Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese Martial Arts Business

Another question - mainly for kids classes. Its seems around me, most kids and parents would know "karate", "kata", "sensei" and "dojo" as martial arts terms; not kung fu, sifu, or kwoon for example.

What is the experience of those running schools now with successful kids programs. Do you use English (martial art, forms, teacher, school)? Do you use the Chinese terms? Does this cause confusion or hesitance (with parents especially) or is it a source of interest or pride that their kids are doing something different than the neighbors? How would you overcome the possible fear of the unknown?
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Either Peace or War

Thumbs up Fear of the Unknown

It is true, that since Japanese arts and Korean arts are more widely taught in America (than Chinese MA) terms like Dojo, Gi, Sensei are pretty much household words. It is just a matter of re-education for your students and families. When you meet, you introduce yourself (or you are introduced by a staff member who explains a little about you and what you are called).

The "art" of removing fear of the unknown is called "pre-framing" (Virtually letting someone know what's going to happen before it happens. For example:

"Mrs. Smith and Johnny, let me tell you what we are going to do today. First, I'm going to show you around the academy, then we'll meet the head instructor, next will sit down and find out what exactly you want your son to learn fromt the martial arts, then of course take his first black belt lesson. After the lesson, I'll show you how to use your Free VIP membership to save $100 off the tuition when you get Johnny started today, and get his uniform for FREE, okay?"

This is an example of our 'pre-frame' and it's what we tell prospective students when they come in for their tour/into lesson.

When you 'pre-frame' students (and it doesn't matter what you pre-frame them about; it could be what they'll learn in class, what they have to look forward to as a student here, what it will be like when they start black belt level training, etc.) you are relieving anxiety and helping then to stay in a positive frame of mind.

Hope this helps everyone!

initial phone conversations

Sifu Parrella,

I like the way you approach business and interacting with customers.

How do you handle initial phone conversations? People a lot of time when they call want to know a little bit about the art, the cost and when classes are available. Should the subject of cost be avoided during this initial conversation? Some base their decision on whether or not to train with you based on this factor and usually without coming to visit to see what it is you have to offer. They hear the price and then you can hear their tone change and it seems like the conversation has basically ended. How do you get them from this cost question to in the school for a visit?
    How do you get past the "what is the cost for all of this?" type of question during the initial phone conversation.

I think it is best if people come in and can watch a class and talk with the instructor (sifu) and get a general feeling of the school.
    Is it best to tell them that "our school offers many programs and it would be best if you can stop in and visit so we can discuss which program is right for you" type of reply. Then ask them when they would be available and immediately invite them to the school at that day/time. I believe this would motivate the prospective client to visit otherwise he/she would feel that they are letting you down by not attending their scheduled appointment.

Also would you call them if they didn't show up for their scheduled appointment at a later date/time?

Finally, if a student is really interested in learning (joining the school) but can't afford the annual contract, how do you handle that?
    Do you ask them what you can afford and go from there? Or do you offer them an agreement of sometype to help maintain the school (cleaning, general chores, etc.) and reduce the contract rate?

Kind Regards,

Angelo F.

Angelo,

Let me address a couple of your questions.

As far as, if a student cannot afford the cost of lessons? There are a few factors here; If most people cannot afford your lessons - you are too expensive or your area is too poor. ( I would think the latter happens more than the first) If you find a student who cannot afford lessons, move on....find another who can. Don't waste your time with people who cannot afford your tuition.

Appointment confirmations;
    Make them the day before the appointment, and then the day of. When you call the first time, let them know you are calling to let them know you saved a spot for them in class and you wanted to let them know that they can bring a friend with them to class. "Who would you like to bring" is what needs to be said. If they don't have anyone in mind, that's okay. We will ask for the referral every step of the way.

The second call, confirms that they have directions to the school and that if they enjoy the class as much as we think they will, they can get started today and get a free uniform. "So go ahead and bring a method of payment with you today Mrs. Smith, so if you enjoy Johnny's first Black Belt lesson today, we can get him a free uniform as well.

Making two confirmation calls will dramatically increase your 'show up' ratio. We all know that showing up for an intro/tour is half the battle.

More tomorrow, keep the questions coming.

Dear Sifu Parrella or to whom it may concern,

Do you teach private lessons at your school or are you available for them?
    The reason I ask is I know people who teach private lessons in which for an agreed upon fee the student can work one-on-one with the teach for a period of time (usually in one hour time blocks). I think this is beneficial for the student and he/she can learn a lot and get information that the teacher may not give out in a regular class. This enables the student to get more in-depth, detailed knowledge of the particular subject they are inquiring on. How much would you charge for an hour private lesson if you do indeed teach them?

Secondly, have you ever had someone come into your school and want to challenge or fight you. How do you handle those types of situations? I have heard people say that "we are running a business" and are not into fighting random people off of the street or accepting such matches. Even going as far as telling the person that if they sign-up for classes they can accommodate such a request. I don't know how I would handle such a situation since I really haven't been exposed to one yet. Plus if you do accept the challenge and beat the person, who is to say he doesn't come back with a gun, try and destroy property or ruin your business (even sue). I think the word I have heard is "touch hands" instead of fighting.
    This has happened to a few people I know that run schools. People come in and want to fight the instructor while he is running a class. The teacher usually tries to avoid such a situation because it is bad for business. (shows effectiveness of the art but blood coming out of someone's body doesn't appeal to anyone except for the true fighters in the class not the average joe who wants to learn how to defend himself, lose weight or build confidence). So the teacher may say that he will "touch hands" with the person after class and hopefully by doing so will show the aggessor that he knows what he is doing and the confrontation will cease. Maybe get a new student but not sure if a I would personally want to teach someone like that at this point.
    Can you please give me your comments on this subject?

