Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Butterfly Swords

So how much does a good pair of Butterfly swords usually go for?
    "Beware of entrance to a quarrel, but being in, bear't that the opposed may beware of thee."-William Shakespeare

They can pierce through a car door as can most Cold Steel weapons.
    I might try that with my CS folder next time I come across an abandoned car.

Hatsuyuki, it depends on where you are and your definition of "good" but you're probably looking at minimum $200 on up. Top quality custom jobs from professional knifesmiths could retail for thousands - by all accounts making them is a long, arduous, and difficult process.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Butterfly Swords

Hi,

I live in the uk and I have been trying really hard to find some butterfly knives that are affordable and just decent quality, the pair I am using came from Pagoda and the blades have started to wobble.

I have found these oh a UK site called Wing Chun World and just wondered if anyone has a pair and could let me know if they are ok. They are only £150 so I am not expecting miracles but just want a pair I can train with that I am not scared of loosing the blade!

http://www.wingchunworld.co.uk/silve...ords-117-p.asp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wingchun100 View Post
    Hi,

I live in the uk and I have been trying really hard to find some butterfly knives that are affordable and just decent quality, the pair I am using came from Pagoda and the blades have started to wobble.

I have found these oh a UK site called Wing Chun World and just wondered if anyone has a pair and could let me know if they are ok. They are only £150 so I am not expecting miracles but just want a pair I can train with that I am not scared of loosing the blade!

Thanks
    They are too heavy at the end of the blade , mine are more balanced and much lighter
    Last edited by MOSHE; 11-17-2013 at 04:22 AM.

Hi,

Thanks
    Nobody sells decent useable knives in the UK. They are all for show and will not resist the battering they get from sparring. I am having some made at present and as soon as I've made sure the metal is durable enough they will be available to the public to buy. If you want me to keep your details in mind then PM me.

These ones are made to WSL spec. I will post a photo if there is interest.

Remember these knives are for sparring against other weapons. They are not for show. They have no sharp edges or points and are designed to take a beating.
    "Ving Tsun is a horse not everybody can ride"

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Nobody sells decent useable knives in the UK. They are all for show and will not resist the battering they get from sparring. I am having some made at present and as soon as I've made sure the metal is durable enough they will be available to the public to buy. If you want me to keep your details in mind then PM me.

Remember these knives are for sparring against other weapons. They are not for show. They have no sharp edges or points and are designed to take a beating.
    Hey why can't we all have a butchers at these Spiecial Wsl knifes were they endorsed by Wsl ?

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Pm me for a contact who makes them to wsl specs.

I am very much interested Graham. No offense Kev but your man is not very reliable, or so it seems from my end!

Hi,

Thanks
    I found someone locally in essex that has got a pair of the stabber swords
    http://www.wingchunworld.co.uk/silve...ords-114-p.asp
    from Wing Chun World so I went to take a look yesterday. They handle really well, feel balanced and are a great weight, they seem really strong and surprisingly well made for the price. The finish isn't as good as the EWC knives I have seen but not far off and they are much more affordable for me. They actually look and feel great for £150.
    I comparison to the ones I have been using with the cast aluminium handles and wobbly blade they are fantastic so I have placed my order.

Hope this is useful to some of you

You must have more money than sense.

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by Jansingsang View Post
    Hey why can't we all have a butchers at these Spiecial Wsl knifes were they endorsed by Wsl ?
    One of my current knives. Aprox 1 kilo. Although there may be subtle differences, depending on who makes them, the knives we use in WSLPBVT are all of this design. They are based on WSL's specifications.

Wong Shun Leung.

Talking

Looks Fantastic Graham, especially for trapping!

Looks Fantastic Graham, especially for trapping!
    Unlike your usual knives these are designed for sparring. The edges are blunt so we don't turn our poles into sawdust and for sparring other swords/knives they can withstand a good clash without fracturing or sending lots of swarf flying through the air. The hand guard is designed for maximum protection and also for punching and blocking. The tang is small so we don't get tangled up on other weapons like what can happen with the usual big curving ones. The weight of the knife is aprox 1 kilo for conditioning the arm and the wrist to be able to control the knife during fighting. This also increases punching power. The length of the blade is so that we have good protection whilst angling into long weapons but without making them cumbersome.

The problem is that not many people use Ving Tsun knives for sparring and hard drilling. For making a few applications against a pole and or just learning to twirl thinking that they are not an integeral part of the system then your usual knives will do.

Wong Shun Leung.

Unlike your usual knives these are designed for sparring. The edges are blunt so we don't turn our poles into sawdust and for sparring other swords/knives they can withstand a good clash without fracturing or sending lots of swarf flying through the air. The hand guard is designed for maximum protection and also for punching and blocking. The tang is small so we don't get tangled up on other weapons like what can happen with the usual big curving ones. The weight of the knife is aprox 1 kilo for conditioning the arm and the wrist to be able to control the knife during fighting. This also increases punching power. The length of the blade is so that we have good protection whilst angling into long weapons but without making them cumbersome.

The problem is that not many people use Ving Tsun knives for sparring and hard drilling. For making a few applications against a pole and or just learning to twirl thinking that they are not an integeral part of the system then your usual knives will do.

You can see from the offset these are made for action rather than show Hmm i see you've been putting them Knifes through there paces saturated edges quite impressive Graham And it does make logical sense Small tang, as usual ones do get tangled I can buy that You can PM me with price etc Sold to the man in the Hat

I will let you know the price in the coming weeks. My new ones are still in development. Once they are to my liking....................................

Wong Shun Leung.

We use heavy swords for reps and building the wrist strength, and then PU knives for weapon vs weapon. They dont have the weight but there stronger and last longer than the metal ones and we learnt the hard way about those serrations that you get in the blade, they are seruiously more dangerous than even a sharp edge! By tang I guess you mean quillion which is what we call the trapping section on the top of the handle, it is one of the key aspects of the wing chun swords that makes them different from any other and if your not training with it your missing out.
    I guess this is what makes Wing Chun so great, there are so many different opinions on everything and we all will always think our way is best.

All the best and stay safe