Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Close up of real Chinese swords

Quote Originally Posted by YangLiCheng
    i obviously left his school shortly afterwards

LOL!, Its hard enough just to teach how to USE the weapon.

Good point. One of the greatest masters I know of is wrong about some of his history. I know others who know the history well, but suck as both teachers, and practitioners of martial arts.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by hung-le
    The Vikings also had pattern welded swords …but either the know how or tradition stopped around 900AD

YangLiCheng is dead on! Pattern welded/ folded/multi layered whatever you called the process, did as far as they can tell originated in China, during the warring states period (our Bronze age) and Archeologist and Historian think probably the Japanese learned the process from the Chinese. I would love to find out were the Viking learned tit from….self discovered…or trade with the far east?

However, as far as function goes, a sword that is hammered on of a billet and heat tempered correctly is just as good as a pattern welded sword. The pattern welded sword looks way much cooler…but the ability to keep an edge/resist shock are the same.

actually, no. during the warring states, cast iron had replaced bronze tools for centuries. bronze swords were still in use but new alloys were being made

i just hope everyone knows by 100 B.C, forged high carbon steel swords undergoing the process described in the previous posts had completely replaced bronze weapons (read this again and again people)

i can't emphasize this enough since they're are kung fu shi fus that publish books that claim CHinese didn't use steel for swords until after the Tang dynsaty

and btw, the japanese did learn the process from Chinese as i've mentioned a million times, the japanese call it the san mai process which is direct vocabulary from spoken Chinese.

"there isn't 100 layers, the varying plates/different steel alloys are folded to make the blade thinner"

hmm.. fold a piece once, you have 2 layers
    2 becomes 4
    4 becomes 8
    8 becomes 16
    16 becomes 32
    32 becomes 64
    64 becomes 128

that's 2 to the 7th power.
    7 folds creates well over 128 layers.
    you've obviously never done this before.
    why try to educate others on the subject?
    just post your pics and say, "hey this is cool"

also, the clay has NOTHING to do with the "grain"

My question:

Do you have any links for purchasing chinese weapons like these.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

You have to order them through ZhengwuTang Laoshi. I will say though after handling some of their blades they are quite beautiful but very heave. Average weight is 2 1/2 pounds, pretty heavy for forms but they are quite beautiful for collectors.

I just spoke with the guys over at the "Black Lotus Society" and they will be carrying a bunch of swords from Huanuo. Good stuff, all reproductions of antiques with very functional blades.

I am used to the heft of the hanwei practical plus katana. I use it for extra weight in my dao forms when I practice at home. Either that or I use a wooden dao. Personally I dont like wushu swords for practice other than in class.

I guess my main question is, is there a link where I can view the different merchandise, prices and other information? like a website or some other form of advertising.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

There seems to be a lot of interest (judging from the number of views this thread has received) in Chinese swords so I thought I'd post a few (crappy) photos of mine.

Late Qing/Early Republican era blade with reproduction fittings, handle, and scabbard.

P.S. CBishop, if you would like to see the restored blade in person, PM me and we can get together again.
    Last edited by corwin1968; 07-17-2006 at 07:14 PM.

Or

If you are wanting a REAL sword and dont want to have to go all the way to china or japan to get one AND you can afford them visit this website

http://www.angelsword.com/

They Make the real thing, Not sure the process. But have seen these blades up close and watched them chop other expertly forged weapons from china/japan/USA right in two. The are always at the renaissance festival every year here in Texas.

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968
    There seems to be a lot of interest (judging from the number of views this thread has received) in Chinese swords so I thought I'd post a few (crappy) photos of mine.

Late Qing/Early Republican era blade with reproduction fittings, handle, and scabbard.

P.S. CBishop, if you would like to see the restored blade in person, PM me and we can get together again.

Nice pics. Blade profile and grain remind me of a sword I picked up in a Pingyao curio shop. The owner kept saying it was a ming sword in hopes of inflating the price but I was pretty certain it was late Qing - Early Republic. Considering the simmilarities in the blade I think I may have been correct. I'll try to post pics the next time I develop a roll of film.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Sheng Guanglong 沈广隆,Chinese tradtional sword exhibition.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart