Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Butterfly Swords

Quote Originally Posted by stuartm
    They look cracking knives Phil!
    I think so as well. I was very impressed with the knives. They are real combat weapons. I'm ordering more of them. The man who is having them made in China for Sifu Cheung also makes other weapons. He demonstrated how good they are by cutting through a bundle of straw like the Samurai did. I had to have a pair after seeing how easily they cut through the straw bundle.They are oil "cooled" as opposed to water cooled. Now what that means I have no clue. Maybe someone here can explain if and why that is better.
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Phil

They are oil "cooled" as opposed to water cooled. Now what that means I have no clue. Maybe someone here can explain if and why that is better.

Oil or water is just what they use to "quench" the steel after it has been heat treated. Oil gives it a good hardness and is less likely to crack the steel and has a more uniform hardness throughout the blade. Water is more likely to crack the blade and depending on thickness, the hardness will be less uniform throughout the metal. Water quenching will also cause the blade to be more brittle and susceptible to breaking, chipping, etc. because it lowers the temperature of the blade faster. It just depends on the application which is better. For knife blades oil would definitely be the better of the two.
    Last edited by cobra; 12-21-2005 at 05:56 PM.

No swordmaker would ever water quench a quality piece of steel to begin with so it's not really an issue! I would pay more attention to the type of steel actually used to craft your sword. High carbon (e.g. 1095) means better edge retention and more "toughness" but also more work keeping rust off the blade (oiling regularly). Stainless is good for staying clean but is not quite as good at holding the edge, so you spend more time sharpening. If your going to be cutting stuff on a regular basis I would go with high carbon, if not choose stainless. Forget those chrome plated swords, the steel is usually crap.

P.S. Phil you should see my WEED WHACKER cut through a bundle of straw! No it's not for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by cobra
    Oil or water is just what they use to "quench" the steel after it has been heat treated. Oil gives it a good hardness and is less likely to crack the steel and has a more uniform hardness throughout the blade. Water is more likely to crack the blade and depending on thickness, the hardness will be less uniform throughout the metal. Water quenching will also cause the blade to be more brittle and susceptible to breaking, chipping, etc. because it lowers the temperature of the blade faster. It just depends on the application which is better. For knife blades oil would definitely be the better of the two.
    I used the word "cooled" as opposed to "quenched". That shows I had no clue.
    Thanks,
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by snakebyte8
    . . . . P.S. Phil you should see my WEED WHACKER cut through a bundle of straw! No it's not for sale!
    When I come to visit T.O. next month I'll have a few Toonies in my pocket and we'll see.

I'm going to ask what type of steel is used in those knives.
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Some of you have already ordered the knives. There are only two left until more come from China in a few weeks/months. Anyone interested email or PM me.
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

The knives we have now are high carbon steel. We will have Do made from Damascus steel that is folded 2000 times in a few months. I will have a pics of them in a few days. They are made in China by sword makers who are personal friends of my Sifu. Some will have the TWC logo on the blades for those who want it. Of course we will have them without any logo for other WC practitioners. We sent two pair to a group member. He should receive on Monday. If he likes he can comment on them here.
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond
    Next to my Cold Steel BJD the ones that Sifu Cheung had made in China are the best I've seen. All of mine are gone but Keith Mazza should still have some. They are combat ready and only sharp near the top portion of the blade as the BJD should be for combat. He can be contacted at 856-231-0362. I was going to psot a pic of the knives but the file is to large. I'll make it smaller later then post it.
    Phil
    Phil,

Where did you buy the Cold Steel BJD?
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by AmanuJRY
    Phil,

Where did you buy the Cold Steel BJD?
    I bought them from Cold Steel. They used to have they on their website but they've discontinued them. They can pierce through a car door as can most Cold Steel weapons. I can take a pic of them and post it later on.
    Phil
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 01-13-2006 at 01:29 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Well I got 2 sets frim Phil ,
    real nice blades , so nice niether my partner [who i gave a set to for a b-day present ] nor myself wanted to bang them up with the pole ha-ha ,
    but then Gary grabbed mine and started hacking of tree braches with a big smole on his face !
    thanks Phill
    when you get some more in i will see if the guys want to pick some up !
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

AmanuJRY, here are some pics of the Cold Steel BJD

Do-case

Cold_Steel-Do
    Phil
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 01-17-2006 at 03:49 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie
    Well I got 2 sets frim Phil ,
    real nice blades , so nice niether my partner [who i gave a set to for a b-day present ] nor myself wanted to bang them up with the pole ha-ha ,
    but then Gary grabbed mine and started hacking of tree braches with a big smole on his face !
    thanks Phill
    when you get some more in i will see if the guys want to pick some up !
    Thanks for the endorsement bro. When we get more I'll call you. I'm getting a pair with black blades for myself.
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

AmanuJRY, here are some pics of the Cold Steel BJD

Do-case

Cold_Steel-Do
    Phil
    Thanx Phil, those look pretty cool.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by AmanuJRY
    Thanx Phil, those look pretty cool.
    YW, I'm not sure why they discontinued making them.
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

YW, I'm not sure why they discontinued making them.
    Phil
    I'm sure it had to be supply and demand. The cost to produce a Lot of them (or however many they produced) vs. how many people looking to buy a combat quality Do.
    Sapere aude, Justin.