Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese Archery-lost martial art

Yeah, here you go. Archety, national pass time of Bhutan

It was bhutan I was thinking of.

Nice pics here
    Last edited by Liokault; 07-07-2005 at 10:57 AM.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

people like stephen selby and myself are working to bring more awareness and interest in Chinese archery and ancient Chinese military culture in general. i've gotten my girlfriend into archery but she uses a Korean/Scythian style recurve bow (much more suited to women and children anyways so its perfect for her)

i'm getting tested for my horse riding certificate some time in the next year. then i'll be able to join the International Horse archery federation

i'm already known in my local archery club for being able to draw a 110 pound bow.

Got antiques?

YangLiCheng
    If you're "working to bring more awareness and interest in Chinese archery and ancient Chinese military culture in general" perhaps we can work together. See this post.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Scythian Archery is a lost martial art. lol

People in China still practice archery like anyone else though don't they?
    I mean all history aside, no one uses a celtic recurve anymore either.

Bow and Arrow technology is ancient no matter where you go.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The zen of archery

Oh I beg to differ. Pick up a modern hunting bow sometime. The technology in modern bow hunting is anything but ancient. Bow hunting is fairly popular here in the states. Bowhunter Magazine is probably bigger than any MA mag - I'll have to look through the newsstand stats to confirm this.

The practice of traditional archery is like the practice of any traditional weapon. I only dabbled in archery, mostly because I was horrible at it, but I have a lot of respect for it, especially kyudo since that's the form I'm most familiar with. Anyway, you gotta have skillz. Numchuk skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills… girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    Oh I beg to differ. Pick up a modern hunting bow sometime. The technology in modern bow hunting is anything but ancient. Bow hunting is fairly popular here in the states. Bowhunter Magazine is probably bigger than any MA mag - I'll have to look through the newsstand stats to confirm this.

The practice of traditional archery is like the practice of any traditional weapon. I only dabbled in archery, mostly because I was horrible at it, but I have a lot of respect for it, especially kyudo since that's the form I'm most familiar with. Anyway, you gotta have skillz. Numchuk skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills… girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.
    Hey G~ I doubly beg to differ as there is a segment of traditional bow hunters out there who do not use compound bows and opt for super quality recurves.

These can get upwards of 60lbs test or so and have no pullies, no fancy sites and no technology that hasn't been available for at least a few thousand years, although I would think some of the polymer resins are likely a little stronger.

My last bow was one of these fine pieces. My Dad has it now, so I'll probably get it again one day , but despite all the tech leaps in Bows and arrows, there is that group of traditionalists out there is all I'm saying.

Now those Kyudo guys in japan, well that bow is funky but the art is all about zen.
    Mind you, any sort of weapon like darts, bows and arrows, spears and anything else that leaves your hand to strike a target has some zen involved.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    YangLiCheng
    If you're "working to bring more awareness and interest in Chinese archery and ancient Chinese military culture in general" perhaps we can work together. See this post.
    hmmm no offense gene but the reason i joined was because people on the sword forum were mad at your article about the supposed "wei jia broadsword"(no such thing)

how much ancient weapons or modern weapons made the ancient way have you handled personally

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    Scythian Archery is a lost martial art. lol

People in China still practice archery like anyone else though don't they?
    I mean all history aside, no one uses a celtic recurve anymore either.

actually, no. people still practice scythian style archery. Korean archery is actually very similar to Scythian style.

widespread practice of Chinese archery is pretty much dying or dead. i'm one of the few left dedicated to this art form. once i get my horse riding certificate and become good at horse archery, i'll be able to represent my people's ancient glory on the battle field at the International horse archery festival

YangLiCheng

hmmm no offense gene but the reason i joined was because people on the sword forum were mad at your article about the supposed "wei jia broadsword"(no such thing)
    Excellent! Then perhaps you can help rectify the situation by setting us straight, in print. Do you want to help? Does anyone at sword forum want to help?

how much ancient weapons or modern weapons made the ancient way have you handled personally
    I worked as a full-time swordmaker for about five years at The Armoury, a division of American Fencer's Supply - we made replicas for use in stage combat. We weren't a forge; we bought blades from old European forges and fashioned fittings and such. During that time, I supplemented my income dealing in antique and modern-made swords at gun shows and by word-of-mouth. I've continued to work full time in the CMA field, now for over a decade, and for two separate companies. Part of my job at both companies was to look at samples, both modern and antique, also to seek out new suppliers, so I've personally inspected a few forges and such. My position as a buyer has allowed me to see a lot of unique stuff. So I've had some experience, more than most if you'd call over a fifteen years of professional work in the industry more. How about you?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

two bows

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Produc...01&p=0&i=2210X

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Produc...34&p=0&i=6342X

I think I might actually score the cheaper one for my birthday this year.

"commercially" produced and not traditional materials but I've been wanting to buy a traditional bow for a while now...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Is there any difference between the chinese archery and western style archery? How many different ways are there to fire a bow?

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I found this

http://www.atarn.org

some cool stuff in there.

http://www.atarn.org/festival/festiv...ival_album.htm

the links to 'letters' on this page are to letters AND pictures

http://www.atarn.org/letters/ltr_oct03.htm
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Cool pictures.
    That is one thing that Asian Archery traditions do that Western don't and that shooting from horseback! That's just too cool for words.
    A lot of neat looking bows, they seemed to use a variety of anchor points and methods to hold the bow string. The tiny Korean bows looks like they're going to snap in half.
    I notice a couple people using some sort of archery glove or tab, but no one seemed to have any sort of arm guard (bow string can sting).
    Although I'ld still love to see someone use a bow like I saw in Jet Li's movie "Hero". Lay down, put the feet on the bow and draw back with both hands.

I did notice a couple people demonstrating had their guide feather facing the wrong way. That's good way to strip that feather right off.

when I was really young, Ive read stories about great archers in ancient China. just some stories came to my head, Lu Bu, 3 kingdom, his famous accuracy documented in official history of "San Guo Zi" where he claimed he could shoot a flag pole down 250 steps away while he is sitting down. And he did it.
    2. The famous folks tale (I forgot the name of the story but this person is a actual person, might be one of person listed above) long story short, a archer and an old man, old man claims he could pour oil into a jar with a coin (chinese anint coin with hole in the middle) on top of the mouth of the jar. The oil will not wet the coin meaning a stright line. old man did it, the archer ask the secret, the old man says, "at first I see the jar the coin and everything else, after a while, I see only the jar and the coin, I dont see surroundings, then more practice, then I only see the coin, then one day, I see nothing but pour the oil, no jar, no coin no nothing, only me and the oil, emptyness. The archer took the lesson and put it into his archery practice, and later he became a famouse archery master.
    HR