Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Shows in SF Bay Area

next issue

The TJL report will be in our Nov Dec issue, on newsstands in early October. I did catch a pic of you doing your dao form, as well as the group award shot, but it'll be up to the graphic artist (Design Sifu) on what is used in the final layout. We didn't pursue the forum members shots that aggressively this year - there are too many forum members at TJL...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

haha ya i notice there was a lot of forum poster on here as i went to the other board and saw...probably would be hard to get a roll call on all the members..since the competiton is pretty big and a lot of people everywhere..be hard to find everyone...well let see if i make it into the magazine..=)

Strength and Unity

Last weekend was the *new* International Martial Arts Festival in San Jose, CA (www.intmat.com). It featured seminars, a tournament and two nights of demos. I went to the first night, which featured performances by San Jose Taiko, Ballet San Jose Silicon Valley, the Chinese Performing Artists of America, Lion Dance by Yau Kung Moon, Tai Chi by Li's Kung Fu, Capoeira by Palo Alto Capoeira, Wushu by the Wuhan Wushu Team and a segment called Spirit of Shaolin, which is why I'm posting it here. The Spirit of Shaolin segment was quite good actually. The group called themselves 'China Shaolin' but it was really a group of Shaolin wuseng and disciples. Never in their performance did they call themselves monks, only Shaolin masters, since most of them were only disciples, but skilled nonetheless. They opened with bows to a Tamo altar, then did a mellow 8 section brocade to typical new-age Buddhist music. Then the exploded in a flamboyant display of Shaolin kung fu and wushu, mostly the flashy stuff, but a smattering of traditional forms like qixing. That was all to some big-beat dance music. For the end, four perofrmers did the metal-bar-over-the-head break, which was different since usually this stunt is only done by one at a time. What fascinated me most is that these performers don't usually work together, in fact I doubt they even rehearsed, but still pulled off well-paced entertaining show. Lots of *wow* factor. Judging on the audience reaction, it was clearly one of the strongest acts in the show (although the Wuhan troupe was very good, which is remarkable since Wuhan is more know for its Sanda than its Taolu). Shi Xingwei, formerly from Las Vegas and Shi Xingying from Houston performed, accompanied by Shaolin disciples De Zhengxu (I don't know his diciple name) and Chen Fei (Yanfei). The tournament director was Xingle Ye (Shi Yanxing). I actually felt a moment of inspiration, a little kindle of Shaolin fire, during the performance, which is saying a lot since I see a lot of these and have become rather jaded, I'm afraid. To see all these wuseng and disciples pull together quickly and throw down a decent show was quite nice.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Well, this isn't in SF, nor is it Shaolin...

...but this seemed to be the best thread for me to post this on.

Eldorado Presents American Premier of Chun Yi: The Legend of Kung Fu

(Reno, Nev.) – The American debut direct from Beijing, Chun Yi: The Legend of Kung Fu is a unique theatrical production which celebrates the philosophy and skill of the martial art of Kung Fu through story-telling, dramatic design, choreography, flying acrobatics and breath-taking music. This production breaks the mold with its clear and delightful storyline and its unique blending of ballet, modern dance and Kung Fu movement. Premiering in the intimate Eldorado Showroom September 13, the show continues through January 1.

The company of 65 features a cast of young Kung Fu practitioners, dancers, and acrobats, all of them professional performers from all regions of China, including 5 boys under the age of 12, already well-advanced in their training, and clearly delighted with their early chosen profession.

The performers are not only skilled in Kung Fu martial arts, but are also trained in, and quite impressive in their theatrical presentation. The dancers and acrobats add new dimensions to the exploration of the movements and discipline of Kung Fu. The action is continuous and the drama is breathtaking. A young boy, brought by his mother, enters the Temple of Kung Fu and trains to become a monk in the Kung Fu tradition. The master begins the boy’s apprenticeship, giving him the name “Chun Yi”, the Pure One. As he grows and develops, he learns the physical skills of Kung Fu but also learns he must withstand temptations of the heart along the way and throughout his life in order to maintain his discipline and Kung Fu focus. Chun Yi meets the challenges, falls for and overcomes temptation and finally attains the honor of being named Master, becoming a wise teacher for the next generations.

Developed at the Beijing Red Theatre by China Heaven Creation, one of China’s leading performing arts producers, Chun Yi: The Legend of Kung Fu has impressed audiences and critics alike all over the world. Says Ian Trafford of Stage by Stage in London, “I work in the theatre industry in Britain, and I would say that this is one of the best shows I have ever seen anywhere, including the West End and Broadway. The design is stunning, with one gorgeous idea after another. The flying is breath-taking and the lighting is very effective. Congratulations on an unforgettable evening!”

Director and Playwright Su Shijin has interwoven emotion and action by skillfully combining traditional martial arts movement with evocative dance, ballet and flying acrobatics. Scriptwriter Gao Liting has captured the story of a young boy seeking enlightenment while the powerful music by Zheng Bing underscores the entire production, including the haunting theme song, The Lotus Blossoms Silently. Set designer Han Lixun has created a vast and interactive environment enhanced by the dramatic lighting effects of Rang Ruiguo.

