Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Full Contact Wing Chun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another thing I have noticed when a Wing Chun guy loses in competitions UFC ect.. Their own people disown them saying he is no rep of Wing Chun but If they won oh! he is our man go figure>

Another thing I have noticed when a Wing Chun guy loses in competitions UFC ect.. Their own people disown them saying he is no rep of Wing Chun but If they won oh! he is our man
    Ten years ago called and asked for its post back.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

it's funny how they and many other tma styles steal techniques form bjj and call it wing chun or whateevr, and when they fight mma and win they give credit to their tma even though they won with mma.

Quote Originally Posted by XINDU
    I have watched some Wing Chun fighters over the years and have really never seen anyone able to pull off Pak sau ect.. Try and pak sau or trap a good boxers hands. Sometimes I feel that is why no representative from wing chun schools show any full contact videos because alot of what has been taught is very hard to pull off against modern skilled fighters.
    that's because the style like every other tma is inferior technique, strategy, etc. wise to mma type of styles. No matter how a wing chun fighter trains a mt fighter trianing the same ammount of time will win and will fight how he trains. By the way I have seen some good wing chun in movies.

actually what you people don't realize is slipping punches, parrying, etc. (what boxers/kickboxers do) is at least as hard it is to do the wing chun blocks:
    http://www.wingchun.org/viewpt/one/2/vp1-2n.html

the only difference is the latter are conditioned to take those punches better and practise more realistically and harder generally.
    Last edited by ReignOfTerror; 07-15-2005 at 04:04 AM.

Lightbulb Footwork is key!

I have watched some Wing Chun fighters over the years and have really never seen anyone able to pull off Pak sau ect.. Try and pak sau or trap a good boxers hands. Sometimes I feel that is why no representative from wing chun schools show any full contact videos because alot of what has been taught is very hard to pull off against modern skilled fighters.

I think if you try doing pak sao to a fighter like you would in class, your always going to be disappointed.

In most class exercise you would (normally) try to pak with one hand and punch with the other at the same time. ANd it works in excercise because your partner is either stationary or charging in without stepping back, which is unlike most real world fighting situations.

Pak saoing like that is not going to work if you still need to bridge the gap, and against a fast jab with a subsequent retreat, nor against a one two punch combo. In such case if you use a lead pak sao to parry the first punch, you will almost aways have to follow through, with the same pak saoing hand, with both a half step in right away, and with either a straight punch, or a bil sao, or tan sao to cover, soon after. And depending on your foot position (Parallel or opposite) you will either use your rear hand to check and cover or punch while your lead hand is covering. But all in all, the key is in the footwork! All to often I see wing chunners and most fighters alike moving back, thus losing or depriving the full effectiveness of their techniques. Forgetting that hand position and where you stand is part of that techniques success!

so what kind of defense do you suggest against a jab?

Lightbulb The Majority is midiocre at best!

I know I'm going to get alot of flak for this, but in my personal opinion, and you can take it or leave it, I don't care, but I feel that there is so much midiocrity and public acceptance to the point where almost 90-95 percent I dare say believe that what they see on MMA or BJJ or K-1 is what real fighting proficiency is all about, all because most people personally can't see themselves fighting too beyond the level they see thier so called champion martial art heroe's themselves fight, and I believe this is not the best, especially true of most wing chunners who think this is the best even a wing chunner can do when they compete in these things. I think everyone settles quickly to believing that this is the best anyone can do in any given fight(MMA and BJJ included). If you get at least one teachnique in (usually by luck) and win the fight, hoooO your an expert and a martial artist, but yet no one ever comments really on how lucky he really just was because the other guy quite often was either careless or just plain worst than he was or he just couldn't keep up. Endurance for the lack of tecknique plays a key role in almost all fights where lack of true abilty barely exist.

If anything it's just staight up street brawl with a slight step up in my opinion because they do use some general and easily adoptable techniques such as simple timing, broken rhythm, fakes, speed, tempo changes, cadence, endurance training, strength and anything else most prize fighters and a good street fighter with any sense can use to help them. And oh yes! there are some other added bonus techniques like take downs and grappling, if you know any, but as far as seeing someone looking like a martial artist, you can forget about it. I don't see much evidence of that! The majority of fighters I see still lack total commitment to their techniques, most draw back when they could or should be stepping in, but they don't because I believe they really don't know what to do in a tight cicumstance like during the huddle where one's hands often get lost due to lack of sensitivity and not enought preperation. Also, there is hardly enough follow through, or hand technique, and/or quick change ups or redirection and quick recovery. In short, no skill! The "art" in "martial art" has gone out the window.

