    http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchool/index.html

Qigong Program: http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchool/QigongProgram.htm
    Chinese Martial Art Program: http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchoo...ArtProgram.htm

Shi De Qian (RIP) taught a fantastically detailed version of the Yi Jin Jing.

You can get a VHS or DVD copy from MartialArtsMart here in this site!

I highly recommend it.

I think there was a poster of him doing all the movements too, to use as a memory jogger.
    My Martial Arts articles archive:

http://www.bgtent.com/naturalcma/index.htm

Shaolin Qigong / Neigong Healing & Self Defense Programs and Seminars:

http://www.jindaolife.com
    http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchool/index.html

Qigong Program: http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchool/QigongProgram.htm
    Chinese Martial Art Program: http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchoo...ArtProgram.htm