Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Shows in SF Bay Area

SF Chronicle

all in all, it was a pretty fair article. these sort of falling outs happen quite frequently when someone sponsors a shaolin monk. Lack of spirituality is more of an excuse then what the deeper reasons usually are: incompatible expectations and issues of control.

You're just saying that because he quoted you more than me

I'd like to add that I wasn't 'stunned' by the directors' lack of understanding...disappointed perhaps, but not stunned. The reported Matthai mentioned that one of the directors had commented that the Shaolin monks weren't meditating enough. That comment may have stunned me. How much is enough? And who is to judge?

I think Matt is totally right about the expectation/control issue of sponsors. What is interesting about this situation is that it's a non-profit org. I think Guolin's STOH is a non-profit too, but that's run by Guolin (and he's had his recent issues too, as we all know). This situation with the non-profit being set up by some private entrepreneurs - this is a little different.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Not sure where this thread has been going but back to Shows in the SF Area,
    Shaolin Kung Fu Chan will have a Grand Opening celebration for their San Jose school on May 20, 2007 starting at 2pm

See the site: http://www.shaolinkungfuchan.com/

My team will be doing the lion dance. Should be a few performing monks doing demos. At the last grand opening, there were 9 of them.
    Last edited by hasayfu; 05-02-2007 at 09:46 PM.

Where this thread is going...

I think it's more interesting to see where this thread has been. Where any thread is going, who can say?

Like I mentioned to you privately, hasayfu, Chen Fei has agreed to do another monk demo for RDK Ultimate Internationals, our only local Tiger Claw Elite Qualifier. There's discussion of me narrating the demo. Because the TCECs are open tournaments, last year's show was well received but not understood. The Chinese style participants might have been unimpressed, since most of them have seen such demos before, but the Japanese, Korean and other styles were amazed and confused. They liked what they saw, but didn't understand any of it. Duck style looks really absurd if you don't know that it's duck style. Chen Fei offered a lion dance as an additional part of the program, which means I hope that I'll be seeing you there.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

So funny how the performers are always the last to know.
    Right after I read your note, I got a message that we will be doing this show.

Look forward to seeing you there.

I'm so glad *you* are narrating

That's one less thing I'll have to worry about that day, bro! See you there!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Anyone going to either the Tournament this saturday or the grand opening on the 20th? Just got back from the practice and if you like to see the Shaolin type shows, this will be a good one.

Looks like 7 performing monks for the saturday show. Not sure how many on the 20th since that's a school show. Should be a lot but can't really say.

If anyone comes by to either one, I'm the drummer for the lion dance.

Oh, no duck this year but how about toad and scorpion?

No duck

What happened to your duck?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

record it and show us plz
    ty
    =)
    Teo Chew Association: Unicorn Dragon and Lion Dance Team
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團
    http://www.facebook.com/TctLionDance

United States Dragon & Lion Dance Federation
    usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts
    http://www.facebook.com/NoLagX

It was a fun performance. godd to see sihing Gene. In a suit no less. I hope we delivered. It was a good exercise to balance a lot of content within a restricted time frame.

I'll check around about any vids. Not sure how it will turn out. It was a pretty wide venue which spread out the performance.

Next one is this Sunday.

We're all busted

Unauthorized Shaolin performances banned
    By Winny Wang 2007-5-25

INDIVIDUALS and companies are not allowed to perform Shaolin martial arts overseas unless they have the approval of government authorities, the Dengfeng City government has announced.

The temple, the birthplace of Chinese kung fu, lies in Dengfeng in Central China's Henan Province.

Anyone who wants to join in activities overseas involving Shaolin martial arts and using the name of Shaolin, such as "Shaolin Kung Fu" or "Shaolin Monks," must get approvals from the local government, the Foreign Affairs department, the sports bureau and the religion bureau.

The Shaolin Temple has long been famous for its martial arts. The temple was built in 495 AD and abounds in legendary stories about the martial-arts monks.

But some unauthorized overseas performances have affected the temple's international reputation in recent years, the report said.
    I'm wondering how Dengfeng plans to enforce this edict.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I'm wondering how Dengfeng plans to enforce this edict.
    how can they enforce this?
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團

usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts

I'm falling behind again

Our next big Shaolin event here will be IntMAT. Shi Xinglie just stopped by the office here and reminded me that it's this Sunday. I hear some of the Houston monks will be coming, along with the one in Vegas. Hope to see some of you there.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

IntMAT is becoming a Shaolin tournament

There was some wushu, but with all the Shaolin disciples in the area now, there was a whole lot of Shaolin students busting out Shaolin forms. Half of the judges were monks. There were at least two dozen Shaolin monks there. Beyond the locals, Xingying and Yanfeng came from Houston and Xingwei came from Vegas. I'll have a report but it's not going to make the next issue (Sep/Oct 007). It'll be in our Nov/Dec 007....
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    There was some wushu, but with all the Shaolin disciples in the area now, there was a whole lot of Shaolin students busting out Shaolin forms. Half of the judges were monks. There were at least two dozen Shaolin monks there. Beyond the locals, Xingying and Yanfeng came from Houston and Xingwei came from Vegas. I'll have a report but it's not going to make the next issue (Sep/Oct 007). It'll be in our Nov/Dec 007....
    nice........
    did all the *monks* demonstrate or show anything??
    pictures??
    time to wh0re youtube for videos....
    how many people participated/competed?
    it was big?
    Last edited by Pk_StyLeZ; 06-12-2007 at 09:10 PM.
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團

usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts