Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Butterfly Swords

Said I would keep this thread alive so thought I would post an update....

Been using my new swords now for well over a month and have found them great. Used them for fair bit of sword vs pole word in our clubs weapons classes and they seem bullet proof. Two ther guys have brought some too from our club and they are great too, one has the curved blade ones, they look crazy to me feel good in the hand and are of the same quality as mine. Would definately recomend a pair if you are looking affordable as they are much better than anything else I have seen over the years.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingchun100 View Post
    Said I would keep this thread alive so thought I would post an update....

Been using my new swords now for well over a month and have found them great. Used them for fair bit of sword vs pole word in our clubs weapons classes and they seem bullet proof. Two ther guys have brought some too from our club and they are great too, one has the curved blade ones, they look crazy to me feel good in the hand and are of the same quality as mine. Would definately recomend a pair if you are looking affordable as they are much better than anything else I have seen over the years.

Hope this helps.
    Hello Wingchun100. Are those knives suitable for sparring vs other swords and metal weapons? Is wingchunworld sourcing their knives from Everythingwingchun ?

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    Hello Wingchun100. Are those knives suitable for sparring vs other swords and metal weapons? Is wingchunworld sourcing their knives from Everythingwingchun ?
    I cant see that they are from everything wing chun as they are much cheaper, I looked at swords from everything wing chun loads but just couldnt bring myself to pay £250+ and then have to pay the massive import duty.
    I am not going to smash my up metal on metal as I now have my old pair to use, but they seem pretty bullet proof if that is what you want them for. They seem much stronger that other swords I have used in the past for weapon on weapon.

So I contacted Aaron over at www.everythingwingchun.com because the knives at wingchunworld linked to here;

http://www.wingchunworld.co.uk/butte...-out-113-p.asp

Looked remarkably similar to the ones made by everythingwingchun linked here;

http://www.everythingwingchun.com/Ra...-sasq-d2-s.htm

Aaron informed me that even the picture used at wingchunworld is perhaps one he took himself and he tells me he can even see the copyright mark on the picture despite attempts to remove it. Anyway, I'll post what Aaron said below.

<quote>

We are the only makers of these swords and if you ever see them anywhere else you can be guaranteed they are forgeries.

I am not sure what you would get if they actually delivered you something, but I can tell you for sure you will not get the same thing as well sell. Those pictures are ones I took myself and so I know they are not of the product they have. I can even see where they blotted out copyright notice out. We have seen Pakistani knock-offs of our designs and they are cheap materials and cheaply made. I assume that is what these are.

Best,

Aaron

</quote>

Wingchun1000, given that you started a similar thread here, http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...tterfly-Knives, I feel I must ask you if you are involved with wingchunworld in any way?

EDIT: It seems wingchunworld has removed their listing of the Randall-Sasquatch-Style sword. It looks like my inquiries are having an impact.
    Last edited by Paddington; 02-10-2014 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    So I contacted Aaron over at www.everythingwingchun.com because the knives at wingchunworld linked to here;

http://www.wingchunworld.co.uk/butte...-out-113-p.asp

Looked remarkably similar to the ones made by everythingwingchun linked here;

http://www.everythingwingchun.com/Ra...-sasq-d2-s.htm

Aaron informed me that even the picture used at wingchunworld is perhaps one he took himself and he tells me he can even see the copyright mark on the picture despite attempts to remove it. Anyway, I'll post what Aaron said below.

<quote>

We are the only makers of these swords and if you ever see them anywhere else you can be guaranteed they are forgeries.

I am not sure what you would get if they actually delivered you something, but I can tell you for sure you will not get the same thing as well sell. Those pictures are ones I took myself and so I know they are not of the product they have. I can even see where they blotted out copyright notice out. We have seen Pakistani knock-offs of our designs and they are cheap materials and cheaply made. I assume that is what these are.

Best,

Aaron

</quote>

Wingchun1000, given that you started a similar thread here, http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...tterfly-Knives, I feel I must ask you if you are involved with wingchunworld in any way?

EDIT: It seems wingchunworld has removed their listing of the Randall-Sasquatch-Style sword. It looks like my inquiries are having an impact.
    Interesting post, no not to do with me apart from being a customer. I posted threads on multiple sites when I was looking for my knives and updated them for a couple of months afterwards???
    My club has now brought a load of kit from Wing Chun World including some Everything Wing Chun Swords and the curved looking ones that you reffer to above, which are still being sold there. The stuffs been great there own swords are good and lasting well and the guy that brought a pair of the Flagship line everything wing chun swords from wing chun world let me have a go and they are fantastic if your looking to shell out that sort of money.

I dont really understand what your post was about paddington and I have no wish to get involved other than to let people know where I managed to get my swords and what they were like.

I hope the post helped some people.

Hi,

They are only £150 .....

Thanks
    Dude, only £150 sounds a lot for only a pair of training Bart Jarm Dao.
    I recently bought myself a pair of training Butterfly knives Name:  P1010002-S.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  49.5 KBName:  P1010004-S.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  65.7 KB
    SPEC
    Stainless steel Blade and guard
    made in Taiwan
    Blade length = 14'' (36 cm) UNSHARPENED
    Blade Width = 3'' (75mm)
    Blade Thickness (actual) = 1/8'' (3.0mm)
    WEIGHT = APPROX 1 kg EACH - QUITE HEAVY
    COST = 53.75 EUROS APPROX £43 INCLUDING SHIPPING FROM POLAND TO UK - NO CUSTOMS ISSUES AROSE.
    They don't come with a case but you can buy one separately.

SUPPLIER:
    http://martial-arts-shop.eu/
    LINE ITEM
    http://martial-arts-shop.eu/product/...l#.U-ox7KNO6XE

They are a bit long and heavy, but I plan to cut my down to about 12'' and taper the blade also. I'm not planning to sharpen the blade.
    Last edited by Tong Chuang; 08-12-2014 at 08:29 AM. Reason: clarification - case not included

Wing Chun is a Puzzle, enclosed in an Enigma, set within a Mystery!
    The Truth is Out There - Somewhere!

Interesting post, no not to do with me apart from being a customer. I posted threads on multiple sites when I was looking for my knives and updated them for a couple of months afterwards???
    My club has now brought a load of kit from Wing Chun World including some Everything Wing Chun Swords and the curved looking ones that you reffer to above, which are still being sold there. The stuffs been great there own swords are good and lasting well and the guy that brought a pair of the Flagship line everything wing chun swords from wing chun world let me have a go and they are fantastic if your looking to shell out that sort of money.

I dont really understand what your post was about paddington and I have no wish to get involved other than to let people know where I managed to get my swords and what they were like.

I hope the post helped some people.
    You are a little late to the party with your post. After I pointed out that wing chun world was ripping off everythingwingchun, the respective parties were put in communication with one another and the latter offered to supply the former. In a way I played a part in that supply line being set up.

My question to you all the way back then was to assess whether you are a part of wing chun world, which is the commercial arm for an actual wing chun club or at least is run by someone who is also in a particular wing chun training club. So, what is the name of your wing chun club? Is it the same one that wing chun world is an offshoot of?

As for wing chun world still selling those curved blades, well, I will let Aaron sort that out for himself.

I too have a pair of 'flagship' standard knives form Aaron, the 'tough as hell' pair at an inch longer length than those Aaron supplies to wing chun world. They are a great pair of knives and are beautifully balanced. They are very addictive to use too and I find myself using them everyday, much to the lament of my neck and shoulders.

Hi,

I live in the uk and I have been trying really hard to find some butterfly knives that are affordable and just decent quality, the pair I am using came from Pagoda and the blades have started to wobble.

I have found these oh a UK site called Wing Chun World and just wondered if anyone has a pair and could let me know if they are ok. They are only £150 so I am not expecting miracles but just want a pair I can train with that I am not scared of loosing the blade!

http://www.wingchunworld.co.uk/silve...ords-117-p.asp

Thanks
    Tried everything wing chun?

GM Live 2017: Benny Meng

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I call 'em 'butt knives'

After boxerbilly's disparaging This forum sucks, I thought I might pump a little luv into this subforum. It's not easy. It's our most specific style forum so it seldom pops up on my newsfeeds, and typically my workday morning posts fall out of my surfing for stories. Most aren't worthy of reposting.

Here's the first one I've found for this WC revitalization campaign. I'll just leave this here.

Never a dull moment: Butterfly swords break out at Wing Chun Kung Fu in Lakeland
    By Bill Kemp
    Posted Jul 16, 2018 at 6:39 PM
    Updated Jul 17, 2018 at 7:24 AM

LAKELAND — Butterflies may be harmless, but butterfly swords “can ruin your day.”
    The 11- to 14-inch Bart Chum Dao swords, dubbed butterfly swords through the centuries because of the way a pair folds and their appearance displayed on walls, are being taught as part of the daily training workouts at Sifu Och Wing Chun Kung Fu in Lakeland.
    Butterfly swords come in pairs, hold a dull edge, and have curved brass guards — one surrounding the bottom of the handle and a second protruding perilously to a point along the spine of the blade.
    “The swords were originally from the Buddhist monks, so only the top curve was sharpened. These were not swords they used to kill people. They were Buddhist and didn’t believe in killing anyone. But they would break bones, tear limbs and really ruin your day,” explained Sifu Justin Och, 39, a black and gold sash fifth degree master instructor and owner of the dojo.
    “The handle of the sword can be used just like brass knuckles in close range. The back of the sword is also butted out if you want to hit with the back of it,” said Och, who has been involved in martial arts since his grandmother enrolled him Kenpo Karate at age 7.
    “The cool thing about these swords is because there are two of them, you can block and attack simultaneously and you can smack other weapons off.”
    Sifu Och Wing Chun Kung Fu, founded in 2007, currently has 193 students — 265 counting the after-school program — teaches butterfly sword fighting to students once they grasp the fundamentals of Wing Chun and reach an intermediate level of combat in the discipline.
    “The swords are really an extension of your hands. You need really good wrist power and they can get kind of heavy at times even though they weigh about 1 ½ pounds each,” said Garrett Brumfield, 42, who teaches and trains at Sifu Och’s Tampa dojo.

“The swords make a workout very interesting and your arms can get very tired. You would not have them with you in a real-life situation but if you had two sticks, you could use the same movements. We also train with a long pole and that can be translated to a broom if it was available.”
    Sarah Lister, 22, just started working with the swords a month ago. She holds a second-degree black belt from Kenney Karate, where she trained for 10 years. She moved over to Wing Chun three years ago and now also holds a green-white sash belt.
    “The swords are definitely different, a lot heavier and deadlier than anything I have used before. They give me a feeling of responsibility,” Lister said. “The easiest part is translating the Wing Chun into the swords adn the most difficult part is learning not to cut yourself. It’s slow at first but the speed picks up as you go.”
    Och said Wing Chun, a close-up blend of attacking and defending kung fu, was developed by five Chinese monks 350 to 400 years ago and the swords soon followed.
    “It is made to have some of the best of the best of Southern Shaolin Kung Fu systems. If is like the Southern Shaolin’s system of mixed martial arts.
    “Monks were attacked on their way into town to sell their goods or on the way back. They were being murdered, beaten, battered and bruised. This new system could be learned in three to five years if you trained it all day, and then you could use it in a very bad situation.”

Och said monks could conceal the swords very easily in their clothing and have them ready for combat in seconds. Additionally, the swords were useful for cleaning fish and other daily activities.
    “The swords use same movements and techniques that Wing Chun does, which is to block and attack simultaneously,” said Och.
    A pair of butterfly swords retail anywhere from $225 to $500, but you get what you pay for.
    “The cheapest pair I have ever seen was $150, but you will usually get a warning not to use them for real practice. They are only for display purposes,” Och said.
    “We have some made custom here. I have a gentleman, who is a blacksmith over in Europe, and he designs the swords from scratch for us.”
    Och also studied Shotokan karate as a youth but eventually switched to Wing Chun after getting in a bad fight while exiting a bus. He described himself as that “geeky-looking kid” and was picked on a lot as a teenager.
    “I started looking for something a little bit more realistic for self-defense. The other forms were great for me as a kid but they weren’t really teaching me anything realistic for self-defense when I got into those bad situations. That is what brought me to Wing Chun in 1999,” Och said.
    Och finished the Wing Chun system under four different lineages. He is now the regional director the World Wing Chun Athletic Association and has traveled to 14 different countries, training with masters and grand masters.
    Bill Kemp can be contacted at Bill.Kemp@theledger.com; follow him on Twitter @BillKempSports
    Anyone know Sifu Och?

And here's some cheaper Butt Knives...I mean Butterfly Swords.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart