Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nick Scrima Tournament Videos

As for the mantis video.

the kid was quick and it was bung bo but I just get flustered when I see stuff where you know it's for show and the performer doesn't have a clue what he's doing tactic wise in the set. Just my opinion but traditionally I'd say the set has to make combative sense. The majority of that was flash and no meat to me.
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tofthejunk.jpg

My point is no one knows if the form is altered from they way it was taught. Who knows it may have been taught in that family that way for the last 70 years.

If they did add to the kids mantis form it wasnt the flashy stuff like butterfly kicks, and splits. I dont think it hurt the form. I dont have a problem with the extra foot work, and it would probably be a good idea to notice what is going on around you once in a while if you are in a fight. And yes there may be a pause in a fight from time to time.

I would have looked at the kids stances, focus, speed, timing, power and intent. Seems to me he was very clean and crisp and probably would have done the traditional bung bo better than most (if that wasnt traditional for him). If he had a butterfly kick in there I would just ignore it. That kind of stuff never brings up a score for me.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Anyone got any thoughts on the two 2-handed sword sets?

Isn't that a bagua weapon?

Bung Bu, certainly take this with a grain of salt since I've been doing bung bu for barely a year and a half, but...where was the crushing/crashing?????? Changes could be made to the specific movements but when the flavor is gone.......
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

In trad. forms competition it's up to the judges to be diciplined enough to ignore flash and see the basic princibles underneath. If they want to waste energy on unnecesary flash, then they should be allowed too (only hurts themselves). The exception is if they're doing a form where there's clearly another division for what they're doing (like if they do Yu Hai's modern mantis form when there's clearly a modern wushu division). This is all asuming the judges know what they're doing. If they don't then the final standing are pretty pointless anyway of course I think you can't just restrict people to old trad. forms though, because no one can memorize every variation of every branch. But you can look to see if the way the form is put together makes since, and if they're following traditional kungfu basics.

:)

Point taken.. Like I said I'm no tourney guy.. never had much use for showing my forms so I don't know how they judge these events.. That is why I said it would depend on the criteria of the comp itself as to what is being judged in the form.

I myself would prefer to judge individually then again as a whole after seeing everyone.. Because one could get a low score for being first but after seeing everyone else go that first guy that had the low score could have been the best one there and deserve 1st place.

If I were to judge on taste alone he would have scored low with me.. although the kid was quick and athletic. As oso said the essence of the form wasn't there. The speed didn't = power in his case... just speed. In bung bo momentum is where a lot of the power is coming from as well as body torque. Although he was crisp and looked okay, his little hops were annoying and took away from the form, the jump kicks I've never seen in bung bo from any one's line so that to me would have been added for show and I found it annoying. The double arm grabs having an upward motion shows me that the kid didn't really know how the tactic is applied, as well as some other things in the form performed a certain way but I can't remember specifically off hand what they were... So to me they were just for show and not really there for applied purposes which is what "traditional" forms are to me. Once again just my personal taste and I'm not a tourney guy so go easy on me.
    Last edited by shirkers1; 07-11-2005 at 10:41 AM.
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

Quote Originally Posted by jwvmn
    Ok, I've put more videos up ....

A tiger fork, a monkey spear, and a bunch of stuff I don't know what the heck it is ... so help me out and identify it ok?

http://www.veeneman.us

Unknown #2 -- Hung Ga mixed set... saw pieces of Tid Sin Kuen, Fu Hok, etc... I think I've seen somebody kinda famous do that grouping on a demo video once...

Unknown #3 -- dunno... Some long fist something or another...

Unknown #4 -- Eagle Claw... Small Cotton Palm maybe??

Unknown #5 -- mish mash looking thing of Northern/Southern/Wushu/Animals all blended together
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Anyone got any thoughts on the two 2-handed sword sets?

Isn't that a bagua weapon?
    A classmate of mine visited some liu he mantis people in Qingdao a few years ago (Tony Yang hooked him up) and came back with a mantis two handed sword form.

oso

The crashing may be missing A bit, I think he did great for a KID.

SHIRKERS

You have never seen a jump kick in bung bo? What version of bung bu do you practice?

The second two handed sword form is a modern form created by Yu Cheng Hui (evil general from the original Shaolin Temple movie) and is the "official" two handed sword form for modern wushu competition. I know a lot of Wah Lum guys do this because aparently Yu Cheng Hui and Chan Pui are friends. It looks like the guy doing the form changed a few things slightly (adding some hopping and dramatizing it a bit more). Even though it's "modern wushu" the form is very down to earth (no acrobatics, only brief pauses, etc.) The footwork is supposed to be swift and agile, but grounded. I really like the form but really can't stand watching people do it. After studying YCH on video everyone else looks kind of bad by comparison

:)

hong kong 7* sorry yes the one jump kick with the eye poke but not like his.. with the crane style after wards... The way he does it is like our kicks in chop choi.

http://shirkers.freewebpage.org

This is how we do it. Although done slow and each movement broken on purpose to see the individual tactics but you get the idea.

5th video is some sort of combination of generic chang quan, nan quan, ditang quan, eagle claw (modern it looks like... I don't know what traditional is like, though), and probably a couple other random things thrown in there. It's really really wierd

Shirkers I can never get your clips to play for me. I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks for the try though.

:(

Sorry man... if you right click save target as to your desktop, it should play in your media player... Whether you have quicktime, windows or real player as your default player...

If you try to just watch the vids by left clicking on them it takes forever. So it's best to just save them and watch them that way...

Lightbulb clips

Didn’t work for me either even after saving to my desk top, will try again later. I have seen some of your clips before and didn’t have any problems. So I’m sure it will work. There was a lot of stuff that didn't seem to make sense to me, lot of jumping around and not leading from one move to the next. No flow if you will, lack of power on the end of the attack, seemed weird to me too… but I’m am no one to talk the fork speaks volumes. Thanks Vman! For all it’s worth this is only a hand full of the hundreds of people competing, there was a lot of solid stuff going on as well. I think in all the tournament was pretty cool…
    RibHit
    “Being fast is fine but accuracy is everything.”
    Wyatt Erupt
    Feeling jumpy!!!
    Thread Killer...>>>
    Tommy M

Unknown Form 2 is actually Hung Gar's Ng Ying Kuen (5 animals form) with sections ommitted to shorten it for competition. Particularly from the opening "dragon" section.

Previous posters were pretty close as 5 animals is very similar to Tiger and Crane form and the dragon section is fairly similar to Tid Sin Kuen.

No.4 is eagle claw as sean said - I have seen this form from lili/gini lau school before but can't remember the name.

Suspect no.5 is some sort of eagle claw as well

Good vids.

Thanks!
    Last edited by phoenix-eye; 07-11-2005 at 01:04 PM.
    "We had a thing to settle so I did him"
    Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.