Thread: Another sparring problem!

Question Another sparring problem!

Yo!

Can anyone tell me some good counter attacks to use against front kicks, Round Kicks and side kicks? I thought I was sorted vs round kicks by using a side kick but that doesn't work against everyone who i spar with. Most of the kicks are thrown at me below the waist. I can block them but I want to learn some effective counters.

Thanks.

There are many, many ways to counter kicks. Alot of it depends on who is doing the kicking. Here are just a few.

1. Catch the kick and strike the body, the non-kicking leg or the leg you've caught.
    2. Side step, close gap and strike.
    3. Block with foot or shin, close gap and strike.
    4. read kick, attack non- kicking leg.
    5. withdrawl, close gap quickly and strike.
    6. read the kick and kick faster.

This is something that your instructor should be covering or something that you should be able to extract from your forms.

I like attacking the non-kicking leg. I do end up getting kicked sometimes of course.

Now that I think of it, I get kicked a lot. But hey, that's all part of learning.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

I think I must just need more practice and chances to experiment. Thanks for the ideas I will try them in sparring.

I love watching Jet Lee countering kicks in his films.

The ability to read kicks does come with practice. I like to close the gap and step between my opponents legs. This takes kicks almost completely out of the equation. Of course to get in that close you do have to pass through their kicking range. Sometimes I take a shot or two on the way in.

Happy practicing. Wear pads.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/