Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Shows in SF Bay Area

Hybrid View

Shaolin Shows in SF Bay Area

There's a Shaolin Kung Fu exhibition coming to Flint Center on 7/23/05. I can't resist their press promo copy:
    Shaolin Kung-Fu - Chinese martial arts exhibition -
    The culture of Yan Emperor and Huang Emperor is abundant of source flows; Chinese martial arts are famous, broad and profound in the world. Chinese traditional martial arts still occupy the prominent position in the world of Kung Fu with its rich cultural content. Each Chinese Kung Fu parties flows and becomes a strange view in Chinese civilization history with unusually brilliant results.
    I'm not going because I'll be at Taiji Legacy that weekend. I heard that it is lead by a Shaolin wuseng and has nine performers.

There are so many Shaolin tours that come through our area, I thought I'd start to document them here, just for fun. There was a tour that just came through a few months back - it was rather controversial:
    3/5/2005: Masonic Auditorium .

Flint Center has hosted Shaolin performances before:
    3/17/2002: Wheel of Life
    2/23/2003: Wheel of Life
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

No sooner said then...

I just heard of another CMA show that has a Shaolin connection. Strength & Unity is coming to the San Jose Civic Auditorium on August 20-21 and they are using a monk-style image to promote their tournament/conference/extravaganza. Amidst Capoeira, lion danace, taiko, etc., there is a segement called "Spirit of Shaolin". I'll start backlogging the history of shows in the area here eventually.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

my shifu(shi yan feng incase if u forgot..see u at dallas =) said another shaolin monk had traveled to california....i forgot the monk name and forgot which one..but my shifu told me he just went to california and had called zing wei up..and xing wei gave him yan feng number,.,..and told him about some competition coming up....i wonder if this InMat thing is the one he was talking about..hmmmmm

know anything about a new shaolin monk in cali?

http://www.intmat.com/teams.htm

HEY THERE MY SCHOOL NAMES!!!
    shaolin kung fu jing wu yuan..
    interesting...
    i see xing wei school name there too..and i tink i see xing ying school name on there too
    interesting..hmmm
    dont tink i can go though..i tink schools starts back up for me that week..not sure..blah

Xingwei's school?

The Shaolin Chan Wu Xue Yuan is Dr. Richard Russell's school, make no mistake about that. I think he got the name from Xinghong, who was trying to franchise internationally. Xingwei was brought out by Doc on a contract to work there. The word is that Xingwei has violated that contract and is on the run.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

well i jus say xing wei school..since he was the teacher there so i use his name..sorry if i offended anyone

Here's a new one

This is from one of my old coaches, Shi Yanxing, along with Shi Yanqiang & Shi Yankuan.

Kung Fu 1500 year Performance by 18 Shao Lin Monks
    Date: Friday, May 14, 2010
    Time: 7:30pm - 9:00pm
    1 W. Campbell Ave,
    Campbell, CA 95008
    (408) 866-2105
    http://www.ci.campbell.ca.us/heritagetheatre/index.htm

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shaolin for World Tai Chi day

This is in connection with World Tai Chi day - a press release from Shaolin Temple USA.

This coming Saturday, April 24, is the 12th World Tai Chi and Qigong Day. Shaolin Temple USA is invited to participate. We will have a booth at Union Square from 9:45 am to 3 pm. We are also scheduled to perform approximately from 12:50 pm to 1:10 pm.

Later on Saturday evening, there will be a Gala Evening and Dinner held at the Historic Hotel Whitcomb from 06:00 pm — 11:00 pm. The Histtoric Hotel Whitcomb is about six blocks away from Union Square. The masters will perform at the gala and Master YanRan will also be receiving an award then. The ticket info for the Gala Evening and Dinner is as follows:

*Early Bird Saturday Gala ONLY W/Dinner 6:00pm to 11:00PM+
    Order at $63.76 each
    Price: $60.00 Processing: $3.76 Total: $63.76

*Early Bird Saturday Gala ONLY WITHOUT/Dinner (entry at 7:00PM to 11:00PM+)
    Order at $22.00 each
    Price: $20.00 Processing: $2.00 Total: $22.00

For ticket ordering and further information, visit http://www.acteva.com/booking.cfm?bevaID=200919

For more information on the 12th World Tai Chi and Qigong Day and The Twelfth World Congress on Qigong/TCM, go to http://eastwestqi.com/wcq/wcq.html

Go to http://www.hotelwhitcomb.com/ for information on Historic Hotel Whitcomb, San Francisco, California.

To sign up, call (415) 666-9966 or (510) 818- 9966.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Xzhang

It's Zhang. I did an article on Ben in our 2004 January/February issue: Shaolin's Second Wave - Two Shaolin Disciples Found A Silicon Valley Start-Up
    Campus gets a kick out of martial arts
    by Will Liu, staff writer
    November 16, 2010 10:31 PM

Liu Ying performs Kung Fu during Chinese Culture Day at San Francisco State University on November 15 2010.

High kicks and hands-free somersaults ushered in the 2010 International Education Week at SF State as kung fu masters performed in front of Malcolm X Plaza on Nov. 15.

Top-notch martial artists were part of the Chinese Cultural Day event hosted by the Confucius Institute at SF State, which seeks to encourage and promote the Chinese language and culture.

The two-hour event, which the Institute hosted for the third time, demonstrated the rich history of the ancient Chinese art.

"Kung fu is part of a splendid Chinese culture," said Institute Director Jiaxin Xie. "Martial arts have a thousand year history in China and it's very welcomed by the people around the world."

As people made room in front of the stage, kung fu masters Leo Wang, 25, and Liu Ying, 24, came out and performed synchronized, choreographed martial arts moves for the crowd.

"I might have the title of a master and can teach kung fu, but seriously, my understanding of the art is still extremely small in comparison to some of the grand masters," Ying said.

Anthony Garcia was eating lunch and waiting for the start of his next class when the event began.

The 23-year-old labor studies major saw the performance as a reflection of appreciation of the Chinese culture.

"The performers loved everything about their culture," he said. "You can see it by their display and how they perform their activity."

The act switched into high gear when the performers did various acrobatic kicks and flips from side to side.

At one point, a performer broke a piece of steel with his head.

"I don't watch a lot of martial arts movies, except Jackie Chan. I definitely see him out there," Garcia said.

The masters then demonstrated the use of swords and sparred to demonstrate the power and grace of traditional kung fu.

Onlookers were mesmerized by the intricacy of their skills as they watched the demonstrations.

"I was surprised to see this kind of performance out here," said Audrey Roberts, a 30-year-old student in the geography master's program. "I don't normally see many Asian martial arts. It's nice to see it here where I study."

The particular type of martial arts performed is derived from the style of Shaolin kung fu, which is considered the most well -known Chinese martial art.

According to Ben Xzhang, the performance coordinator, kung fu originated as a form of bodybuilding for Shaolin monks.

"The history traces back to 1,500 years ago," said Xzhang, who has been practicing kung fu since the age of eight. "It was an art that was brought over by (the Buddhist monk) Bodhidharma from India to China. Now, we adapted the philosophy that we want to spread the wonderful culture across the world."

But the concept of kung fu extends beyond learning martial arts.

There are various elements within the art of Shaolin ranging from the performance aspect to a deeper level of artistic expression.

"We chose Shaolin kung fu because it's the most globally known Chinese martial art and the oldest," Xie said.
    This is interesting because it's the Confucius Institute, which I think is the same group that sponsors the Yandong Shaolin group in Charlotte, NC.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Here's an odd one

In Los Altos, CA.

Shaolin Showcase FBLA Fundraiser
    Share · Public Event
    Time Monday, November 29 · 7:00pm - 8:30pm
    Location Eagle Theater, Los Altos High School 201 Almond Ave. Los Altos, CA

Created By LAHS FBLA

More Info Please support the LAHS Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) by watching the first Shaolin showcase ever hosted at Los Altos High School! Born and raised in Shaolin temples in China, world renowned Shaolin kungfu fighters are coming to the Los Altos community to showcase their talents, performances, and moves that they have honed over countless years. Past performances have included moves and spars such as the praying mantis, the animal spirit, hand versus spear, and spear versus broad sword sparring. Catching these warriors in action is a rare opportunity, so come and join LAHS FBLA as we welcome them and experience a truly unique show. Tickets are $8 in advance, and $10 at the door.

For more information or questions contact:

Jasmine Xu
    FBLA Vice President
    jxufbla@gmail.com
    (650) 720 5836

OR

James Li
    FBLA President
    jamesli788@yahoo.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another from Yanran's group on NYE

I heard they did a halftime demo at Stanford vs. UConn women's basketball game, which was nationally telecast on ESPN2. Here is was on Comcast, channel 725, which is an HD channel.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Year of the Rabbit

There's surely a lot more demos in the area now for CNY with so many Shaolin schools here now. Here's a larger one.

2011 Chinese Spring Festival Gala Northern California
    Places:02-12-2011 (Sat) 7:30 PM Flint Center
    02-13-2011 (Sun) 2:00 PM Flint Center
    02-16-2011 (Wed) 7:30 PM Modesto Gallo Center for the Arts
    02-19-2011 (Sat) 8:00 PM Reno Grand Sierra

Tel:1-877-796-9988 or 1-510-796-9988
    Ticket Prices:$128(VIP),$88, $68, $48, $28

Info :
    How Far the Way to Lasa – 2011 Chinese Spring Festival Gala
    The nation-leading artists from China will tour the US to celebrate 2011 Chinese New Year. This upcoming spectacular presented by China Central TV with its top entertainers of New Year Eve’s special program has brought the joy of holidays to overseas for years. It is a fascinating combination of the Chinese performing arts. The stunting acrobatics, thrilling ethnic singing, elegant folk dance, legendary Shao Lin Kung Fu and sonorous drumming profoundly reflects the beauty of Chinese culture. Specifically, the Tibetan singer will evoke your imagination for Lasa. The glamorous artistry of Chinese arts will catch your eyes and the dazzling stage will cheer you and your family. It is a not-to-be-missed show !
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A Shaolin Benefit for Japan

It's always good to see stuff like this. There are now 6 major Chinese martial arts schools within a few blocks of each other in the Cupertino area, including two Shaolin ones. I was raised down there and even assisted teaching fencing at De Anza college. Back when I lived there, there were no such schools.

Cupertino shorts: Shaolin Kung Fu performance to benefit Japan disaster victims

Silicon Valley Community Newspapers
    Posted: 03/24/2011 08:01:39 PM PDT

Kung Fu masters to perform benefit for Japan victims

A benefit Shaolin Kung Fu performance for the victims of the recent disasters in Japan will be held March 27 at 3 p.m.

The Wushu performance, titled "Strength and Unity," will take place at the Chinese Performing Artists of America Arts Center, 6148 Bollinger Road. Admission is $15.

The center has presented international martial arts tournaments since 2005, with competitors from China and the United States.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Not sure why I'm posting this

Today's news is overshadowed.

I should also mention that there was a Shaolin demo at World Congress on Qigong and TCM in San Francisco by Shi Yanran's group, like always.

Martial Arts Power Hits Tanforan Mall
    Tanforan hosts its annual Martial Arts Fair; Tai Chi, Tae Kwon Do, and Shaolin Kung Fu are some of the styles displayed inside the Mall.
    By Daniel Beckman | Email the author | May 1, 2011

Tanforan Mall Saturday hosted local martial arts studios to display to residents of San Bruno what the different disciplines have to offer. San Bruno Patch attended the Martial Arts Fair, and got to see first-hand exactly what the different schools had to offer, and how the public received them.

When first entering the mall it seemed like a regular Saturday at Tanforan, full of shoppers, people running errands, and kids roaming around giving their parents some good exercise. One thing was different today; a Martial Arts Fair on the upper floor of the mall. From 1p.m.-4p.m. martial arts schools like E-Tae Kwon Do, Dancel Tae Kwon Do, and Tai Chi Yuen set up booths in preparation for demonstrations that would take place later in the day.

Early on, 40 or so seats set up in front of the stage were packed, and shoppers began to stand and sit in the surrounding area, anywhere within sight of the action. As the event began, close to a hundred people had gathered to watch the different demonstrations that were about to occur.

The first demonstration, and clearly one of the most popular based on audience reaction, was a young 9-year-old girl named Emma, trained in Shaolin Kung Fu and Wu Shu. Studying for two years, she gave a demonstration of Shaolin Kung Fu.

Next was some Tai Chi, performed by Tai Chi Yuen, a much more relaxed style of martial arts used primarily to strengthen the body through slow, calculated movements.

All styles of martial arts showcased at the Fair were well received by the audience. Many walked up to school representatives of their most-liked martial art to inquire about participating as a student.

In all, the Martial Arts Fair at Tanforan Mall was a success, with great performances and a happy, well-entertained crowd. If you enjoy martial arts, make sure to attend the next annual Martial Arts Fair at Tanforan Mall.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More interesting timing

May 21st is also the 1st Shaolin Summit at the LA Convention Center
    Martial Arts Event Rises to New Level
    By Megan Kung
    – May 9, 2011Posted in: AHSC 2011, Arts-Entertainment, Bay Area, Lifestyle, News, Sports

Muay Thai Kickboxing at the 5th Annual Asian Heritage Street Celebration in 2009.

Kru Sam Phimsoutham has outdone himself this year. Rather than settle for the already popular amateur bouts featured at past Asian Heritage Street Celebrations, the World Team USA owner has invested more than $100,000 in a truly pan-ethnic and professional martial arts showcase.

Shaolin monks flown in from China will be kicking off the martial arts showcase at the 7th Annual Asian Heritage Street Celebration on May 21, at Civic Center. Adding a theatrical air will be a lion dance team introducing amateur and professional fighters, along with cameras recording the event to be streamed online at martialvillage.org.

After the Shaolin martial arts demonstration, Filipino fighters from the International Eskrima/Serrada Association will show off their weapon skills in dizzying blurs of sticks and blades. A simple yet effective martial art, Eskrima views short weapons like sticks and knives as extensions of the body. Eskrima’s practicality arose from the need to quickly teach large groups of ordinary villagers how to fight.

In the main ring, amateur and professional Muay Thai and mixed martial arts fighters will provide non-stop action. The World Boxing Council, the organization under which champion boxer Manny Pacquiao achieved the super welterweight title, will sanction the professional fights.

Muay Thai, also known as the “Art of Eight Limbs,” uses the hands, elbows, knees and feet to deliver damage. Mixed martial arts often combines the punching and kicking techniques of Muay Thai with the grappling and wrestling of other forms of fighting, like judo or jiu-jitsu, resulting in a unique style to each fighter.

At street level beside the main ring will be mats where fights and demonstrations of various sports and traditional martial arts will take place. As this event historically draws the largest crowd all day at the street fair, try to show up before the monks begin the festivities at 2 p.m.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips