Thread: crane spreads its wings

Prairie Guest

crane spreads its wings

I think this is a pretty decent little toss. What type of technique is it? I feel that it could be a ward off type thing but is especially nasty with some splitting action.

Seeya! :)

khinbu Guest
    Are you talking about Yang style Baihe Liang Zhi? Well, it can be Lie (splitting) with a leg sweep, a left hand down An and right knife hand attack to the neck, it also can be a shoulder throw. And I believe there are some more applications. But basicly it is Splitting.

Wish for peace

Sam Wiley Guest
    Well, there's a bunch of applications, but the one it sounds like you're talking about seems like a split technique. From a shoulder stroke to the chest, you circle the right hand up behind him and bring it across his face, then hook your left foot in behind his ankle and throw him that way, right? Yeah, split.

"I put forth my power and he was broken.
    I withdrew my power and he was ground into fine dust."

-Aleister Crowley, The Vision and the Voice

count Guest

Prairie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I think this is a pretty decent little toss [/quote]
    I'm not sure if you are talking about the post or the application but yes, I agree. It's a preety good toss!
    :D

Prairie Guest

thanks dudes

Yep, the 'official' name of the thing is "Bai he liang chi"

The particular instance I was referring to comes close to the beginning of the chen style 1st form. I would expect similar applications from other styles though.

I never thought of the left hand as a press, but I guess it could be if taken alone. I was thinking that it was the other side of the split. Wait, I think that's what you meant WFP. I never thought of the right hand as a strike either, but thanks for the idea :)

Sam, you caught exactly what I was thinking about. This splitting business seems to be pretty common in taiji.

Count, I was referring to a technique ;)

Sam Wiley Guest
    Most of the applications I learned for that posture are strikes. But when I learned that one, and it is indeed particularly nasty, I loved it. I did not learn it as an application for my Yang style Taiji form, though, it was an application I learned for the same posture done in one of the Wudang Taiji forms. In other of the forms, there are similar "splitting" techniques, but that one is the only one that I have learned so far out of them that has a leg sweep, the others are just the hands doing it.

And yes, this kind of "splitting" movement is very common. It is effective, quick, and is usually done in the perfect position for attack...behind the other person.

"I put forth my power and he was broken.
    I withdrew my power and he was ground into fine dust."

-Aleister Crowley, The Vision and the Voice