Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: how would you fight these guys

Never Try To Run Away - That Will Only Make Animals Like Them Chase Ya. Best To Appear You're Not Frighten - Walk Towards Them If You Have To - But Never Run Ever

Im 5'10" 175 pounds and I can run 3 mile in 20 mins flat. Id like to see them catch me.
    -Slade-

They re nice enough to bring me weapons, I really feel I should oblige them.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Quote Originally Posted by Vasquez
    Never Try To Run Away - That Will Only Make Animals Like Them Chase Ya. Best To Appear You're Not Frighten - Walk Towards Them If You Have To - But Never Run Ever
    Good advice. I'd rather go down fighting than to be seen running. Also, random question - do you happen to have a DeviantART account? Your writing style resembles an artist I've seen somewhere on there. Just wondering.

Anyway back on topic. Slade I don't see why you would run when you can just take them down. If it wasn't a death situation I'd try my best to take them out. Oh and while on subject of 3 mile running, that's an awesome time. It takes me about 26 minutes, and if I really really push it on one of my good days I can do about 23 minutes and 36 seconds. So you got me beat.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM
    You do realize that firearms are ranged weapons don't you? Or is your breach with reality so great that you think you can dodge bullets like in the Matrix.
    I'm not intending to agree with this **** by any means, buuuuut, there was at least one study I read of where some police dept tested people to see if they were able to close the distance on a shooter, and in the majority of cases as I remember anything up to 15 feet gave the distance closer a distinct advantage over the average shooter trying to plug him... I don't have any links, cos it was the day before I had a PC of my own, but the info should be on the net somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Yamesk
    ...most Martial Artists would agree
    ...on nothing!!!
    but strength and fitness alone don't really play that much of a role in fighting at all.
    Strength plays a huge role. Fitness may do too, depending on the situation. Plus being born, brought up and then ruling the ghetto may have some relation!

People that are taller than you are HATE elbowing distance. If you can get close enough to them to elbow them then you can really nail their stomach.
    Sure they do. That's why with the longer reaches it's going to be really really hard to get in there! Plus, an elbow to the stomach is leaving your head open for a grab or a beatdown, and is quite probably not as effective against a taller guy than a rising elbow to the head, which will also cover you and give you a chance at really rocking them.
    A technique we use in my dojo is stomp on the opponent's foot and stand on it while attacking them; it renders them unable to move.
    Do you believe this?! We have the same tech in wing chun, and most strong guys will easily pull away, whilst unbalancing you into the bargain within an easy beatdown range. I do not want to get into elbow or stomp range with guys this much bigger unless I'm d@mn sure of the position.
    I was thinking that if one tried to punch you that you could grab their arm and throw them down.
    LOL Easy to read !
    But my plan would be to be defensive and never attack if I was surrounded unless conditions were favorable for me and not them.
    If you can't escape and are surrounded, the last thing you want to do is be defensive. Defensiveness will always involve evasive footwork and not getting caught, and if you're surrounded this will get you destroyed (speaking from ugly experience). It's when you're surrounded that you really wanna go apesh!t and break a hole in one of them enough to run away. Plus, when the hell do you think conditions will be favourable if you are surrounded by this size of person?! When the Seventh Cavalry pulls up!?
    Slade I don't see why you would run when you can just take them down.
    Can you just take them down?!
    If it wasn't a death situation...
    What you gonna do, ask them their intentions...
    before you
    try my best to take them out.
    ...Then you gonna buy them dinner?!

Don't get me wrong, you're entitled to your opinion, even if it tells us that you have no experience outside the dojo and that at this rate your first experience will also be your last!

Sorry Yamesk, just read your profile... I'd guessed 19 and 2 years, but I was a year off... You might not be old enough for hard liquor yet, but I assume you're old enough for coffee... or at least to smell some...!!!???

Just ragging ya. But take care with the never run bs. I'd rather lose some pride than my life, as a guy who has had to run and had to fight...

LOL @ Mat, I didnt wanna pick apart his post but since he said it I guess ill back you up.

I definetly wouldnt wanna get in too close to them purely because if they grapple you, you are going home in a coffin unless you are really good with your BJJ.

Stomach elbows would probably do next to nothing if you look a the front guy his abs are freaking huge, his got at least 6 inches thick of muscle on his abs so he wouldnt even feel it really. Eblow to the floating ribs might do something if you kept doing it.

If you could ever out menouver those giants(probably pretty easy) you might be able to land a nice downwards elbow at the base of the skull producing a knockout if lucky.

the Eye poke is always a favorite, you cant train how to resist an eye poking to know knowledge and if you can, I dont wanna do the training.
    BTW Yamesk if you can "JUST TAKE THEM DOWN" I would like to know how with that much body mass there is alot of weight holding them to the ground due to gravity I personally would have quite alot of touble trying to judo thow that *******.

Quote:
    A technique we use in my dojo is stomp on the opponent's foot and stand on it while attacking them; it renders them unable to move.
    Do you believe this?! We have the same tech in wing chun, and most strong guys will easily pull away, whilst unbalancing you into the bargain within an easy beatdown range. I do not want to get into elbow or stomp range with guys this much bigger unless I'm d@mn sure of the position.
    I do William Chuengs style of Wing chun and ive never learnt this technique, if anything ive stepped on someones foot by accident mid fight and its mega ruined me. I didnt know it was a technique, im taking it you do "Traditional" I learn under Sifu Bruce Corels, Phil Redmond might know him, but yeah... I havnt learnt that as a technique and im Black Sash so hmm who knows.

Finally WTF Yamesk fitness not playing a role in fighting? in fighting Anarobic fitness is a huge role for doing huge bursts of punches in short ammounts of time. Strength has bearing to a degree, punching power ect. Overall body conditioning is whats the difference between life and death in certain situations the ability to be able to take body and head shots without getting totally freaked out and concussed is a ability that will save you BIG TIME.
    -Slade-

I had a deviantART acconut some time ago. Guess you finally caught me!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    [/i]Sure they do. That's why with the longer reaches it's going to be really really hard to get in there! Plus, an elbow to the stomach is leaving your head open for a grab or a beatdown, and is quite probably not as effective against a taller guy than a rising elbow to the head, which will also cover you and give you a chance at really rocking them.
    I'm certainly not short (6 foot 1 inch) and yet I LOVE elbow range. Why? Because I realized that as a tall person elbow, knee and stomp range was a potential weakness and so I drilled it constantly. I am especially fond of elbows (though in a clinch a knee to the ribs never hurt me yet) please shorties come into elbow range. Just be prepared to see my elbow en route to your nose.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

I was trying to resist seriously answering the thread, as it's a bit of a daft one... as whoever it was said (Mickey?) these people are probably trouble, and if they wanted to take a piece out of you and you were stupid enough to give them the opportunity to do so... I think that's about it really!

But since there now actually appears to be a serious discussion going... *sigh* !

Quote Originally Posted by Slade
    the Eye poke is always a favorite
    I'd never really go for that wing chun biu jee style, but if I'd already worked the position and really felt I needed it I might go for a thumb gouge... can't see it happening though... there are better fight enders if you can work sucha position of superiority anyway.

I do William Chuengs style of Wing chun and ive never learnt this technique, if anything ive stepped on someones foot by accident mid fight and its mega ruined me. I didnt know it was a technique, im taking it you do "Traditional" I learn under Sifu Bruce Corels, Phil Redmond might know him, but yeah... I havnt learnt that as a technique and im Black Sash so hmm who knows.
    I don't have a black sash... I don't have any sash; I've trained without grading for 9 years and it's served me through biu jee and into the dummy. I don't know if I'm 'traditional' or not! I use kung fu, I don't let it use me! And I guess since I spar and crosstrain in all kinds of stuff, I'm traditional everything!!! There are more lineages under the sun!

I was taught a couple of foot stomps in wing chun: the only one in which I was taught to keep my foot there on was one where you already 'swam' into position (double gaun sao, kao sao or the like) for an underhook or a fuk sao clinch (whilst beating/elbowing/butting on the way of course) so you have upper body control, and you stamp the foot and (left stamp to left foot) and pin it while following up immediately with a roundhouse (yes SHOCK in wing chun too! ) or a knee stomp if you've crushed his centre already. The success rate was variable. Not a high percentage combo.

Overall body conditioning is whats the difference between life and death in certain situations the ability to be able to take body and head shots without getting totally freaked out and concussed is a ability that will save you BIG TIME.
    Spot on.

Simon: we're the same height and I love elbows too! ... I was talking about your average untrained geezer who's maybe not so familiar with the beauty of elbows. I don't think they come as naturally to most brawlers as a haymaking swing. One of my regular training partners is 2m and he loves elbows too unfortunately: his are longer than mine!

I can understand, agree and reiterate my scepticism at elbows' damage to the body but you've really never had a knee to the ribs rock you?!

Well you see I've got some exta padding over my ribs....

No, seriously, I misspoke somewhat. What I meant was that when I have used knee to the ribs on another I've never had someone transition it to a SLT on me.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

well obviously!!!!

Dim Mak would always work. I was thinking you could just punch their armpits. And if you could reach, hit their Adam's Apple. That's assuming you're tall enough. Otherwise he'll grab your fist and get in your face, and go, "RRRRRRRRR!!" and then slam you down.

Anyway like I said before I'm a Shotokan Bum, and yeah I really haven't had much experience, but I'm getting there. Sparring is the next best thing to actually fighting.

There are nerve strikes at the shin and ankles that would work as well. You don't have to be tall, big or strong. just accurate.