Thirdly, at what age do you start accepting students? I have noticed that children get easily distracted (especially if they have a window to view the outside world) or after some time start developing friends in classes and like to talk about subject or play wrestle (insert favorite WWE character here) and at times don't pay attention.
    Do you find it best if the parent stays with the child for their lesson? Also as far as getting them to practice consistently it is best if they come to the school but do you encourage practicing at home too? If so, do you give any homework assignments to them so they stay on track and keep them motivated?

Finally, have you ever taught anyone with a physical or mental handicap? Blindness, wheelchair bound, one arm/leg, etc?
    Any advice on how to teach people who may not be able to utilize all of their senses/limbs as other students would. Do you still try and sign these types of students up for 1, 2 or 3 year contracts?
    I know the art should fit the person and not have the person fit the art but I think this would be a challenging task and any advice would be appreciated.

Most Sincerely,

Angelo F.

Angelo,
    A way to handle challenges is to agree, with addendums. This challenger "obviously" must be representing his school/teacher, therefore, when he loses that school must close and move on. (Let him know you will contact his sifu regarding this). The match will be held on neutral ground at a pre-arranged date. Liability waivers will be drawn up so that either party is protected in the event of a "fair" death or disability, and an "anti-retribution" clause will be included in the waiver, punishable by law (ie, the loser - nor his brothers - can't exact any sort of vengance for whatever may happen during the battle.). Explain that once these addendums are met, and contracts and waivers are signed, then you would accept the challenge. These were verbal sorts of agreements back between schools in China in the last century (I know, my sifu partook in such matches), but in this day and age, verbal agreements don't amount to squat. If the challenger doesn't agree to contracts, then explain to him he doesn't want the fight. Understand, if this is an ire based "attack", the weeks it would take to draw up the legalities will cool the ire. If it's a legitimate rivalry, explain there are easier ways to settle it, but the attacker should realize what size of chunk he's trying to bite off. Understand, I never feel the need to fight, but you are now leaving the choice with the agressor. Make sure you can back up your talk though.

As for kids. If they are losing interest badly, then you should re-examine your program. I even leave my kids to work in similar groups without direct supervision (I'm in the room, but maybe working with a different group) for small periods of time, and the kids (as young as 6) understand the discipline I'm looking for, and respect me enough to keep working. Does this mean there is no talking, et al? No, but it is definitely kept to a minimum, and it's a rule I rarely have to enforce, as the kids know what is expected. I keep it fun/challenging enough that they don't want to get distracted.

Handicaps - I've taught blind, people, and a gentleman with no arms. (as well as parkinson's sufferers, etc.) The program works for everyone. The gentleman with no arms, I had to modify some of the taolu, but it still works. Even sparring, you have to wait until they accept what they are capable of (both good and bad), and once they understand how their bodies work, let them try. (Obviously with people with great control - ie. instructors, etc.)

Peace, Steve
    Do - Or do not - There is no try.
    *Yoda*

Mike,
    Which of the mentoring groups (MATA, etc) do you like and why?

It's right to fight the teacher to test his kung fu. anyone who want to do kung fu loves to fight. if you get beaten you can beg to be his student. that was the old way and the only way.

Vasquez
    I think you miss the point. It's not right to fight. Ask your sifu. However, if need be, you must make sure you're the best fighter you can be. If you think fighting is the answer, then my guess is that you've missed a great deal of what your sifu has to offer.

Steve
    Do - Or do not - There is no try.
    *Yoda*

When you first learn kung fu you'll be itching to fight so you fight and fight. Too bad if sifu catches you because you will be punished. In time you will learn not to giht then you'll be taught the secrets of the style.

You're just lucky he's got this buddhism peace and detechment thing going.
    Now leave the room so grown folks can talk Vazzy

I'm the buddhist with deterchment and peace and karma going..... also kindof the guy who sticks around. That's me.

Sorry, deterchment. Makes you whiter and brighter, right?

First let me say this is an excellent thread - I've enjoyed it. It's great to see people like Lama Pai Sifu succeed - he's doing a lot for CMA and I agree that qualified instructors of CMA greatly benefit their students in all aspects of life - therefore they should be well compensated.

Now here's something I wonder about. Lama Pai Sifu based on the data you have provided I would say you are very successful financially - do you think it's important for school owners to have the advice of professionals in terms of wealth management/asset protection. Obviously a lot of successful people that own companies find a way to put their assets & income into a trust(to their wife or children) or incorporate offshore as a way to limit liability. I guess I'm just wondering out loud whether people on this board have considered that - we live in a litigious society and I would think asset protection would be a major concern for anyone in this field. Although you have insurance policies available so maybe I'm wrong. Maybe people just get insured against potential lawsuits and leave it at that.

Any comments? Once again I really respect your school Lama Pai Sifu - I've visited the site before I knew you were on this board.

I'd really like to see this thread continue. I plan on openiing a school in the near future and want to make certain it's profitable from the get go.