Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Shows in SF Bay Area

The Shaolin Zen Concert 5/9/9 California Theater, San Jose

This is coming from the Shaolin Cultural Center in Fremont, Shi Yanran's group again. It's the Firebird Youth Chinese Orchestra, who also performed for Magnificent Shaolin, which was the San Jose performance during the Shaolin Temple Day 2009 festivities. I thought FYCO's performance of General's Mandate (or as they say 'General's Command') was the highlight of that show.

Firebird Youth Chinese Orchestra (FYCO)
    In Collaboration with the Shaolin Kung Fu Monks of
    Shaolin Temple USA (www.ShaolinUSA.us)

Shaolin Zen Concert
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 • 2:30 PM
    California Theatre 345 S. 1st St., San Jose, CA 95113

Program Highlights

Buddhist Music Incense Praise*

Ruan (4-stringed guitar) Ensemble
    Tipsy* (World Premiere)

Sheng (mouth organ) Ensemble
    Shaolin Temple of Songshan (World Premiere)

Chinese Orchestra
    The General’s Command*
    Peking Opera On the Docks Prelude
    (US Premiere)

* In performance with Shaolin Kung Fu Monks

Tickets: $25, 50, 75 and $100 (VIP)
    Box Office: Symphony Silicon Valley
    467 S. 1st St., San Jose, CA 95113
    408-286-2600 x23
    Online: www.ticketmaster.com

FYCO is a nonprofit organization.
    Donations to FYCO are tax-deductible as allowed by law.

For more info about FYCO:
    www.fyco.org
    408-253-5998
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene,

Are you aware of any shows coming up in June in the Bay Area?
    Unfortunately I won't be back in Cali til then, thanks for the info.
    It should be an awesome show!

There's our tournament in June

I've just confirmed that we will have two stages for demos. We had four Shaolin demo teams at Martial Arts Benefit for Quake Victims. Since that was a benefit for the Sichuan Quake, we had a lot more mainlanders volunteer, but I'll daresay we'll have some Shaolin representatives at our upcoming event.

See Tiger Claw’s KungFuMagazine.com Championship & Shark City Nationals and be there on June 27th, 2009, at the San Jose McEnery Convention Center in San Jose, California.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sweet! Ill be in the bay area around that time ill have to make a trip to S.J. sounds like its an awesome lineup! Can't wait.

Tiger Claw’s KungFuMagazine.com Championship

Among the many demonstrations we have scheduled for our Tiger Claw’s KungFuMagazine.com Championship, we will indeed have a Shaolin contingent to represent. Demonstrations from Pure Shaolin Kung Fu, Shaolin Kung Fu Chan and Ben's Shaolin are all confirmed to be showcased during the day. One of these Shaolin troupes will be featured in the Night Time Finals Show.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A surprise Shaolin monk

I hear Shi Deshan is here now. Apparently he came out to meet with Wu Bin. I'm not sure if Deshan will be at our event, but Gigi met with him last night. We'll see.

See all you S.F. Bay Area locals this Saturday. I hope some of the local Shaolin contingent compete too. Spectator fees are $15.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Deshan is already gone home

He just had some 'business' and that's done. He didn't even know there was a tournament.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Check out our webcast

There's a sampling of the Shaolin demos that were at Tiger Claw's KungFuMagazine.com Championship.

Ben's Shaolin Kung Fu brought in a FOB troupe of wuseng in, and they gave a nice demo on our afternoon stage. You can see some of it in the Shaolin Chan Demonstration segment and a little more in the Kung Fu Demonstrations segment.

Pure Shaolin Kung Fu also did a demo on our afternoon stage. I didn't see it really. I had to deal with some tournament issues.

Shaolin Kung Fu Chan did a demo during the night time finals.

All the demos - Shaolin, wushu, traditional and even karate - will be our Deluxe-edition DVD of Tiger Claw's KungFuMagazine.com Championship, which we will release in about three months. We will also be including an exclusive DVD insert in our Nov/Dec issue with highlights of the event. This will only be available at select retail outlets. It will be free to subscribers, so subscribe now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

any events around July 24 or 25?

I'll be in the area next weekend. I'll like to check out any martial arts events if possible. Thanks for any info.

Just got this press release from Shaolin Temple USA

I love Moon Festival.
    The masters are also invited to demonstrate their prowess at the Autumn Moon Festival Celebration held at the Chinese Culture Center of San Francisco, starting at 6:00 pm on Saturday, 9/19. The Chinese Culture Center of San Francisco is located at 750 Kearny St., 3rd Fl.

Call 1 888 960 53 88 for ticket purchase and visit http://www.worldchannelus.com/for further information.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Just got this press release from Shaolin Temple USA here in Fremont

We are off to a very busy start for the new year! Mark your calendar for the following future performances. Further details will follow. As always, we look forward to your participation and support.

3 p.m., Saturday, January, 9, 2010, Stanford vs UCLA Men's Basketball Game, Half-time performance, Stanford University

5 p.m. - 9 p.m., Thursday, February, 11, 2010, Year of the Tiger New Year Celebration/Shanghai Exhibition Kickoff, Asian Art Museum

5 p.m. - 8 p.m., Saturday, February, 27, 2010, Chinese New Year Parade from Downtown to Chinatown, San Francisco.
    And more on the Stanford game:
    Halftime Performance by the Shaolin Monks
    Stanford vs. UCLA Basketball Game

Maples Pavilion on the Stanford University Campus (http://ucomm.stanford.edu/map/)

Saturday, January 9, 2010, at 3:00 p.m.

Parking at Galvez Field, on the corner of Galvez and Campus Drive East

Iindividual tickets for the game just went on sale this week. To purchase tickets, go to: http://ev10.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncomm...ller=&appCode=

Please note:

1. Tickets cost $42 and are in the upper sections only. (The masters will probably be seated in the first two rows of section 7).

2. The performance time is very short, only 6 minutes (halftime is only 15 minutes total).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on the Stanford demo

Again from Shaolin Temple Fremont

Be advised that according to Stanford's website, http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-b...skbl-body.html, the game will be covered by CSN Bay Area (Comcast SportsNet Bay Area), the regional sports network that serves cable outlets throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.

Also per the site, Gametracker on the internet at http://www.gostanford.com/gametracke...&startschool=&

"will begin after tipoff".

It is channel 720 on Comcast.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More from Shi Yanran

Matcha is a weekly happening at the San Francisco Asian Art Museum.

5-9 pm | $10 Admission

MATCHA isn't just a mixer—it's what makes your visit to the Asian Art Museum downright exhilarating. Experience mesmerizing performances, create your own art, embark on gallery tours, see the latest special exhibition, sit in on a talk, mingle with friends over ****tails, enjoy what the DJ is spinning, and much, much more.

Each MATCHA event has its own unique flavor and vibe. Check out the schedule below, and don't forget to mark your calendars!
    February 18: Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger2010 is the Year of the Tiger! MATCHA kicks off the Chinese Lunar New Year, and our special exhibition Shanghai, with riveting tiger-style kung fu (martial art) demonstrated by monks from the Shaolin Temple USA in San Francisco. Both Shaolin kung fu and Chan (Zen) Buddhism originated from the 1,500-year old Songshan Shaolin Temple in central China. Each mode of Shaolin kung fu is associated with an animal, and in Chinese culture, the tiger is king and symbolizes bravery. Its kung fu style involves footwork, acrobatic kicks, and unique fist positions, relying solely on internal power, simplicity, and explosive force.

The evening also includes art activities, Shanghai dumplings available in the museum cafe, cash bar specials, DJ music, and docent conversations on Lunar New Year, Chan Buddhism, and the Shanghai exhibition.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shi Yanran and the S.F. CNY parade

I caught some of the delayed broadcast of the S.F. CNY parade on Ch 36. I was surfing between Winter Olympics commercials. I saw Shi Yanran's group right behind the Miss Chinatown float, and then they broke to commercial. Kim Yun-Na was up next for her Gala skate, so I didn't go back to see Yanran's group. I did catch Tat Mau Wong's group and Yau Kung Moon's group.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Footage of the MATCHA demo of Shi Yanran's school

MATCHA Shaolin Temple USA monks

That room is really tight in the Asian Art. I've seen demos there before (the last one was a mochi pounding ceremony for New Years) and it's always standing room only.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips