Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horizontal fist in WC

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    I also use the horizontal fist downward. Sometimes the elbow position in that drive down is actaully better protection than with the vertical.
    When your elbow is acting as a downward wedge on top of someone's forearm at the same time as you are hitting them in the belly (or bladder), it is a very cool (and safe!) feeling.

-Lawrence
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

Yeah, sure. That would be an optimal position.

But when all things are equal, especially when fighting someone who doesn't come from a non-sparring Chinese style and will automatically be pulling their arm back as soon as they've punched, it's very very difficult to achieve.

That's when you need to follow their arm back as they retract, to exploit the opening they will probably leave to their body... and on the inside in this situation a somewhat round-elbowed downward-palmed horizontal punch will defend your centreline and open theirs much better when punching downward, IME.