Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Shows in SF Bay Area

Shaolin Shows in SF Bay Area

There's a Shaolin Kung Fu exhibition coming to Flint Center on 7/23/05. I can't resist their press promo copy:
    Shaolin Kung-Fu - Chinese martial arts exhibition -
    The culture of Yan Emperor and Huang Emperor is abundant of source flows; Chinese martial arts are famous, broad and profound in the world. Chinese traditional martial arts still occupy the prominent position in the world of Kung Fu with its rich cultural content. Each Chinese Kung Fu parties flows and becomes a strange view in Chinese civilization history with unusually brilliant results.
    I'm not going because I'll be at Taiji Legacy that weekend. I heard that it is lead by a Shaolin wuseng and has nine performers.

There are so many Shaolin tours that come through our area, I thought I'd start to document them here, just for fun. There was a tour that just came through a few months back - it was rather controversial:
    3/5/2005: Masonic Auditorium .

Flint Center has hosted Shaolin performances before:
    3/17/2002: Wheel of Life
    2/23/2003: Wheel of Life
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

No sooner said then...

I just heard of another CMA show that has a Shaolin connection. Strength & Unity is coming to the San Jose Civic Auditorium on August 20-21 and they are using a monk-style image to promote their tournament/conference/extravaganza. Amidst Capoeira, lion danace, taiko, etc., there is a segement called "Spirit of Shaolin". I'll start backlogging the history of shows in the area here eventually.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

my shifu(shi yan feng incase if u forgot..see u at dallas =) said another shaolin monk had traveled to california....i forgot the monk name and forgot which one..but my shifu told me he just went to california and had called zing wei up..and xing wei gave him yan feng number,.,..and told him about some competition coming up....i wonder if this InMat thing is the one he was talking about..hmmmmm

know anything about a new shaolin monk in cali?

http://www.intmat.com/teams.htm

HEY THERE MY SCHOOL NAMES!!!
    shaolin kung fu jing wu yuan..
    interesting...
    i see xing wei school name there too..and i tink i see xing ying school name on there too
    interesting..hmmm
    dont tink i can go though..i tink schools starts back up for me that week..not sure..blah

Xingwei's school?

The Shaolin Chan Wu Xue Yuan is Dr. Richard Russell's school, make no mistake about that. I think he got the name from Xinghong, who was trying to franchise internationally. Xingwei was brought out by Doc on a contract to work there. The word is that Xingwei has violated that contract and is on the run.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

well i jus say xing wei school..since he was the teacher there so i use his name..sorry if i offended anyone

no offense taken, Pk_StyLeZ...

...but we're all still wondering where Xingwei will pop up.

I found out a little more about the Flint Center show this weekend. Apparently it comes from some Henan organization - something to do with a society for Henan people abroad or something. I'm completely unclear on the amount of monks and such now, but I hear there are also acrobats and dancers involved. I've also heard that there is some sort of free show in SF on Friday, then the show at the Flint the next day. I was just asked if I want tickets, but of course, I'll be at Taiji Legacy.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

wow xing wei disappeared??

so ths flint center thing is the same weekend as taiji legacy..aww so u will have any people covering the flint center so u can keep us updated about it?

what about the IntMAT..know anything about that??..ever find out or hear about a new monk appearing in cali??..apparently there is because my sifu said he called him..and he invited my sifu to a show/competition in august too..and i am guessing it is the samething as IntMAT since our school name is on there...so yeah....

well see u at taiji legacy....i wish it was now..i want to get it over with..i have not been trainin as hard as i was last year.....i just want to get it over with...i am so out of shape...ahhh!!!!!!!! 2 days left to practice!!

The shows...

...you konw, we'd go nuts if we tried to cover all the Shaolin and Shaolin-style shows in the area now. I guess that's partly the point of this thread. I have some friends going to the show this weekend, so I should get an informal report and I'll let you know.

As for monks in this area, there are some performance monks here already. I did an article on them a while back, in our Jan Feb 2004 issue - Shaolin's second wave.

As for IntMAT, it's mostly the brainchild of Ann Woo, who is the executive director of the Chinese Performing Artists of America. She's done a lot of great work promoting Chinese arts - I think this is her first venture into Chinese martial arts.

See ya at TJL!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ooooo i see
    know the name of the two monks?
    got pictures?beside the one in ur magazine obviously..lolz

Well, they are performance monks...

See, that was part of the point of that article. There is a new generation of monks that I've dubbed the Second Wave - these are wuseng that have only been indoctrinated for a performance tour, then they leave the order immediately after. Many, like these two, did the bulk of their training outside of Shaolin. The two featured in this article were Chen Fei (who took the name Yanfei) and Ben Zhang (who took the name Xingzhen). They were working together for a short peroid, then Chen Fei split off to join CPAA as their Assistent Wushu Director (he was with my master Sifu Tony Chen and the O-Mei Kung Fu Academies prior to going to Ben). Ironically, CPAA has some connection to IntMAT. Anyway since then, Chen Fei has split off again to form his own school, which I know I have the contact info for somewhere on this chaotic mess I call a work desk, but I can't find it just now.

Maybe now you get a little taste of the crazy Shaolin environment we have here in the SF Bay Area. And this is just the Songshan Shaolin circles. It gets even nuttier when you look at the traditional circles and the wushu circles...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

thanx for all the info and links

well gotta go get pack my stuff for dallas..see u this weekend gene..=)

well i shouldnt be that hard to spot..i will be with all the people in yellow clothes..yes this year we are yellow people..not orange people(haha inside joke from lipeng competition for the others that dont know)

Cool

See ya there, cousin! I'm leaving in a few hours...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shaolin at the Flint center

So I got one report this morning. Apparently the show was disappointing. The head monk was Shi Yansen, who is a head wuseng coach at Shaolin Temple apparently. He lead a group of a dozen monks, including a big older guy that I only know as Zhou Laoshi (teacher Zhou). It's unclear if they were there in 'official capacity' (meaning Abbot approved). But the show was only partly Shaolin monks - there was a lot of music and dance and acrobats. The Shaolin performance was only two small portions of the show, less than half an hour sum told, so the people who went to see Shaolin kung fu were sorely disappointed. What they got was mostly wushu and only a few minutes of traditional (but your often lucky to see any traditional at all). It's too bad really, since it again sullies the Shaolin name in the eyes of the general public...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

o thanx for the update on the show

nice seeing u agian at taiji legacy also

when will the report of taiji legacy be in the kung fu magazine?