If your a good wing chunner, and the operative word here is being "good"! you'll know what to do from every possible possition and angle your in. So you would take advantage at every step of the way of your contact. If your apponent counters, you should always have a subsequent counter or quick follow up or change for that and anything else, without ever having to step back. You should know and be able to feel and foresee your opponents actions right away and before he's even aware of it.

When you know what your doing, the fight shouldn't be unpredictable as most people would have you believe you can't control that when in fact you can be in control all the way, limiting your opponents variables as much as possible, and predicticting his every possible move based on what you do!

There's still room for real achievement folks! Honestly I'm not quite there yet myself, but I know it can be done. Keep practicing, and don't settle for less that perfect!

so do you think it's possible to attain the fighting ability displayed in shaw brother movies such as warriors two and prodigal son where one is virtually unhittable and lightning fast with super reflexes?

there is generally alot higher level of technique and stnadup tactics in k1 and boxing than mma. but than there is cro cop.
    Last edited by ReignOfTerror; 07-15-2005 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ReignOfTerror
    that's because the style like every other tma is inferior technique, strategy, etc. wise to mma type of styles. No matter how a wing chun fighter trains a mt fighter trianing the same ammount of time will win and will fight how he trains. By the way I have seen some good wing chun in movies.

actually what you people don't realize is slipping punches, parrying, etc. (what boxers/kickboxers do) is at least as hard it is to do the wing chun blocks:
    http://www.wingchun.org/viewpt/one/2/vp1-2n.html

the only difference is the latter are conditioned to take those punches better and practise more realistically and harder generally.

I doubt you've seen good Wing Chun in movies.

Quote Originally Posted by ReignOfTerror
    so what kind of defense do you suggest against a jab?
    There are a lot of things you can do...

keeping on the offensive yourself;

body work (moving you head a lot, dodging and weaving... v v unpopular I think in WC, but fits nicely at biu jee stage); but among other things...

of course a pak can work!!! If you're standing there static and trying to stop the jab completely, you'll probably miss it and get nailed, or hit it and hurt your wrist... but the pak da is so similar to a standard boxing parry, slip, straight if you think for some reason that boxers have the answer and chunners don't you haven't met any good chunners!

In terms of rhythm and timing, eating/dodging the first jab or two and following their hand back to hit their openings works too. If you have some experience of getting punched in the head that is!

Try and pak sau or trap a good boxers hands.
    Oh, I see. You don't know what a pak sao is!

A pak sao is not a trap. It is not a block.

A pak sao is a strike. It is practised as a parry: that is not the same as a block, a block's purpose is to stop the incoming strike (which I believe very often doesn't work) and sometimes to attack the striking arm.

My purpose with a pak sao is to strike. If I hit their arm, I want to inflict damage on their arm which will weaken their muscles and their ability to hit me with that arm again. Their is nothing mysterious about this. It's the same principle as a Thai boxer using a kick to the thigh. If he's lucky it'll take the guy down and finish the fight, otherwise, and usually, he'll just repeatedly attack the same spot and progressively weaken the leg and its ability to attack effectively.

However, if I don't hit their arm (maybe I've misjudged it and they've hit me or something) I want my pak to hit the centre of their mass, ie, any of the targets that'll disrupt their balance, knock them out or otherwise **** on their bonfires.

If I make contact with their retreating arm, I can't hit their centre, so rather than wasting time disengaging or going around their arm, I use the direction their arm is going in to trap it in a position that makes it awkward for them to hit me and preferably breaks their balance enough for me to sweep them etc, and hit them with my other hand. A trap is usually a happy bit of luck and circumstance, though of course, if they don't know what the hell I'm doing I can sometimes set it up (although that is often strategically not as useful as a more direct approach).

So in summary, my objectives with a pak are (in order of importance and opportunity):

1) strike their body/head;
    2) strike their arm;
    3) same as (1);
    4) trap their arm.

I agree with Liddel and Mortal about the quality of the vids.

Except I'm not so charitable. Anybody who uses so many chain punches when they're obviously not working deserves the **** kicking out of them!

BTW Marty, I'm on Windows 2000 but for some reason I can't see your vids. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    I agree with Liddel and Mortal about the quality of the vids.

Except I'm not so charitable. Anybody who uses so many chain punches when they're obviously not working deserves the **** kicking out of them!

BTW Marty, I'm on Windows 2000 but for some reason I can't see your vids. Any suggestions?
    Mat -

Rick click and download them to your drive, load in windows media player and if you don't have the right codec then it will ask to download it for you.

Otherwise, any program that can play dvd's (or dvd files) will work.
    Marty
    "The Evil Chu's"
    Watchful Dragon

Good point man !

Xindu says
    "I have watched some Wing Chun fighters over the years and have really never seen anyone able to pull off Pak sau ect.. "

But really this is irrelevant because in the vids you supplied, they never seem to even 'attempt' any of these actions mentioned, sucessful or not (not that i saw, can someone correct me i may be wrong ?) so even if i agree with you, your point is moot.

However you raise a good point in your post, subsequently ive dropped all Pak Sao from my VT. ????
    [ joking ]
    Last edited by Liddel; 07-17-2005 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by martyg
    but since I already shared this on two of the mailing lists I might as well share it here as well to contribute another take on "full contact" fighting to the thread -

These are a few clips I converted over from dvd footage of my student's fight at the Milwaukee Rumble this past February. Full contact amateur "tough man" competition. Three one minute rounds, 45 seconds rest in between each round. Kicks and punches allowed, though not to the legs. Yes, those are giant 16oz. gloves on their hands. Consequently, I worked on him expressing the different energies (pak, tan, fuk, gum, etc.) via a fist shape. I'm including explinations of
    each clip.

http://www.hanweionline.org/wingchun...knockdown1.mpg
    Opening exchange, opponent tries to kick with a lead leg 45 degree kick (Thai type) up in Ty's ribs. Tyrone gum's and overextends his opponent's kick (kick never get's near him) then proceeds to knock him down.

http://www.hanweionline.org/wingchun...knockdown2.mpg
    Tyrone enters in quick with a pak to his opponent's guard to draw a reaction, opponent tries to stiff arm and then hit Ty. Tyrone knocks him throught he ropes. Most of the fight was like this, which is why I broke it down to the videos you see here.

http://www.hanweionline.org/wingchun/tyroneknockdown3.mpg

Opponent comes in with a lunging front kick, Tyrone stop hits it. Tyrone continues in, opponent tries to return the favor with a stop hit. Tyrone sweeps it to the side with a gaun sao followed by a punch with the same hand to try and intercept his opponent's offbalanced attempt at a hook. Then Ty lops the opponent's arm with his punching arm to keep it extended while he hammers over the top (lop da). More punching exchanges and the opponent goes through the ropes again.

http://www.hanweionline.org/wingchun...knockdown4.mpg
    Opponent tries to punch, Tyrone angle steps forward to slip it and proceeds to wrap his arm over the punching arm from underneath (lan) while hitting the opponent in the face with a punch (which is obscured in the camera angle). Uses gum at the opponent's right elbow with a short power punch to the head that winds up turning his opponent and doubling him in to the ropes. You have to slow it down to see everything, otherwise it happens so fast and looks like Ty is just shoving him at the head and turning him.

http://www.hanweionline.org/wingchun...knockdown5.mpg
    Opponent tries another 45 degree kick, Tyrone gauns it to the side again. Tyrone moves in for a punch but the opponent tries a hook over the top of it. Tyrone converts the punch in to a bong sao and sends the punch sweeping past him offbalancing the opponent. Tyrone then suddenly changes direction and darts in pinning with the bong and a gum and sends the opponent flying. He got boo'd for this by the crowd.

http://www.hanweionline.org/wingchun/tyroneknockout.mpg
    This is the knockout, which was with all things - a kick. Occured half way through the 2nd round. Opponent closes in looking to hit up top which turns out to be a fake as he goes to Ty's midsection. Tyrone intercepts with a stop hit to his hip which sends the opponent stumbling back. Opponent recovers, comes in with a big windup front kick with his back leg. Tyrone stop hits this with a short side kick (for those of you who were wondering one way to use your side kick from chum kiu). Opponent proceeds to start a hook (he said after the fight to Tyrone that he saw Ty's guard down - which it was - so he was going to go for it). Tyrone does a short power front kick (the kickboxing guys running the corners thought it was a "foot jab") to the opponent's ribs. That's it, the opponent goes down for the count and
    can't get back up.

The video footage did play on several different windows computers I tried it on, though I did have a problem with my fiance's iMac playing it. It's DVD quality footage (I didn't sample it down), so some of them are around 9 megs.

hahaha, i love how you try to put some technical names to this completely untechnical brawl. that looks like 2 guys who have never fought before in their lives, seeing how he didn't use a single WC technique

if you didn't write what he did, i wouldn't know. looks like he just did a lot of messy swinging.

all that shows is instinct > trained in a traditional MA. i know those fights are TMA b/c they allow kicks w/ no shin pads, so i know that's not an amateur kickboxing nor am boxing.

Why didn't he fight someone that could actually fight, that wouldn't fall over at every roundhouse thrown, or just ran away every time they almost got hit......
    Last edited by Sihing73; 07-17-2005 at 07:44 PM.