Thread: Karate Kid: The Musical

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

this should get a tony award, because it is probably making many people cry.
    Last edited by yutyeesam; 07-06-2005 at 11:09 PM.
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

what the ****!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

hello Im new to this board but Ive been reading this magazine for a long time
    anyway this show has got to be the worst thing that came out of america thats towards martial arts in a long time, and thats saying something, Ive seen crap but this is complete sh*t, it mocks every martial artist, and how they train

ttt 4 2021

A necrothread from 2005.

WAX ON. WAX OFF.

BASED ON THE COLUMBIA PICTURES MOTION PICTURE WRITTEN BY ROBERT MARK KAMEN
    INSPIRED BY HIS ORIGINAL, SEMI-AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL STORY

COMING TO BROADWAY
    World Premiere Beginning May 25, 2022 at STAGES St. Louis
    Join the newsletter list below to get updates and priority access to tickets.

The Karate Kid – The Musical
    BASED ON THE COLUMBIA PICTURES MOTION PICTURE WRITTEN BY ROBERT MARK KAMEN
    INSPIRED BY HIS ORIGINAL, SEMI-AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL STORY

Book by
    Robert Mark Kamen

Music & Lyrics by
    Drew Gasparini

Scenic Design
    Derek McLane

Costume Design
    Ayako Maeda

Lighting Design
    Bradley King

Sound Design
    Kai Harada

Choreographed by
    Keone and Mari Madrid

Directed by
    Amon Miyamoto
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Premiered

‘The Karate Kid: The Musical’ makes world premiere in Kirkwood

by: Stephanie Rothman

Posted: Jun 1, 2022 / 10:42 PM CDT
    Updated: Jun 2, 2022 / 08:30 AM CDT

KIRKWOOD, Mo. — An iconic franchise took center stage with the world premiere of “The Karate Kid: The Musical” Wednesday night at the Kirkwood Performing Arts Center.

The long-lasting success of “The Karate Kid” has been turned into movies, a TV show, and now a musical.

“We’re all really excited and invested in the story and how it’s grown,” said Leah Berry, a St. Louis native and understudy for Lucille/Swing. “I think you will leave the theatre wanting to be a ninja.”

The musical has been in previews for a week, but on Wednesday night, it reached a milestone with its debut in the St. Louis area. The story of a teen beating his bullies with help from his sensei, Mr. Miyagi, originates from the screenwriter’s own life.

“I was writing a small little movie that was very personal to me with my experiences with a karate teacher, and I never expected anything,” said the original screenwriter of “The Karate Kid,” Robert Mark Kamen. “Didn’t expect five movies and did not expect ‘Cobra Kai’ and definitely did not expect a musical.”

“I’ve been working in theatre since I was 10, but I’ve never originated a part of this magnitude,” said actor Jake Bentley, who plays Johnny Lawrence. “You take this stereotypical antagonist like Johnny, and you’ve got a whole lot of layers that make his character so fleshed out.”

It’s a big role to live up to, especially when legendary actor Martin Kove, who played John Kreese in the original film, comes to see the musical live in action.

“I’m really interested to see how far they go with it, where they go in the realm of villainy, where they how far they go with vulnerability,” said Kove. “Is he really the one-dimensional guy that was in the movie, or is he a multifaceted character that we’re finding out about John Kreese in the series? Plus I want to see the songs.”

“You’re right there, and they’re spitting on you because you’re so close,” Kove added. “But the words are so rich and so fantastic that I think the experience is more emphatic. The experience is more direct and meaningful than the cinema.”

Those songs are a new way to watch the characters sweep the leg and strike first and strike hard.

“The pressure of this title is on all of our shoulders, but the joy of bringing this style of music from ok to heavy metal to pop-rock all kind of in this sonic landscape, for me as a creative person, it’s a joy,” said Drew Gasparini Okinawa, composer and lyricist for “The Karate Kid: The Musical”

The musical will run through June 26 and then move to its new home on Broadway soon after.
    Are they so sure it'll make it to Broadway?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart