Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Street Smarts

Hi ROT,

Each circumstance is unique but all will follow some sort of pattern. It is important to learn to recognize the patterns. This allows us to manipulate or guide the situation.

You are asking great questions unfortunately I don't have the time to answer them now, but i will try to make the time to respond in depth later today or tomorrow.

The path to feeling secure about ourselves takes time and a lot of explanation. i am not certain how indepth you are prepared to go, and perhaps either personal emails or another thread addressing that specifically would be more appropriate.

Scott

Great posts. Its nice to see someone argue his point without being a dikhead. Good thread. What style do you train?

Hi Mortal1,

I have been training for over 30 years! My first system and the one I trained in until I received a blackbelt is an American eclectic style based upon: Shaolin, Kajukenbo, Judo and Boxing. I received my blackbelt 26 yrs. ago after a 7 ½ hr. physical test (wherein I lost 15 lbs), a 50 page written essay test and an oral exam. I was immediately awarded a 3rd degree belt. I have not promoted since then as I have disassociated myself from the system for philosophical reasons. I do not as a habit mention the style by name as I am not willing to give them free publicity. The style’s quality has deteriorated, the founder’s martial arts training history is dubious, and the style has acquired cult like characteristics. The leaders have appointed themselves masters and grandmasters like many McDojo operators have done. Since I was a participant and core member from the beginning I have serious issues with these developments and refrain from participating or supporting their self-aggrandizing behavior.

In the past 26 yrs. I have supplemented my knowledge and experience by training in Tai Chi, White Crane, Aikido (including Jo-Jutsu and Ken-Jutus), Aiki-jutsu, & Ju-jutsu. I have studied Tao, Zen and yoga for over 30 years as well.

I no longer train in a fixed system, but I hesitate to say it have created my own. I tend to follow my nature in that I train in what interests me and avoid what doesn’t interest me. I do not teach other than my boys and I continue to learn from other systems as my time and inclination allows. My main intention for the last 10-15 years has been to understand the core principles of psychology, self-defense movement, strategy and tactics. My belief is that, if we understand the roots or core principles of body function and self-defensive movement we understand all things that spring from them. The result is I have choked out grapplers without ever receiving formal grappling training. I am not intending to flaunt my skill as choking out one or two practitioners means nothing in the big picture. My point is I tested my theory of understanding core principles and I have found them to be easily adaptable to practical circumstances. That is to say it is now easy for me to adapt what I know to changing circumstances as they present themselves.

I also study the functions of the mind, human psychology and the psychology of groups. This is where my current comments on the psychology of posturing and calm indifference originate from. I gained a great deal of psychological insight while I worked for 12 years in the California Dept. of Corrections. Think of working on a yard of approximately 1,200 – 2,000 inmates of all races, body sizes, from weaklings to monsters, intelligence levels, cultural backgrounds, aggressiveness levels, and criminal history. Now consider the dilemma of getting them to do what you want or need them to do without inflaming their male ego. You must find a way to motivate them to do what you need them to do while minimizing their desire “to stick it to the man”. You must learn to sublimate your own ego under these circumstances and be creative and fast thinking. Sometimes you must calm anger before it spreads, divert attention, or fix a problem created by other inmates or staff to prevent chaos from erupting. The posturing of children at the park, at school or at the beach is nothing compared to the real posturing of killers, rapists and drug dealers, LOL!!!!

These are the schools of life where I have gained the most insight and knowledge. I don’t claim to know everything, but I am always trying to further my knowledge and experience.

I bet you didn’t expect such a long answer, LOL!!! But that is my nature. Each question that arises gives me an opportunity to learn by investigating my experiences from new and challenging angles. Reading the thoughts and experiences of individuals like yourself, Ray Pina and yes, even ROT and others are fascinating to me. It allows me to learn and gain more insight! Thank you for sharing your unique ideas and perspectives!

Here is a quote from the movie Kalifornia with brad Pitt:

"Erly lived in the moment. He did whatever he wanted whenever he wanted. I don't know if I was fascinated or frightened by it. Probably both"

Anyone know someone like this?

Hi ROT,

It is impossible to give one fixed solution to a problem. It is like in a MA class when a student asks, “If someone does this……! What should I do?” Each circumstance has unique characteristics that must be adapted too! It is better to understand general principles and then learn to apply them to specific circumstances through experience!

Sometimes posturing is appropriate, sometimes calm indifference is appropriate and sometimes fighting is appropriate. It depends upon the circumstances and what you are attempting to accomplish.

In the circumstances you have mentioned, what one does depends upon all kinds of variables. For me, the guy who likes to take out people in the bar with sucker punches….I would just avoid that bar! But if it was impossible then there are all kinds of ways to take care of someone like that. I would consider a number of things based upon my assessment of his size, ability, endurance, etc… So the first thing to do, if one has time, is to assess the enemy’s capabilities. Next is to assess your own. Decide what you can do and what you can’t do. Determine if you need help and then decide who you want to enlist. Do you want to take him on in the bar? In the parking lot? Alone? With help? With fists? With a baseball bat? Think about the consequences of whatever act you decide upon! Personally I think I would take him out with a sucker punch just like he does everyone else. And then every time I see him, do it again!! But then maybe he comes back with friend or a gun! So these are things to consider! That is why finding another bar is the best thing to do! Also calling the police on the guy will work too! It is the most effective and safest under most circumstances because it protects everyone!

If someone is eyeballing you, the same thing applies. What do you want to accomplish? If you want to show off then you can eyeball him back. If you are comfortable with yourself and don’t need to prove yourself, ignore him! No one can disrespect you no matter what they do or say if you have confidence in yourself! It is what you have inside that matters and no one can take it away from you, but you can relinquish it to others! It matters little if someone is posturing, eyeballing or mouthing off! It is only offensive if you think it is offensive! It is only disrespectful if you think it is disrespectful! If you get upset than you have relinquished responsibility for your own frame of mind. You have been manipulated by another and you allowed it to happen!!

Eyeballing and mouthing off is nothing more that another method of posturing. It is an attempt to exert dominance. If someone is attempting to dominate you that means they perceive you as a threat to them and thus you are already seen as a superior in their eyes and that intimidates them. That is why they feel the need to bring you down with posturing, eyeballing or mouthing off. If you react you are playing into their game. If you possess calm indifference they see they cannot ruffle you and it can frustrate them. But you will not be giving them what they want. You cannot be defeated if you do not contend! It is like grasping water. What they seek, just slips through their fingers!

Here is a story!

I worked with a man in the prison system. The prison system is full of macho, immature guys, both staff and inmates. This staff member kept mouthing off to me, subtly insulting me in front of other staff. I would just smile and ignore his comments and for weeks or months I never responded. People with a modicum of maturity will eventually give up when they see you won't take their bait, but this guy was not that mature.

One day he made a comment to me in front of 3 or 4 other staff members. His intention was to embarrass me and as I have said, to establish dominance. It had been impossible for him to do because I would not contend with him. So he thought he could get me with a very good insult. But I had a comeback because I prepared ahead for the eventuality! So, he made his comment and I said my comeback and he was put in his place in front of everybody!! He was completely embarrassed!! I have to hand it too him!! He took it well and like a man!! He laughed and said to me, “WOW!!! That was a good one!!” I smiled and I replied, “Just because I DON”T play, doesn’t mean I CAN”T play!!” And of course he was fine ever since.

Sometimes bullies won't leave you alone until you put them in their place. But I usually like to give them a chance by not playing their game!! If they persist then they get what they asked for!!!

In the basketball game I would just leave, I have nothing to prove and if they don’t like it or mock me I would remember never to play ball with those guys again!! You can only be embarrassed it you care what jerks think! Be your own person and don’t allow the opinions of jerks to affect you! Pers Anthony said, “The opinions of worthless people are worthless!!!” I add to that, “I would rather have no friends than the wrong friends!!” Life is rough enough without surrounding yourself with friends that make it rougher! If you depend upon others to validate your own sense of self-worth than you are controlled by them and cannot be you own person! You are a slave to their opinions and can be manipulated easily to do things that are not in your best interest just to gain the praises of those who don’t really care about you to begin with!

Great posts Scott. You must be something to know in person.

Keep em coming!

I have been in numerous fights before I never threw the first punch. But there is nothing illegal about blocking it. My first fight Id say 7 years after starting martial arts. (back round: i lived in a good neighbor hood but I went to a Sh*t hole school). Some tough guy walks up to me on the 3rd day of school pushes me and says "that my b*tch a$$ is to white and to get the F*ck out of his school". I started to walk away he went behind me got me in a choke hold I fliped him and told him to stay the hell away from me or next time it would be worse. Now he left me alone always avoided me, but I shouldnt have threatened him because if he was smart he could of gone to the princible or the cops luckily he didnt. So guys if its self deffense its legal just make sure you dont kill the guy, dont threaten him, try to talk him out of it but make sure you arent the one who starts it (try to get a witness). If you feel like fighting im sure your sensei's and sifu's will put together sparring matches at least once a week mine does. anyways good luck with your decisions guys. I feel the urge all the time to fight punks at my school who think they're tough. Dont ever say your a black belt in this or you have studdied under this master for your lifes durration. It always starts the other guy on a power trip.

ReignOfTerror Here is a quote from the movie Kalifornia with brad Pitt:

"Erly lived in the moment. He did whatever he wanted whenever he wanted. I don't know if I was fascinated or frightened by it. Probably both"

Anyone know someone like this?

Every person I have fought. I was never intimidated I could always tell what they were like and what they were going to do. Usualy people who talk **** have a black belt in KARATE not our martial arts that take time and training discipline. The little karate school when mommys little boy gets beat up by the bully. These kids think there tough and go flaunting there useless black belt. if a person comes up to you says F*ck you and pushes you bragin about how they could kick your ass keep your cool and ask them to leave you alone. They wont instead they will come at you with a strong punch when you are distracted. If you guys know Martial arts block it and I find getting him in a arm lock or any kind of hold and telling him to leave you alone one more time, it will work. If it dosent and he procedes on use self deffense but dont kill him . Good luck with your decision CHECK OUT MY OTHER POSTS I NEED A CMA SCHOOL IN CALIFORNIA !!!!!

I think the best thing is for everyone on this thread to take a long look at this page on Marc Macyoung's site. I recommend his books - particularly Taking It to the Street which addresses some issues raised here. I believe Marc Macyoung is still the most important voice in SD.

I absolutely disagree with the idea that you should posture aggressively toward tough guys. I think that just invites problems. I agree that avoiding fights is ALWAYS the best solution. I personally avoid the type of places where violence is likely to happen - I also have always lived in nice areas so I have it easy. I have used Marc Macyoung's 'five stages of violent crime' model to avoid being mugged. Bottom line - I may not live where you live but I think anyone would benefit from listening to Marc Macyoung on these topics.
    Last edited by northernArts; 08-01-2005 at 01:11 PM.

Nice links nothernArts. I'm a big fan of Marc MacYoung too. Taking it to the Streets is a truly amazing book, that I cannot recommend highly enough. I'm posting Marc's website link in our articles archive, so we'll always be able to find it. There're alot of gems there.
    Bodhi Richards

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack
    Nice links nothernArts. I'm a big fan of Marc MacYoung too. Taking it to the Streets is a truly amazing book, that I cannot recommend highly enough. I'm posting Marc's website link in our articles archive, so we'll always be able to find it. There're alot of gems there.
    It's always good to meet another person who appreciates his work.
    Marc Macyoung has two new books coming out Oct 1 on Lyons Press(He's not on Paladin Press anymore). The first title is intended to be the offensive sequel to Taking It to the Street as that book focused more on effective defense.