Thread: Seeking New Roads

Seeking New Roads

Someone asked me the other day "why did you study Wing Chun and not any other style?" My answer was that I enjoyed the practicality and ideas that were presented to me about the Chun. When that person left, I realized the truth was that Wing Chun happen to be the martial art I had found. Nothing more. Unlike some others, I do not have great amounts of time and effort to pursue many different styles and instructors. I have felt that I enjoy Wing Chun and the family I am with, while always having respect for the other styles and lineages of Wing Chun. I believe that the pursuit of excellence is in applying it to yourself, regardless of who is your teacher or lineage. One should always have an open ear if what someone else is saying has some relevance and validity. Wing Chun exists, with or without you. What changes is your kung fu. Adding high kicks, grappling, and whatever is YOUR KUNG FU!

It is interesting to note that different Yip Man instructors appeal to different types of individuals. The art of Wing Chun is not a finite set of rules. It is only the foundation. The "little" beginning! Everyone starts with Wing Chun but then gradually move to their own Kung Fu. Their own "Jeet Kune Do". This is called interpretation and that is why everyone may have started with yip man, but all of them have their own ways to language what they learned. This is not solely based on politics. This is human nature.

One of the things I have learned in the Kung Fu is the sense of family. I have never had the need or urge to change to another family. Could I learn some things from other families? Another instructor outside my group? Absolutely. If it helps my Kung Fu, sure. Most notable instructors respect your relationship with your own Sifu and if you show sincerity are willing to share.

Sometimes I get the impression from these posts that they feel the instructors of Wing Chun owe people something. If you have never hung out with any of the grand masters, then this may be why. They are martial ARTISTS. A persons' experiences are invaluable and no one feels they have to share them with anyone because of some obligation. When it is your time, should you feel this way of "owing", let's see how willingly you let loose your knowledge for someone just because they have the right dollar amount.

A previous post discussed leaving a training "situation" to pursue another. I would like to get feedback on why people leave, for example, a school or instructor? Let's understand that everyone should be free to pursue learning more from books, videos, others, etc. When you leave the kwoon, the no one knows but you what you do and who you talk to.

But what makes you feel you need to go to another camp? Change lineages? For example, did you play hands with someone of the other lineage and you sensed a better understanding through their "way"? How did you distinguish between it being you and not the instructor or their method? Did you see your instructor lose or perform badly against someone else? Did your instructor do something you did not agree with? Does your present group formally prohibit you from going outside to other sources? Finally, did you go back to your Sifu and share what you experienced?
    Good Luck with your Kung Fu....

When that person left, I realized the truth was that Wing Chun happen to be the martial art I had found. Nothing more.
    And people think I'm joking when I answer the question of why I do any of this with "Habit."

"Why did the chicken cross the road?"

"I don't know. Why does a chicken need a reason to do anything?"

When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com