Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Shows in SF Bay Area

Funny you should bring up Houston

One of Shaolin's most interesting photographers, Justin Guariglia, is showing at Houston's FOTOFEST 2006: The Eleventh International Biennial of Photography & Photo-Related Art, March 10 - April 23, 2006. I just heard from Justin - he's headed to Houston now, so his exhibit must be debuting very soon. Justin works for National Geographic and did that unprecedented Smithsonian photo essay on Shaolin back in 2002. He also did the Shaolin portrait that was in the last Amnesty International Calendar - see my article Shaolin & Amnesty International in our Jan Feb 2006 issue.

I'm dying to see his exhibit, but I can't go to Houston, just for this...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Shaolin disciple demo at RDK in Santa Clara this weekend

I just met four disciples from Shaolin that will be performing as a special added treat at our only local Tiger Claw Elite Championship Qualifier, the Ultimate Internationals, in Santa Clara, CA, May 5-6, 2006. Working with the cooperation of Shaolin disciple Chen Fei (see above), we managed to bring in these four, who were previously in the US for the Chun Yi tour. They will be performing a very short demo in the morning as part of the opening ceremonies.

To catch up on Tiger Claw Elite Championships, see our thread on the TC Media forum or simply go to www.tigerclawelite.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tiger Claw Elite & Ultimate Internationals

The Shaolin disciple demo was ok. Chen Fei, De Zhengxu and some others joined the visiting four disciples, whose names I didn't catch unfortunately. They started with an rahter dramatic eight-section brocade, then showed their animal styles - tiger, leopard, scorpion, toad, duck and monkey. They did some sparring forms, some synchronized stuff, some tongbei, a little iron head (a two metal bar break), and some weapons demos. They did it all to a little boom box which I had to point the mike at (I was the MC ) and I thought about calling out what was going on to give it all some context, but I didn't know what was coming and I thought I might blank on something. Besides, I had to do all this other stuff for the tournament all day, so I figured I could rest while these guys were doing their thing. It probably could have used some explaination, since there were a lot of TKD and Karate people who didn't really know what they were looking at. And I could have easily described the action. Maybe next time. Then again, maybe not.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Shaolin roll call

Just for the record, as if anyone is keeping track beyond me, here are the names of the Shaolin performers at the last Tiger Claw Elite Championship Qualifers:
    Chen Fei (Yanfei)
    Chen Zhen (Yanzhen)
    De Zhengxu (Xingzhang)
    Si Zhiqiang (Yanqiang)
    Song Zhennan (Yannan)
    Wu Mingan (Yongzhen)
    Xi Gangxia (Yonghao)
    Ye Xinglie (Yanxing)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Strength & Unity - the sequel

Strength & Unity 2006 was again held in the San Jose Civic Center on Sunday June 18, 2006. This year had a nice showing of Shaolin monks and disciples from our immediate area, Houston, Las Vegas, and of course, China. I'm not going to sort out the names of who performed and such, because it was somewhat muddled in terms of who was there and who actually performed. I'm just going to list exactly what is written in the program.
    Shaolin Monks - showcase of Shaolin kung fu
    Performers: Priest Xing Ying, Priest Xing Wei, Priest Yan Feng, Priest Xing Hao, De Zheng Xu, Xing Lie Ye, Fei Chen, Xi Gang Xia, Giu Wu Li, Xue Qiang Lv, Chuan Wang Xhou, Ming An Wu, Zhen Chen, Zhen Nan Song, Zhi Qiang Si
    Note that many of the names are parallel to the post above (they are the locals and new FOB disciples). It was a good show considering the showcase, definitely the centerpiece of the performance, which also included Ernie Reye's Action Team and several dance performances. There was an amusing variation of the pull-the-bowl-off-my-stomach trick because it was prefaced by a drunken style form by the bowl-sucker performer. Two other drunken style performers pulled the hapless audience member off the bowl. Aslo, one performer ripped a phone book in half, but it was strangely unconvincing. Yan Feng, now sporting a full head of hair, did a ditang routine after the Shaolin performance was done. He was dressed in a red and white modern wushu uniform, and I wouldn't have even recognized him had ne not come up to me and said "hello".
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    Strength & Unity 2006 was again held in the San Jose Civic Center on Sunday June 18, 2006. This year had a nice showing of Shaolin monks and disciples from our immediate area, Houston, Las Vegas, and of course, China. I'm not going to sort out the names of who performed and such, because it was somewhat muddled in terms of who was there and who actually performed. I'm just going to list exactly what is written in the program.

Note that many of the names are parallel to the post above (they are the locals and new FOB disciples). It was a good show considering the showcase, definitely the centerpiece of the performance, which also included Ernie Reye's Action Team and several dance performances. There was an amusing variation of the pull-the-bowl-off-my-stomach trick because it was prefaced by a drunken style form by the bowl-sucker performer. Two other drunken style performers pulled the hapless audience member off the bowl. Aslo, one performer ripped a phone book in half, but it was strangely unconvincing. Yan Feng, now sporting a full head of hair, did a ditang routine after the Shaolin performance was done. He was dressed in a red and white modern wushu uniform, and I wouldn't have even recognized him had ne not come up to me and said "hello".
    i got some videos and pictures of shao feng in that white and red uniform that i need to upload onto the website....but my stupid desktop has a virus on it. and im to lz to fix it. blah.
    but anywayz,
    nice reviews....now any pictures??*shao feng probbaly has a lot for me to upload for the webste which will take me another 103912 months to do) hahaha
    Teo Chew Association: Unicorn Dragon and Lion Dance Team
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團
    http://www.facebook.com/TctLionDance

United States Dragon & Lion Dance Federation
    usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts
    http://www.facebook.com/NoLagX

Sorry no pics

It was father's day, so I wasn't working really. I just went for fun although I might write it up for the mag because there's some interesting aspects to it. We'll see.

Meanwhile, what's more interesting for this thread is Shaolin's progress here in the gold mountain of SF. I just met four new monks at Tony Chen's school, the USA O-mei Academy. Will my current master retain one or two? Perhaps. Also there's this, the Shaolin Foundation (not to be confused with our own Friends of Shaolin branch of the Tiger Claw Foundation). And lastly the cipher to much of this - our new San Jose Shaolin branch, Shaolin Kungfu Chan. And there's more to come.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shaolin Kungfu chan?

That's interesting. Is that a common name for a shaolin school? I just came across this site for shi xing wei a couple weeks ago

http://www.xingwei-kungfu.com/index.html

Xingwei - Xinglie

My understanding is that Xingwei was on the same tour with Ye Xinglie (aka Yanxing - he has the same parallel issue with his given name and his Shaolin name like Wang Deqing aka Xinghong). Earlier this morning, someone here was noodling around Ye's site and wound up on Xingwei's site through a link, but now I can't find that link. They are Shaolin brothers and friends. In fact, it was Xingwei that introduced me to Ye Xinglie the first time we met. I think that was at the Berkeley tournament last year, but I can't remember exactly. Ye gave me his brochure, and I was looking for it the other day, but I couldn't find it. My Shaolin files are a huge mess now. Overflowing. Anyway, I'm struggling to remember all the names of the new local monks and disciples. It's all very confusing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

so there are a lot of monks/disciples in the united states now?
    and all the new ones are in san francisco?
    does anyone know how the one in new york are holding up with guolin? they still there?
    so many...we should have a shaolin party..but lets hold it in houston..so i can go..yeah i am selfish..haha =D =p =p
    Teo Chew Association: Unicorn Dragon and Lion Dance Team
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團
    http://www.facebook.com/TctLionDance

United States Dragon & Lion Dance Federation
    usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts
    http://www.facebook.com/NoLagX

A lot of Shaolin progeny

I lost track like two Shaolin specials ago...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Terracotta Warriors is in town...

This doesn't really count as a Shaolin show since I'm not sure there is anyone from Shaolin in it. However, like Chun Yi (which did have some Shaolin graduates) I think Terracotta Warriors is derivative of the live Shaolin shows. We discussed TW a while back here.

It's playing three corners of the Bay again, S.F., the Si Valley, & Oaktown, which really saturates the market. I'm not sure why these Chinese promoters think they can drum up that much of an audience. I thought about going but it's too expensive and I didn't feel like hustling up a comp for it.

It got panned in the Chronicle with a snoozing man (second lowest rating, the lowest is an empty seat).

Made in China and (unfortunately) exported to the U.S.
    Robert Hurwitt, Chronicle Theater Critic
    Thursday, September 28, 2006

Terracotta Warriors: Action musical. Written and directed by Dennis K. Law. (Sight, Sound & Action. Through Friday at Flint Center for Performing Arts, De Anza College, Cupertino. Tickets: $40-$95. (408) 998-8497. Also Wed.- Oct. 8. Paramount Theatre, 2025 Broadway, Oakland. Tickets: $45- $95. (510) 635-8497. And Oct. 11-15, Orpheum Theatre, 1192 Market St., San Francisco. Tickets: $45-$102. (415) 512-7770. Two hours, 25 minutes. www.sightsoundaction.com.)
    Acrobatic dancers leap high, somersault in midair or engage in a passionately energetic pas de deux as recorded orchestral strings surge with shopworn Hollywood-score passion. Bevies of beauties in fabulous Qin Dynasty costumes parade in pageants as static as an under-rehearsed high school show. Dynamic Mongol and Chinese warriors execute ferocious martial arts choreography to what sounds like a take on the standard posse-chase galloping music from an old Western.

Little more than a week after the Suzhou Kun Opera Theatre's revelatory "Peony Pavilion" graced the Cal Performances series, the "Terracotta Warriors" that opened Tuesday at Cupertino's Flint Center looks more like a parody than another major import from China. It's the latter, though.

"Terracotta" is a huge, action-packed spectacle by Sight, Sound & Action, China's only privately owned theatrical company. Though previously seen in Canada, it's now receiving its U.S. premiere in a short tour that moves to Oakland's Paramount Theatre next week and then to San Francisco's Orpheum.

The blend of Chinese and Western influences is no accident either. Hyperbolically billed as "the greatest Chinese performing arts spectacle ever to tour North America," "Terracotta" is meant to be a new theatrical form its creator, Dennis K. Law, calls "action-musical." The idea, in brief, is to combine the more acrobatic elements of Chinese opera and other genres, as well as Chinese dance, design, stories and instruments, with some Broadway pizzazz, European tonalities and other Western influences.

The result, in "Terracotta," is an eye-popping array of sumptuous costumes, bursts of sharply executed acrobatic and martial arts activity and what looks like a very capable ensemble trapped in an ineptly conceived, frenetically plodding show. Yes, I know that sounds like an oxymoron. Law, a retired surgeon from Denver turned Beijing impresario, doesn't seem to realize that a package of two dozen very short, action-packed scenes is a recipe for audience attention deficit disorder.

Written, produced and directed by Law, "Terracotta" is the story of China's first emperor, Qin Shi Huang, from the beginning of his reign through key historic episodes (such as building the Great Wall) to his burial with the huge army of terra-cotta warriors that protects his tomb. There's no dialogue. The story is told through more or less illustrative movement scenes, preceded by Supertitle synopses. Various members of Law's very large company alternate in all the principal roles.

There's a love interest, of course -- the tragic (but triumphant after death) tale of Emperor Qin's favorite concubine, Meng Ying (a lovely, sensuously flexible Zhao Shan, Tuesday), and her enslaved true love, Yang Ming (a smoldering, athletic Chen Li). Their story plays out in balletic duets, complete with dancing "water sleeves" (Zhang Jian Ming's and Jonathan Feng Han's choreography blending Chinese and Western moves to beguiling effect), accompanied by arias sung by a nearby soprano. The badly over-miked songs are fairly pedestrian, but soprano Zou Hui (Tuesday's vocalist) sells them with great focus and lovely, full tones.

There's attempted comic relief as well. Zhao Gao (Tian Ye, whose impressive acrobatic talents are underemployed until the curtain call), the emperor's eunuch, smirks and minces about to occasional comic effect. Liu Nanxi, as the Queen Mother, and Li Xin (a soldier) execute a very funny, acrobatic copulation dance.

The carved wooden screens and painted backdrops (palaces, the Great Wall, a sandy desert) of Tu Ju Hua's sets are impressive. Most of Mo Xiao Min's imperial, warrior and concubine costumes are gloriously ornate. The bursts of acrobatics and martial arts ("action choreography" by Fan Dong Yu and Liang Huiling) are expertly performed, if tiresomely repetitive. Consummate percussionist Jin Tao provides dynamic live accompaniment.

Unfortunately, Jin's contributions are often subsumed in the banal waves of Hao Wei Ya's recorded score, which, to my ears, sounds like a synthesis of bad Hollywood and Soviet film music, with occasional lyrical relief. Though Sun Wen Long cuts a commanding figure as the emperor, and moves with astonishing definition in his energetic dance scenes, he has to spend too much time looking melodramatic in Law's flat, inchoate stagings.

At least the lovers Meng Ying and Yang Ming are as made for each other as, well ... yin and yang. Zhao's anguished solo over the corpse of her lover, her impossibly long sleeves cutting dramatic patterns through space, is one of too few riveting moments in the show. So, counterintuitively, is the explosively acrobatic curtain call. But it's too little too late. "Terracotta" has long since revealed its feet of clay.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

USC isn't near SF but...

I got this forwarded from Justin Guariglia (see top post on this page). I debated posting this one on the K-Star thread because I think Peter Shiao was the same person I interviewed regarding K-Star (although he gave his name as Peter Hsiao).

Shaolin Temple and the 21st Century
    Sponsored by USC East Asian Studies Center, U.S.-China Institute, USC Center for Religion and Civic Culture

Monday, November 20, 2006 : 12:00pm to 1:30pm

University Park Campus
    Trousdale Parkway
    Tommy Trojan

Free

Filmmaker Peter Shiao, U.S. liaison to the Shaolin Temple, speaks and gives a martial arts demonstration.
    Shaolin Temple occupies a unique place in Buddhist history. It is known as the place in which the Indian monk Bodhidharma developed Chan teachings ("Zen" in Japanese, "Son" in Korean) in the 6th century. At Shaolin, martial arts training was incorporated into meditative practice. Many of its adherents became well known for their martial arts prowess. This martial arts tradition helped to make the temple famous beyond Buddhist circles.

The event will include a short presentation by Peter Shiao, the Temple's U.S. liaison, on the challenges of bringing the temple and its teachings to 21st-century audiences. After the presentation and a question and answer session, there will be a martial arts demonstration.

Shiao is a film producer and founder of Celestial Entertainment, a Los Angeles-based film production company. His credits include the Lion's Gate television show TheImmortals and the US/China film co-production Restless.
    easc@usc.edu
    (213) 740-2991
    There's a pdf flyer available if you go to the USC website.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

OK, so this is a seminar, not strictly a demo...

...but it's my master, so there you go.

Shaolin Small Hong Fist by Shaolin Warrior Monk Shi Decheng
    3rd Annual Shi Decheng Shaolin Seminar
    February 10th, 2007 1:00-3:00 Milpitas, CA

Small Hong Fist is one of the most popular forms practiced at Shaolin Temple today. Known in Chinese as xiaohongquan, this is a root form known by all Shaolin practitioners. If you’re new to Shaolin Kung Fu, Small Hong Fist is the first step towards mastery. If you’re already familiar with Small Hong Fist, this is an excellent opportunity to refine your skills with direct coaching from Master Shi Decheng. Following the seminar, Shi Decheng will be available for returning students to review of any previously learned Shaolin material. Note: All seminars will be taught in Mandarin with English translation.

Tuition: $45 per person.
    For more information and to reserve your place, contact Gene Ching at 510-656-5100 X137 or Gene@KungFuMagazine.com.

Location: USA O-Mei Kung Fu Academy, 451 Los Coches St, Milpitas, CA 95035 408-719-9288

In cooperation with www.russbo.com, www.usaomei.com, www.sdcshaolin-kungfu.com, www.TigerClawFoundation.org & www.KungFuMagazine.com.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

American Shaolin by Matt Polly Book Tour

The Friends of Shaolin committee of the Tiger Claw Foundation is supporting the book tour of author Matt Polly for his new work, American Shaolin. The Tiger Claw Foundation will be at Matt’s two California appearances:

March 4 (Sunday) 4:00 p.m. Book Passage, 51 Tamal Vista Blvd., Corte Madera, CA

March 5 (Monday) 7:00 p.m. Cody's Books, 2 Stockton Street, San Francisco, CA

I'll be there with Shi Yanfei, who will give a short traditional kung fu demonstration as part of Matt's book signing/reading. Hope to see you there.

For more information, go to Matt’s website for his touring schedule. In cooperation with www.MattPolly.com, www.USAOMei.com and www.KungFuMagazine.com.

There is also a Shaolin Show coming to San Jose on March 23rd. I'll have more on that soon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips