Thread: Leg training methods in Hung Gar questions

Leg training methods in Hung Gar questions

Two methods of training your legs in Hung Gar are kicking with weights attached to your legs and kicking a stake in the ground. I have read that kicking with weights can cause joint problems years later. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? About kicking the stake, is it padded? Is it planted firm in the floor/ground or does it move somewhat when you kick it? Thanks in advance.

kicking with ankle weights is a bad thing - you are asking for injuries when you do that. the better option would be to do things like leg raises, both frontal and laterally. if you insist on kicking, then do it VERY SLOWLY.

I dunno about kicking the stake, but it sounds no different than heavy bag training, which may be more convenient.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Phantom, just curious, where do you hear that these are Hung Gar methods for training kicks?

I'm with 7star, weights on your legs for kicking sounds bad. I've specifically recommended students NOT do this. Better to use a weighted vest. Hung Gar does use iron rings for forearm training. The advantage of rings is that they "fly" as you move and cause resistance as you launch and stop your movement. If you really want to use weights on your legs, I would do your movements very slowly.

As for kicking a post. This is a common CMA training method. It is very could way to build stability and rooted power. It's used mainly for thrust and stomp kicks. Not snap or roundhouse. The common thing is to use a tree. That should give you an idea of how stable. The heavy bag is different because it gives too much when kicking. It should be noted that the goal is not to kick the heck out of the tree but power your kicks through the ground. If done correctly you can get a hard kick in and not feel any of the force back.

Specific to HG, kicking is in coordination with stance. Much of the leg strength is from the stance/stepping training and the application is highly tied to movement of both the hands and the stepping (thus the no shadow kick - mo ying gerk)

That's been my experience.

the weights are a kind of remedial training for folks with low leg strength/poor muscle development or injury recovery.

if you're trying to increase your devestation with a kick focus more on the speed of your action and follow through. weight use can be beneficial but it is easy to tear and dislocate if too much weight is used.

if you have to use weights get a strap on weight. they're usually five pounds and can be decreased by removing one or more of the 1lb bags from the carrier. when using these seemingly light weights you will understand why kicking full power with them can easily hurt you over time. too much weight suddenly will hurt you immediately. a pilotese-taichi aproach is best when using weights on the legs.

if you are still interested in the weighted leg approach lash your weights on and just go for a five mile stroll. don't jog. don't run. don't do martial techniques. just keep your pace up at 3 mph.

the weighted vest is good for a number of leg development applications but does little for the iron-ring principle for the legs. in china some have tied cinderblocks or even stones to thier legs to do this in the jumping training.
    Last edited by YuanZhideDiZhen; 07-12-2005 at 03:36 PM.

I always encounter other students that are looking for ways to get an advantage or a "leg up" on their peers. I've heard all sorts of techniques. Everything from taking lessons with gymnastics experts to learn splits, buying books on kicks and flexibility, weights, and resistance training.

You can take lessons from these gymnasts, but learning how to do a split won't help your kicks. If you want to do a split, chop off your balls. You can put weights on your legs to develop power, but you'll only end up with arthritus in 5 years. You can buy an over-priced book, but it might teach you nothing. Moreover, you can try resistance training, but the affect is only temporary.

The secret to developing a side kick is to kick. Practicing your kicks develops muscles in your thighs and as soon as you develop those muscles you will be able to kick all day. You just can't decide "I'm more dedicated than this person is who has been here longer than I have, and I will use every trick I can find to get better than they are." It just takes a lot of practice and hard work. And to be honest, it takes a good year to develop a side kick.
    Till then, remember to turn that hip out an hit with the edge. Getting it right is more important than a high, hard kick.
    Punching is loving.

Thanks again, guys. Haysayfu, these methods were mentioned in an article in the latest issue of kung fu magazine, the very same one that runs this site. The article was about the kicking methods in Yee's Hung ga.

I see. You should email someone at the Yee's and see what they say. I'd be interested if you find out more.