Thread: Your Wing Chun Complete?

Your Wing Chun Complete?

Wing Chun is stand up fighting, like thai-boxing. If you take down a wing chun fighter, wing chun will lose much of its effectiveness. Most modern schools therefore train some ground-techniques. I've been fighting full contact fights for about 7 years now using my wing chun and its a fact that a ground fighter will kick a wing chun fighters ass on the ground. But first he will have to take him down though. Although Wing Chun is an effective style its not complete or perfect, neither is Jiu-jitsu, karate or any other style. It's up to the fighter to be as complete as possible using styles which fit him the best. I for example am not a very flexible build (small) guy, so I emphasis on Wing Chun, boxing and grappling. A good friend of mine is tall and lean, so his priorities are at training kickboxing, Wing Chun and Tae-kwondo making the best use of his hight and flexibility. So wing Chun on the ground loses to grappling. P.S according to police research about 80% of all street-fights are fought out on the ground, so learning how to handle yourself there will make you a more complete fighter. "Absorb what is usefull" (Bruce Lee)

Wanna try something different? Try doing the forms on your back. Yee Jee Kim Yeung Ma becomes the guard, but the rest stays the same, whether it's SLT, CK, or BJ.

Tired of the above? Try doing them from a push-up position - military or knee, doesn't matter.

Done with that? Start doing Chi Sao from there; one person does the goat grabbing, the other plays the goat. Oh, and one thing I've found is that in the 3rd section of Yip Man's slt, the Gaan Sau to Tan Sau transition holds some excellent body mechanics to help you escape Yee Jee Kim Yeung Ma by lifting one of your opponent's legs over your head.

Before we say that something cannot be used for something else, we must try to apply it first. Before we can absorb what is useful and discard what is not, we must try it all.

Peace
    CSP
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Xiao3 Meng4

Before we say that something cannot be used for something else, we must try to apply it first. Before we can absorb what is useful and discard what is not, we must try it all.
    Amen brother, I couldn't agree with you anymore!!!!!
    John Widener

'Understand your limits, but never limit your understanding'.

" I may disapprove of what you say,
    but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

Xindu

P.S according to police research about 80% of all street-fights are fought out on the ground, so learning how to handle yourself there will make you a more complete fighter.
    Actually, the way I read it on the internet was, that 80% of all police confrontations go to the ground. Isn't this obvious......cops don't brawl.
    John Widener

'Understand your limits, but never limit your understanding'.

" I may disapprove of what you say,
    but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

I dont think it is a bad idea to learn how to sprawl, how to swim/pummel your arms for underhooks and how to escape from the bottom (bridging/shrimping).

In fact learning individual techniques for use in bad/disadvantages situations is very much the thinking behind certain actions in the dummy form and BG so its not a conceptual stretch IMO to add these things.

You can easily incorporate these things into your training and drill them along with your reg wing chun. Who knows? They might be of more value than the pole and knives in this day and age.....
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Forrer
    Who knows? They might be of more value than the pole and knives in this day and age.....
    Blasphemy!! -You obviously aren't initiated into the true secrets of the Wing Chun weapons.......
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich