Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Wing Chun Fighters? Where ya at

Quote Originally Posted by Airdrawndagger
    Listen to your heart(inner voice), it never lies.
    I would say that this is apparently an elusive skill that requires a higher level of self-knowledge than the majority of people have available to them. The number of instances are inumerable where an individual made dreadful mistakes, which they end up deeply regretting later on, but at the time were made with full faith, and heartfelt confidence that they were absolutely doing the "right thing".

Maybe the key is to question and challenge ourselves more intensely rather than having "faith"??

-Lawrence
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceofidaho
    Thank you for emphasizing this.

It also made me think of something clever and cool that Andrew N. posted a while back that is worth repeating (paraphrased): "The gap between theory and practice is a lot smaller in theory than it is in practice."

-Lawrence

Wait a minute...

Do you mean to say that someone actually reads my posts? (Who knew?)

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...1&page=5&pp=40

I don't have much vanity, so give me credit for this one.

"I didn't say half the things I said." -- Yogi Berra
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunTao
    detroitwingchun.com You are missing the point. One can't rely on physical strength especially later in life. One can't UFC, full contact or whatever at 60, 70, 80, or 90 years old (most people don't practice martial arts for this reason).

Physical strength will disipate with age but if you practice Iron Shirt, Chi Gong, or any other Internal Martial art this process will be slowed down. That is why the above was created and expanded on by Daoist (1st) and Shaolin Monks (2nd) all those years ago. To keep muscle and bone density and the whole body supple.

Chang San Feng's Internal ideas/principals still live on today and have been used in the past (History) by poeple like: Yip Man, Dao Mo, Eddie Chong, Agustine Fong, Leung Sheung, Duncan Leung, Woo Fai Ching, Sun Lu Tang or any other Internal Martial Artist throughout history.

They all have (Above names) what 'Bruce Leroy' was searching for in the movie 'The Last Daragon' the "Glow". "Is it in Ya".
    And since many of us Internal Artists (Grandmasters included) spend our time cultivating these Ideas along with our Mind, Body and Spirit we don't bother with UFC pipe dreams. Really, Have you ever taken down a man, old or young, who has Internal power. It is pretty darn hard. If one practices this stuff then eventually one will get the "GLOW"

"Riddle me this" should have read "why are ther no 50, 60, or 70 yr. old guys fighting in UFC or Pride" But i will give you 'Couture'.

As you said, "Pro fighting is a young mans sport" and we should leave it to the young men, whatever the discipline or rules. Anyone can cross-train all they want but, as one ages and there is no supplementing the training with Chi Gong, Iron Shirt or any of the Internal methods then it "may" be hard to grapple, hold, or take down whomever one is fighting. Doe you as a MMA practice Internal methods?

Like I said, you "Can't Disregard 2-3 thousand years of Chinese Martial History and Tradition". "Our Past Is Our Future". Wing Chun is new compared to other martial styles, but it, like all other Asian-based martial arts share one common denominator. They all have and share the same 2-3 thousand year old Chinese History and Traditon as its foundation. Even MMA has its History and Foundations. Do we disregard that too?

I must go now. Must continue the search for the "Glow"

Good job,,”WingChunTao” on your presentation on explaining Chi Chung and age…

I think 98% of the people knows and believe in what you are saying…

Ali Rahim.

detroitwingchun.com

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceofidaho
    I would say that this is apparently an elusive skill that requires a higher level of self-knowledge than the majority of people have available to them. The number of instances are inumerable where an individual made dreadful mistakes, which they end up deeply regretting later on, but at the time were made with full faith, and heartfelt confidence that they were absolutely doing the "right thing".

Maybe the key is to question and challenge ourselves more intensely rather than having "faith"??

-Lawrence
    People make mistakes all the time for "inumerable" reasons including trying to challenge themselves more intensely. But what is the driving force that stimulates us to further our practices?
    You have to have faith in your abilities otherwise you will never reach a higher potential. If we are to challenge ourselves more intensely than what is the driving force behind the challenge? What is the motivation?
    That we will become better at what we do by believing we can become better. Otherwise whats the point?????

Let's Get Real For A Change!

You can still do chi gung if you crosstrain various arts so that you're covering all the bases: standup/clinch/ground.

And for that matter, people like jiu jitsu great Helio Gracie, who still rolls at age 90, and Catch Wrestling great Karl Gotch, who still gets on the mats at age 78, are two examples of martial artists who don't necessarily do chi gung, but their own versions of exercises and regimens that accomplish pretty much the same results seem to be working just fine.
    Last edited by Sihing73; 07-31-2005 at 11:32 PM.

Victor said:

And for that matter, people like jiu jitsu great Helio Gracie, who still rolls at age 90, and Catch Wrestling great Karl Gotch, who still gets on the mats at age 78, are two examples.

I got five on it,, that they can take a Championship today!!!! why shoo you right...

Ali Rahim.

detroitwingchun.com
    Last edited by Sihing73; 07-31-2005 at 11:31 PM.