Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combat Conditioning

Combat Conditioning

Has anyone used the exercises from Matt Furrey or others to help with their conditioning?

I'm looking into Matt Furrey's book and adding the exercises to my routine. Does anyone here have any personal experience and can recount some things that worked/didn't work.

I would much appreciate this!

Sincerely,
    Kenton Sefcik
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

haven't looked at Furey's stuff.

But I do have a lot of conditioning methods which I use for developing toughness and maintaining tioughness of the body.

bear in mind that at least 50% of it all is mental attitude.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Don't waste your money on Furey products.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    if you haven't been here there are some good workouts listed

www.trainforstrength.com
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I also understand Furey co-opts stuff from other systems and styles he encounters and may not have the full story on some of the things he advocates.

bit of a hodge podge really. take it for what it's worth if you go that route, but I wouldn't put furey in the guru category of fight conditioning or combat conditioning.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I made the mistake of buying Matt Furey's Combat Conditioning book.
    1. It is way over priced for what it is. A bunch of body weight exercises that can be found on the web for free.
    2. The condition of the book is poor. I was expecting a quality product. Furey's book is anything but. Blurry black and white photos on cheap paper.
    3. The are better workouts out there for actual combat conditioning.

Matt Furey's basic workout is what he calls the royal court. It consists of Hindu Squats, Hindu Pushups and bridges. It does take a lot of determination and strength to get up to the number of reps that he recommends but I believe there are better workouts.

The already mentioned, train for strength website is great. http://www.trainforstrength.com/workouts.shtml

Another great website for great over all strength and conditioning is CROSSFIT. http://www.crossfit.com/

If you really are interested in Matt Furey's stuff, here is a link to an article from a guy who thinks its worth while. http://www.cbass.com/Furey.htm

In my opinion, the CROSSFIT workout is the best out there and it's 100% FREE!

Lets give credit where credit is due. Matt Furey is a great marketing guy and has done a great job at marketing himself and his workouts. No doubt the guy has skill as a wrestler but don't be fooled by his "straight talk". Check out the links above and do some searching around on the web and you'll find some great stuff.

Good luck.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

I personaly have gotten outstandig results from combat conditioning.
    Yes, the book is over priced(at a book store,sitting on the shelf I wuold retail it
    for 21.95)
    I do the royal court almost every morning and got strong as hell,

my back aches stoped and my general flexibility got better.
    Then from getting all his emails,I went and ordered the shoulder pain video,
    (his videos are of poor productin quality and are soooooooooo boring cause he
    talks in ths monotone) I did the eXercises for a couple of weeks and my shoulder
    pain went away.It was getting so bad I could not Cup,Pow or Jong,now I do
    them on a heavy bag.
    Today I am sitting here w/ an injury cause I was doing some
    stuff that MF recomended NOT to do.
    I dont know where he gets his stuff,
    Yes its way over priced
    But so far its been working for me
    First smooth,then fast.
    Smooth is fast.

You've got me curious. Can you elaborate on the shoulder pain stuff some more?
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

The shoulder pain video is a series of exercises that even I would have suggestwd to some one.Basically flapping your arm up and down and back and
    forth (balistic streching) then using the rubber strands to do a few shoulder
    exersises.
    Real commom sense stuff.
    Last edited by yeshe; 07-07-2005 at 04:24 PM.
    First smooth,then fast.
    Smooth is fast.

Do some Hindu Squats, Hindu Pushups, and wrestlers bridges. There, I just saved you the $30 it would cost to buy that book.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist
    Do some Hindu Squats, Hindu Pushups, and wrestlers bridges. There, I just saved you the $30 it would cost to buy that book.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Thumbs up Thanks Much

I really appreciate everyone taking the time too give me their ideas.

I'm going to check out the couple of other resources listed and weigh out the options.

Yeshe, is it true that there are only 3 exercises in the book?

Thanks,
    Kenton Sefcik
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    does anyone know what his Farmer Brown(or whatever his name was) abdominal exercises are? He makes them sound like they are the be all end all. I'm betting, since much of his stuff seems to be from yoga, they might be a form of the vaccuum.

That got my answers to a big ad in a magazine about Furey products, thanks.
    Although what If I don't want to do hindu squats, I been doing regular squats and they worked great. Bridges I have not tried and don't feel like I should, and hindu push ups, most martial artists do under the name of "under the rock"

But he is trying a new way of marketing, even cartoons, so got to give him credit for that lol

when You say vacuum,
    do you mean when the breath out and suck the stomach in?