Thread: OT: Music: Attn Bass Players

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

OT: Music: Attn Bass Players

Just bought a Marcus Miller live set called "The Ozell Tapes"

nice, very nice
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

how long have you been playing?

not long enough.

less than a year and all self taught...basically I suck.

been looking for some inspiration to spend more time on it....

you?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Wait a second, are you trying to say someone has used a bass as a musical instrument?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

i played for a couple years as a teenager.

i got really good at fingering but always had the rythem of a white man.

my girfriends says the same .
    where's my beer?

I have benn playing for about 3 years on and off

Quote Originally Posted by Oso
    not long enough.

less than a year and all self taught...basically I suck.

been looking for some inspiration to spend more time on it....

you?

you have to start somewhere.

What kind of music are you into by the way? Finger or pick?

I play guitar.. Attached is a pick of most of my gear...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/knuckl...bum?.dir=/6544
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tofthejunk.jpg

Listen to some Jaco Pastorius, as in the late, apparently he was beaten to death outside a bar some years back. An excellent bass player if you're looking for some inspiration!

it's been a long time desire to learn to play bass

believe it or not, i posted here to get advice when i started looking to buy a bass last fall...got some good advice.

found this bass used but looking brand new for $250, in the ash finish

http://www.dillionguitars.com/bass/e...400/index.html

i've got a cheap ass Rogue amp but I'm not going to invest in a better one till i actually start playing this thing regularly...

sadly, what I want to play is funk and punk probably the two hardest styles to play. I'm playing some reggae and some bluegrass as well...none of it well mind you.

Mostly finger, the only thing I'm using a pick on is Longview by Green Day.

thanks, i know about Jaco, got some stuff. I also listen to Victor Wooten...would like to get to the music camp thing the Wooten's do in Tennessee every year...maybe I could get to see if Vic's Wing Chung skills are any good.

I love cheap equipment Oso. From 1978 on I've been playing a real sweet Sam Ash Les Paul knockoff that I tricked out with brass hardware and split coil pickups. A real work horse when I was touring and could only drag one guitar around.
    I own one name brand guitar and it's a custom made by the factory Gretsch that nobody can place, not even Gretsch except it's possibly based on one of the Jet models. It's a real pretty guitar that looks something like this but blond and with slightly different controls.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

bass players

cool discussion.
    jaco rules the world, no doubt. he changed bass and bass playing forever.
    but------>
    check this out:
    Percy Jones: Cape Catastrophe
    http://www.percyjones.net/
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...g=UTF8&s=music
    enjoy,
    ~doc
    "he listened to the devil and learned that EVIL KUNG FU... but he saved the temple"

-arhats in fury

Tony Levin would be another suggestion. He comes up with the most incredible hooks, very innovative imo.

Smile

All good players. Don't be discouraged listening to these guys with monster chops. Agood book for funk and walking bass is Chuck Rainey's. BTW, I'm a guitar player that wishes he were a bass player.
    And todays' joke is: How many country bass players does it take to change a light bulb? They don't, the piano player does it with his left hand.

Other great bass players are Will Lee, Duck Dunn, Tina, Weymouth, Paul McCartney, Billy Sheehan and of course Jack Bruce. One great and virtually unknown bass player is Carol Kaye . She was a session ace back in the day and a member of the "Wrecking Crew".
    Last edited by rogue; 08-14-2005 at 11:44 AM.

DM

I think the bass player from this band has a really cool style - really drives the songs along

You can listen to tracks here:

Interpol
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan