Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fantastic Four

I agree that Marvel characters are archetypes. With certain characters, his or her race matters less than what the actor can bring to the role. However, with other characters, I believe an actor's appearance does matter. For example, characters like Johnny Storm or Nick Fury could be either white or black. I think that if they ever make an Iron Fist movie, Daniel Rand could very well be black instead of white, maybe played by Michael Jai White. I think of Russell Wong as Sub-Mariner because he has the acting chops to portray a regal prince; he has the maturity, physical stature and athleticism; plus, he also looks like a Prince Namor. So in Wong's case, I (as someone who is NOT a casting director) feel that he has the whole package to portray a distinct (and distinctive-looking) character, if he were willing to take on the role.

Sorry for taking the thread so far OT.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-09-2015 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I agree that Marvel characters are archetypes. With certain characters, his or her race matters less than what the actor can bring to the role. However, with other characters, I believe an actor's appearance does matter. For example, characters like Johnny Storm or Nick Fury could be either white or black. I think that if they ever make an Iron Fist movie, Daniel Rand could very well be black instead of white, maybe played by Michael Jai White. I think of Russell Wong as Sub-Mariner because he has the acting chops to portray a regal prince; he has the maturity, physical stature and athleticism; plus, he also looks like a Prince Namor. So in Wong's case, I (as someone who is NOT a casting director) feel that he has the whole package to portray a distinct (and distinctive-looking) character, if he were willing to take on the role.

Sorry for taking the thread so far OT.
    If Iron Fist were black, that would completely undermine his relationships with both Luke Cage and Misty Knight. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenshiite View Post
    If Iron Fist were black, that would completely undermine his relationships with both Luke Cage and Misty Knight. Just sayin'.
    I'm sure you're right...it's been a long time, and I almost forgot about the Luke Cage/Iron Fist partnership. I mostly read their comics before they were brought together.

As far as the new FF movie, I'll give it a pass. It's tanking, and even the director, Josh Trank, is distancing himself from his own movie. Apparently, he was also acting erratically on set. I guess you could say his film is "Tranking". As I understand it, due to Fox having the rights to it, it's also not linked to the same Marvel Universe that the other Marvel movies, like The Avengers, inhabit. Too bad, I'd have one day liked to have seen an onscreen Thing vs. Hulk battle like in the old days of comics.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-10-2015 at 12:07 PM.

As good as Catwoman?

The Tranked FF has the same rotten tomatoes score as Halle Berry's Catwoman movie. Maybe they will turn to MARVEL for help with the sequel in the same way Sony cut a deal with Spider-Man.

While I agree with the spirit of gender/race bending super characters, I think it would be a mistake to attempt to cast Brad Pitt as the ancestral King of the African nation Wakanda. Tilda Swinson has been cast as The Ancient One in the forthcoming Dr. Strange movie, at least they are subverting a pretty generic Oriental stereotype in that case. That said, Hollywood still has a problem with white-washing roles… Ras Al-Gul played by an Irish Actor? Marvel in particular is in desperate need of some more female and especially non-white leads beyond Nick Fury. Anyone think The Falcon will take over as Captain America after Civil War? An Asian Namor would be great - see the casting of Aquaman. Hell, Danny Rand/Iron Fist could easily be of Asian decent as well (Chinese Millionaire seeking the mystical City etc.).

The casting of Michael B. Jordan as Jonny Storm was one of this movie's best choices (maybe it's only good choice).