Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Butterfly Swords

Talking Wing Chun Butterfly Knives

Does anyone know where would be the best place to purchase these knives from? I'm looking for something that's really good, authentic, etc. Something you would purchase! Not a cheap imitation or junk! Thanks for the Help!

teazer is right....

best I've seen
    Aaron Vyvial

"If you want to be good, you will be"

Moy Yat Kung Fu Academy

training video

Butterfly Knives

Hi everyone, my sifu has told me to buy a pair of butterfly knives so he can start to teach me the knives form.

I can't seem to find anywhere that sells them! I live in London, does anyone know where I can buy a pair?

Many thanks

Marco

try shaolin way in newport street i think
    i bought mine from there very cheap
    good luck
    later

this is where i ask a really stupid question -

knives, or swords?

knives - no idea, they are not legal in my country.

swords - I have a pair of the tigerclaw ones, I love em.

Neurotic
    'If someone wants to fight you, run a mile. If they are still behind you after that, run another mile. If they still want to fight, and it is really worth it, turn around and beat the living !*$!% out of them, 'cause they will be really tired.'

HI

I believe they are called knives because of their size/shape (single edge).
    In Chinese I think what we call knives are called daggers (usually have two edges).

David

Please excuse me while I do an impression of Gene Ching here

Butterfly swords/knives for sale.

Purchasing from there also supports the forums. And a good currency converter can be found here

http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic
    I have a signature.

why not ask your sifu? he must have gotten his knives somewhere. he might even be able to get you a good deal.

i dono where my sifu got my knives, but they're **** nice
    Travis

structure in motion

Originally posted by TjD
    why not ask your sifu? he must have gotten his knives somewhere. he might even be able to get you a good deal.

i dono where my sifu got my knives, but they're **** nice
    If you train with Russell, there's a good chance he got them from World Class Craftsmen. The particular style they manufactured were based on specs by Ip Ching. I think it's been some years since they manufactured them though. Too bad, best quality craftsmanship I've seen. I had hoped they would eventually manufacture them in the other common style as well (the pointier version), but not holding my breath.

Regards,
    - Kathy Jo

I got mine from the www.qimagazine.com.
    They are very good quality,Michael Tse ships them over from China.I paid around £100 for them a year ago.
    I"me not sure if he still has any.
    Contact the Tse Qigong Centre on 0161 929 4485

As your in London, I wouldn't know where to get them or what the shipping issues are. There are plenty of places in the states to buy them if need be. I would imagine that the UK has many as well.

There seems to be a few different types of butterfly knives. The typical southern type are large and seem to be used for a lot of slicing motions. These are the typical ones you see in magizines. Leung Ting was the first person that I was aware of that pointed out that wing chun used different types. He has a much smaller and narrower one that is better used for stabbing. So, just to be sure, I would ask your sifu before you spent any money to make sure you got a set that is compatible for you. I have been told that the length is also important and is relavant to the individual.

Wing Lam at www.wle.com makes some slick looking weapons custom made. As he is a martial artist, I would trust that he understands a bit about the nature of what he is making. He does carry several types of butterfly knives from the cheap ones to much better quality to custom made. The custome made ones are quite expensive and I would only reccomend them to the very serious practioner who has some bucks. LOL. But they are nice.

Also, any one know what Yip Man's knives looked like? I wonder if there are photos at either the Yip Man Tong or VTM that show his knives. Any one know where he got them?

Tom
    ________
    FREE KMART GIFT CARDS
    Last edited by tparkerkfo; 04-04-2011 at 05:43 PM.

How can I tell a 'good' pair of knives from a 'bad' pair. As I havent yet had any experience of learning the knife form I don't know what I should look for.

Do they all come in the same size/dimensions?

Marco

Originally posted by kj

If you train with Russell, there's a good chance he got them from World Class Craftsmen. The particular style they manufactured were based on specs by Ip Ching. I think it's been some years since they manufactured them though. Too bad, best quality craftsmanship I've seen. I had hoped they would eventually manufacture them in the other common style as well (the pointier version), but not holding my breath.

Regards,
    - Kathy Jo
    yes i do train with him. (i try not to mention it because i dont want my beginners opinions reflecting on his ability or our school - politics are bad ). He ordered a couple pairs of knives last year, and they look the same as the ones our older students have... so perhaps they still are making them?
    Last edited by TjD; 03-08-2003 at 09:57 AM.
    Travis

structure in motion

Butterfly Swords

Anyone have any good information or resources to share that talk about the history of the use of butterfly swords in Wing Chun (or other arts that use this style of weapon). In particular, traditional training methods, the development of their shape/size, their use on the battlefield, the mindset behind using(or training) them, etc.? Were they ever trained with one sword, or a sword/short knife combo, or any other combos?

Again, just looking for some input for resources on the history of their use and development. Not really looking for pictures on how to do forms, more the story line behind this Wing Chun weapon.

Thanks for the help.

Wilson
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Either Peace or War