Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Entry Techniques

Entry Techniques

Again I am seeking information about a particular subject. Personal opinions and philosophies of your own welcome. People of Kung Fu Magazine forums, what are the best way to start off a fight, should you be in a real life fighting situation, assuming you had the oppurtunity to strike? Both fighters are unarmed and ready.

I'd flick out a quick jab of some kind, even backfist and feel out whats available after that. Definately not too much committment in the very first tecnique but it can set up something committed, a flurry, a throw/takedown, a kick, whatever. actually not just one jab but follow ups and any opprotunity to place a stike in a good target take and be ready to avoid, counter, block. If they throw the first punch, go into a takedown or stophit.
    Bless you

kicks to and around the legs to distract. punch than back up so they charge at you, use there force against them.

Really every situation is different.
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by Yamesk
    what are the best way to start off a fight, should you be in a real life fighting situation, assuming you had the oppurtunity to strike? Both fighters are unarmed and ready.

If you can throw the first punch, make it a fight ender.....I suggest a big hook to the jaw. If people are watching and your worried about the police, make it a big open hand slap to the jaw (basicaly a open handed hook).
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Bo Hou Quan

I would recommend that your first move be diplomacy.

Quote Originally Posted by bo_hou_chuan
    I would recommend that your first move be diplomacy.

No no, thats what they want. What you do is make like your going to say somthing, then sock'em. This works on school teachers, police, nuns anyone.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

I suppose, if diplomacy doesn't work, I attempt to look as unthreatening as possible. Often people won't fight if they think you aren't worthy. If that doesn't work I supposed my natural stance for fighting would be how I would start. That is with my front foot angled 45 degrees away from the opponent to my left. And my rear foot angled 45 degrees the other way. I would try to sit low to get a good grip on the earth, but not so low that I am holding on too tight to move. I would keep my front side hand up high ready to throw a big hook fist and my rear side hand tucked into my chest ready to make the power. I generally wait for my opponent to move first as it is easier to counter attacks than to make the attack yourself.

That is all very good, but sometimes we have no time to get into a stance.

As for the one suggesting "diplomacy," I agree whole-heartedly. But if someone is walking up to you and has a knife, I don't think diplomacy is an option. It's do or die.

So in the case of a life-threatening attacker, let's assume he is coming at you unarmed and you just KNOW he is going to hit you. No doubt in your mind. However as he is walking towards you, you also have a chance to strike first.

This is the ideal situation I speak of. I say the classic sock to the face, but anything that you can throw fast enough to be affective can work here I supposed.

I wanted to hear what everyone had to say though and see if it was different from my method.

Well, if I couldn't talk my way out of it or just get out of there and i had no choice but to fight. I would do something to distract my opponent and then I would relentlessly attack.

Distract my opponent by, throwing a drink or bottle at him (assuming we're in a bar), throwing anything that is close at hand or even spitting in his face. Hopefully this would provide the split second that it would take to get the first shot in. After that first shot, hopefully take his stance away and put him on the ground. I'd then give him a boot to the head or groin and get out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamesk
    ...let's assume he is coming at you unarmed and you just KNOW he is going to hit you. No doubt in your mind. However as he is walking towards you, you also have a chance to strike first.
    As Liokault said, it's those ****ing nuns man... dropped a few like that before...

they're just walking towards you and you can just see them weighing up the guilt in their hands under their robes ready to drop some heavy catechism on you... then you just step in first and - BAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    As Liokault said, it's those ****ing nuns man... dropped a few like that before...

they're just walking towards you and you can just see them weighing up the guilt in their hands under their robes ready to drop some heavy catechism on you... then you just step in first and - BAM!

Down she goes! Every time!

I don't know...

some of those nuns have powers.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

All the above mentioned about having to fight, no other option, do or die- I'm a firm believer of kick them in the d!ck and poke them in the eye! If they still want to fight after that then they've earned it. Not an option you say? Fine, let them come close-suck that first punch in and root him- when that head bobs I'll get my eye poke in for sure.

I'd prefer to run however, especially if it's a nun. Most of them wear thick glasses for protection and have heavy crucifixes that work a lot like a rope dart. Forget that!

Warren

Spit in their face. Aim for the eyes if you can. Make the movement smooth so they're flinching while you're moving in to strike. I saw a nice little report done somewhere, some guys did an experiment with spitting at training partners who were wearing full face shields but did not expect to be spat at, virtually all of them flinched and reeled backward slightly.

You always have saliva available to you and it can be used from beyond striking distance, so you might as well use it to get within striking range. Throwing keys and coins is acceptable too, coins hurt if you're good at throwing them, especially here in Canada with that heavy toonie..

A bottle of red pepper powder will do nothing more than make the guy wish for assorted roasted vegetables. Red pepper is extremely weak. If you're going to carry anything like that it might as well be made of the strongest peppers you can find, take the seeds from a pepper, grind em up and mix it with flower or baby powder for easy distribution. But it's not really practical to need to carry this unless you are in an occupation that puts you at high fight risk, or you're an idiot that is constantly around fights.
    Last edited by paradoxbox; 09-29-2005 at 12:47 AM.

Plus with the whole pepper thing theres always the wind direction to consider.
    I would love to see someone throw some pepper that came flying back in their face.

How about this, trian hard, full contact spar a lot, be in good condition, have a good spirit.

or buy a gun.
    Bless you