Thread: Kung Fu MMA List

Kung Fu MMA List

Inspired by posters on the quitting kung fu thread, i think it would be a cool idea for people to post examples of schools like shooter that do well in MMA.

Ross is a prime example, lets get a list going.

I think you just exhausted the list.

No formal school to speak of, but my old teacher Nikita Johnson did well in NHB/cage matches several years ago and has alot to offer to the aspiring trainee here in Chicago. He teaches a form of JKD, including classical Wing Chun, boxing, grappling, Ted Wong JKD, etc.

Still, I'd have to recommend Shidokan based on it's reputation, and I think Shonie Carter is affiliated with it. Not kung fu though.
    But they are more likely to be abreast of the latest changes/developments in MMA than my old teacher.

Do I have to do everything myself?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM
    If you are in Ontario and are looking to fuse MMA with Kung Fu you should look up Master Paul Chau in London, Ontario. He operates out of a Kwoon called Northern Black Dragon Martial Arts. His school has recently won a string of MMA and Jiu Jitsu medals at amateur events. These events are very new in Ontario which had a moratorium on Kick Boxing until recently but his gym is definately one to watch.

He is also my Sifu in Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    Too bad you're in Canada - Chris Heintzmann has been having success with Tai Chi modified for MMA/NHB, but he's based in NC. Our non-profit branch, The Tiger Claw Foundation, is supporting a workshop by him here (SF Bay Area) later this month. Check out the link for more...
    Do I have to do everything myself?

anerlich on the WC forum trains at a WC school that has fielded some guys that did well in local mma tournies.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Paul Rosado's Chinese Kickboxing Club trains both traditional and MMA style.

We (BSK) havent put anyone in MMA events yet, concentrate on Sanda/Sanshou, but down the road who knows?

Maybe we could also expand this to just full contact fighting AND San shou.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I had a lei tai match scheduled with Chris Heintzman but he had signed a pro contract just before so he couldn't fight an amatuer bout...which was a good thing for me as I'm pretty sure he would have whipped my ass.

I did meet him and saw some of his fighters that day.

I thought he was Hop Gar????

What about Lei Tai as a full contact venue?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I don't see why not.

The equation always seems to come down to contact, not venue.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    anerlich on the WC forum trains at a WC school that has fielded some guys that did well in local mma tournies.
    Yep, Rick Spain's group in Australia I believe.

I actually started a thread just like it but it wasn't as popular so I just wanted to make sure that Northern Black Dragon in London, Canada got added to the list.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.