Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Chinese Archery-lost martial art

YangLiCheng,

while the basic fundamentals of archery are essentially the same, Chinese/Asian archery is a whole other world from western archery. everytime i go to the archery range, a big argument erupts afterwards about different methods and styles

its far more than the obvious Composite Recurve vs Long bow problem.

draw style, release method, overdrawing methods, nocking methods, stringing/unstringing, optimal angles. plus, western archers don't shoot from horseback
    Tell me about the differences (more then just the horseback thing). I'ld love to hear them. How far away are the targets for horseback shooting? The few video clips I've seen it looks to be about 20 yards or so.

My only point before was that the hard part in archery (as with all shooting sports) is getting that consistant shot. Someone who is accomlished at western archery could pick up a chinese bow and expect to be fairly competant. Is it going to be different, sure, are they going to hit bullseyes right away, probably not. If nothing else at least appreciate the differences and pick it up a hell of a lot faster then if they sat around all day waiting for a Chinese Archery master to show up at their door.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Scott
    YangLiCheng,

Tell me about the differences (more then just the horseback thing). I'ld love to hear them. How far away are the targets for horseback shooting? The few video clips I've seen it looks to be about 20 yards or so.

My only point before was that the hard part in archery (as with all shooting sports) is getting that consistant shot. Someone who is accomlished at western archery could pick up a chinese bow and expect to be fairly competant. Is it going to be different, sure, are they going to hit bullseyes right away, probably not. If nothing else at least appreciate the differences and pick it up a hell of a lot faster then if they sat around all day waiting for a Chinese Archery master to show up at their door.
    i originally gave you a bunch of examples of differences WITHIN Chinese/Asian archery. you can imagine the differences east vs. west

the technological differences are pretty obvious (eastern composite recurve bow vs European long bow)

but things like draw method, release method, nocking method, preferred draw weights, etc,etc are more cultural differences but still different. I'm not going to go into too much detail because this is a forum. i'd rather show you anyways

but honestly, you should believe me. i'm 22 and i've been doing archery since i was 13)

it also has alot to do with history. European archers were expected to soften up the enemy before the infantry rushes in to finish them off. Eastern warfare, many battles were purely decided on the skills of their cavalry and infantry Archers.

so european and asian archers were expected to do different things.

no one in their right mind would expect a western style archer to fire off 7-13 consecutive arrows accurately under one minute but Chinese/Asian archers were expected to do these amazing feats both on foot and on horseback (yes, i've actually seen a horse archer shoot 12 arrows accurately in under a minute)

so my point is that wanting to learn one style of archery and substituting it with a completely alien style will only give you life long habits you won't want to break once you get accustomed to it

if you want to learn Chinese/Asian archery and can't find an instructor, do the opposite of what mighty scott suggests and just sit on your ass reading as much about it as humanly possible. you might be able to figure alot of it out on your own anyways
    大將軍冉閺萬歲

I know they are Mongolian, but heck, it looks really cool and they might be able to help:
    http://www.viahistoria.com/SilverHor...seArchery.html
    Also check out their links section, they have stuff about mounted archery and mongol archery as well

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    but honestly, you should believe me. i'm 22 and i've been doing archery since i was 13)
    well, this explains a lot.

look, you might have some good information on this subject but you're really not impressing anyone with this attitude.

there are a number of very good people here who have been doing martial arts longer then you've been alive...but none of them ever expect anyone to take what they say at face value. that's just not the way it works around here.

'net fu' may be a joke but there is truth in the fact that on an internet forum you need to be able to explain yourself with words...or video/pics.

if you are really interested in disseminating good information of the subject of Chinese Archery then think of how positive it would be for you to give us some clips of you shooting while you explain the differences.

just a thought...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

lost-tiger,

Thanks. Can't open these at work. Have to download them when I get home. Uggg dialup

YangLiCheng,

So how do you shoot your bow(s)? What equipment do you use? (archery glove? arm guard?) Do you use any modern materials (fiberglass or aluminum arrows perhaps). If not where do you get your replacement equipment from?
    Just curious.

Finally got my bow. They were out of stock forever.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/ListProduct.asp?offset=0

It's a sweet little bow. I think any traditional archer would enjoy it and it would make a good pack bow due to it's size. I have a lot to learn about the asian style of shooting but I did send a few arrows yesterday afternoon and only missed the target 3 out of 12. I'm using carbon/aluminum arrows and I think they are maybe a bit heavy and I was shooting at a really short range of 40'.

I just got the 40# due to my shoulder but I can pull that w/ no issue.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Quote Originally Posted by YangLiCheng
    7. by 20th century, Chinese archery dies.
    Tell that to the Chinese people who spend 10 Kuai a night to rent a bow and a quarrel full of arrows at the butts in the park every summer.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

SimonM: this is an older thread, fyi. YLC pretty much disappeared after it.

So, you do see a lot of chinese shooting bows?

are they just everyday people having some fun or more serious archers?

Yes.

For the most part they are just ordinary people who like shooting bows for fun. A few are quite good shots. Better than me anyway.

Then again I've always been more production end.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

do you know if they are using thumb release method?

Sorry I don't because I don't know what the thumb release method is. But if you tell me than I'll look this summer when I visit the butts and get back to you.
    Simon McNeil

a lot of asian archery employs the thumb or 'mongolian release' to grip the string vs. the western method of using the fingers.

In looking at pictures and reading Selby's book, I had thought..'enh, shouldn't be too hard'...the results have been comical.

Just the thumb? Or a thumb and a finger?
    Simon McNeil

the thumb ring was an invention that advanced the art of archery because it allowed the archer to not fatigue teh fingers with constant pressure and pull of the string.

http://www.viahistoria.com/SilverHor...ThumbRing.html

a little about the mongolian thumb ring and how it gets used.

another advancement was the arm guard which prevent chaffing on the forearm from repeatedly being hit with teh string on release.

also finger covers and other advancements have been made over time to make archery and archery last longer in the field without hand fatigue or injury.

more on that stuff: http://www.kidbow.com/martin_instruc...ructions_2.htm

I myself love archery! I don't practice it nearly as much (in fact not much at all in the last 5 years or so) as I used to.

I like a good recurve or a compound. 40 lb test is pretty good Oso, that can kill and has decent accuracy up to about 50 yards.

A compound bow at 65-80 lb test in the hands of the right archer can kill at 100 yards or more.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I would add that knowledge of ballistics and an idea of how the bow works in various positions with or against the wind, wind speed etc is helpful in honing the skill.

perfect conditions are flat land, no wind and a close target.
    Kung Fu is good for you.