Chun Yi: The Legend of Kung Fu plays the Eldorado Showroom September 13 through January 1. Tickets are available from $30.95. For information and show times call the Eldorado at 1-800-648-5966 or 775-786-5700 in Nevada. Visit the Eldorado online at eldoradoreno.com.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

so any news on xing wei and where he plan to settle down at?
    did u talk to him?

thanx for the update
    any pictures?or will it be in your magazine?
    Teo Chew Association: Unicorn Dragon and Lion Dance Team
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團
    http://www.facebook.com/TctLionDance

United States Dragon & Lion Dance Federation
    usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts
    http://www.facebook.com/NoLagX

Xingwei

Yes, I did see Xingwei, at both the IntMat event above and at NCCAF the weekend before (which I didn't bother to mention here). I think he was hanging out with Shi Yanxing, but I'm not sure. I have no idea what his plans are. I'm not sure that he knows.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

West America Sep 24, 2005 in Oakland

The lastest Shaolin monk show (and sorry for being tardy about adding this one to the thread) is West America. I say I'm tardy because it's a Tiger Claw sponsored event and it's being co-promoted by my Sifu, Tony Chen of USA O-Mei Academy. That being said, you'd think I'd know more about who will be coming to this. There is a contigent of disciples that are in our area - Chen Fei, Ben Zhang and Xu Dezhang - but they are actually part of their own schools. However, the schools in our area have been supporting each other in the tournaments. Sifu Tony has been assisting Shi Yanfeng, not to be confused with the Yanfeng in Houston, but the one mentioned in our article in the Shaolin Special 2005. Also, I know Sifu Tony met with Shi Yansen and the group that came out for the Flint Center show mentioned on the previous page, just because there's a picture of him with them at our studio. So who will be representing Shaolin at this show, I don't know.

The most ironic thing is that I'm already firmly booked for Sep. 24th, so I won't be able to go. I know that Sifu Tony is putting together a fight night - USA vs. China - in November I think. The same "Monks of Shaolin" are being advertised for that. As soon as I get more data on that, like a website, I'll post it here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

there is a shaolin monk show in vegas right now?
    do you know anything about a shaolin monk show in las vegas right now?my sifu shi yan feng told me about it and said its going on right now?
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團

usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts

Can you get more details?

Maybe it's the Chun Yi show, posted above and elsewhere now. I thought that was only going to Reno.

As for the West America show, I hear it was quite small. I'm suspicious about who the 'monks' might have been.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

hm i will try to get more details this weekend when i go to class, not a promise though.

the chun yi show looks really interesting, i saw the trailer they had on the website. looks good
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團

usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts

Shaolin coverage

OK, this isn't a Shaolin show at all, but there was an article in the SF Chronicle on Shaolin this weekend (in the Insight section, no less). Check it out.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shaolin Kung Fu 2006

There are two performances of this tour (12:30 & 7:00) scheduled for the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, CA on 3/12/6. Two more (same schedule) will be the next day at Scottish Rite Auditorium, Oakland, CA. I'm not sure, but I thought I heard there was going to be a 3rd show in the south bay. I haven't found a website for it, but it's being heavily advertised on Chinese TV and had an ad in the S.F. Chron's entertainment section last Sunday. I'm not sure who the promoter is, or who is involved.

We just heard from John Leung who caught another Shaolin show in Singapore. He said it was like a broadway show with singers and dancers in between demonstrations. The president (if that's the proper term for Singapore's leader) attended the entire performance.

I don't know if either of these shows are 'official' as in has the blessings of Songshan Shaolin. After Chun Yi and the Abbot's attempt to trademark, 'official' might be a moot point.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I was mistaken

Here are the listings for "Shaolin Kung Fu" out of the ad in today's SF Chronicle:

March 12th - 12:30PM & 7:00PM
    Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, SF
    415-392-4400 www.cityboxoffice.com www.tickets.com

March 18th & 19th - 7:00PM
    Flint Center, Cupertino
    408-864-8916 www.ticketmaster.com

March 26th - 12:30PM & 7:00PM
    Scottish Rite, Oakland
    415-392-4400 www.cityboxoffice.com www.tickets.com

Chen Fei (Yanfei) stopped by yesterday and was just as curious as we were to know who was behind this tour. The ad is small and provides no clues.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

30+ performers

Apparently this troupe is being brought over by a private promoter outside the martial world. It's being heavily advertised within the Chinese community and only minimally promoted outside. It's reported to be a troupe of 30+ performers from one of the schools in nearby Dengfeng. Ticket prices are $88, $68, $48 & $30. Most of us are skeptical that the SF Bay Area can support 6 performances over three weeks, but we'll see how it goes. It looks like we might have a line on some passes...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    Apparently this troupe is being brought over by a private promoter outside the martial world. It's being heavily advertised within the Chinese community and only minimally promoted outside. It's reported to be a troupe of 30+ performers from one of the schools in nearby Dengfeng. Ticket prices are $88, $68, $48 & $30. Most of us are skeptical that the SF Bay Area can support 6 performances over three weeks, but we'll see how it goes. It looks like we might have a line on some passes...
    tell them to come to houston and perform too =D
    and give me some passes too while u at it
    =D =D
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團

usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts