Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Realistic Training

Realistic Training

Several times over the past couple of weeks I've check out a yahoo martial arts chatroom. I have been very suprised at what I have been reading there. It is full of people who are traditional martial artists. I'm not saying that is bad in and of itself. When they ask me what I train, I just say MMA/ NHB. Usually they ask what that is, and I have to explain it to them. I explain that I crosstrain in several martial styles, but instead of being loyal to a certain style, person, or system, I really only care about what really works in all ranges of combat against a fully resisting opponent. I tell them that I test this by fighting in my training, and competing and NHB events. Most of them havent heard of NHB, so I say it's like the Ultimate Fighting Championship they have seen on TV.

I would imagine that this is a simple idea that wouldnt involve much debate. The idea that you have to fight in your training to actually be able to fight well. Well, I run into great disagreement. There must have been at least a dozen "Martial Artists" tell me that NHB is not realistic, so they dont do it. They say their techniques are too deadly for a competition or to even train them against resistance. I've heard things such as "against a groundfighter I would just bite him and rip his nuts off". I told them that by merely ellimating a few things, like biting, eyegouging, and attacking the groin, we are able to still realistically test what really works in all ranges of combat. I have been preached to about the benifits of forms, katas, and not doing any sparring until you are "4th dan".

I have learned something from them though. Not everyone is into the martial arts to learn how to realistically fight in all ranges of combat. I have had to accept that. Judging by the people in that chat room that I've been in, most of them have never even thought about fighting in all ranges of combat. They are into chi, and claim they have very deadly techniques that they cant practice. I've asked them what they would do if someone was sitting on their chest, and I've heard things such as "I'd just knock them out before they got me there". Well, what could I say to such wisdom?

I tried to explain the idea of training with submissions and tapping out; but I ran into more interesting responces. They said they dont tap out in training. Their techniques dont allow for it... they just break stuff immediatly. I asked how they were able to train that way, and they said through katas. Just so you know, must of them were into TKD, kung fu, and lots of different Chinese sounding arts.
    I'm really not trying to put down any traditional martial arts. I truly believe that every martial art has some positive things to offer. However I also believe that no individual style or system is completely well rounded in all ranges of combat; thus the need to crosstrain. It seems to me that a person is going to be relatively tough and competent in all ranges of combat if they simply train realistically, even if they havent had any instruction in it. Take 2 brothers that grew up fist fighting each other in their backyard on a regular basis. They are gonna be some tough dudes, I dont care if they never officially studied martial arts in some school. One interpretation of "Martial" is "Combat", and they have been combating each other regurly. The same can be applied to someone that has studied a traditional martial style. If they have gone beyond those techniques and actually done a lot of actual fighting, then they are still going to be a pretty competent fighter.

Sorry for the long-windedness, but here's my point. It seems like the great divide between traditional martial artists that study one style or system of combat, and Mixed Martial Artists, is that typically the traditionalists do not engage in realistic training. They dont actually fight each other in their training. They dont kickbox, strike from the clinch, throw/ takedown, and go to submissions against a training partner that is trying to do the exact same thing. They dont ever get bruised or bloody in their training. They also seem to take great offence to this idea being somehow better at preparing them for combat.

Do you think that you may have slightly overgeneralized your point?

It would be like me saying that all MMA fighters have ADD because they can't focus or commit to one art. Or all MMA fighters are gay because they like to roll around on the ground with one another.

You need to consider the mind set and motivation of different people.
    I would guess that a MMA fighter is someone who considers themselves to be a good fighter and wants to test their skills against other fighters. To do this they fight a lot and train in several different disciplines to improve their skill sets. Jack of all trades sort of thing.

A traditional martial artist (whatever that is), may have several reasons for taking up a martial art and only one of those things is to become a better fighter. For example, some people might just want to get in shape or become more flexible. Some people might have an interest in far east philosophy, part of which is making your body strong and learning to fight. Some people may just like Kung Fu movies and want to learn how to do that stuff. Some people maybe like learning all the forms and then seeing how they can extract that information and applying it in a combat situation.

I find it bizare that you would come to a Kung Fu disscussion board, overgeneralize on what you think "tradional martial arts" are and then talk about how "realistic" you think your style of fighting is. The truth is, you have a completely different mind set then most of the people here. So why don't you go to some MMA discussion board and impress everyone with your wisdom there.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Also, I think if you're going to bash people on another chat room or forum you should at least post a link Just because something is "Chinese sounding" doesn't make it a traditional martial art... and generalizing is kind of dumb. Should all the people who practice Liu Yun Qiao's baji style be attacked because someone from Freds school of magic duck kungfu is talking out of his @ss? China has produced hundreds of different systems of training, some as different as jujitsu and tae kwon do. Some arts were derived from military, some from farmers, some from cult leaders, etc. Waaaaaay too much diversity to be lumping everyone in together.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Also, I think if you're going to bash people on another chat room or forum you should at least post a link Just because something is "Chinese sounding" doesn't make it a traditional martial art... and generalizing is kind of dumb. Should all the people who practice Liu Yun Qiao's baji style be attacked because someone from Freds school of magic duck kungfu is talking out of his @ss? China has produced hundreds of different systems of training, some as different as jujitsu and tae kwon do. Some arts were derived from military, some from farmers, some from cult leaders, etc. Waaaaaay too much diversity to be lumping everyone in together.
    Jist my opinion

Absolutely agree, Xindu. If you are learning an art to fight: then at some point you must fight.

this guy copy and pasted this post from a mma.tv thread with exactly the same writing, or the guy on mma.tc did, or its the same guy but what is he doing on a wing chun forum?

You can't be good at fighting if you don't fight. And you aren't a good fighter when you fight full the first time. Maybe after much pain you are going to be good at fighting. But you have to do it, if you don't you aren't in my opinion a Martial Artist, you are a dancer.

training in one style doesnt define a traditional martial artist. A guy who trains a bunch of kung fu styles or a mix of a bunch of styles can still be considered a tma. tma are basically all ortiental styles beside muay thai, someone who only trains in oriental styles be it mroe than one is still a tma. Only sport styles are condiered mma, and plenty of people train in only one sport art rather than all, only a small number of people that train in these styles train for mma.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaegen
    You can't be good at fighting if you don't fight. And you aren't a good fighter when you fight full the first time. Maybe after much pain you are going to be good at fighting. But you have to do it, if you don't you aren't in my opinion a Martial Artist, you are a dancer.
    actually you dont have to fight to be good at fighting. there are plenty of natural born kilelrs on this planet who never fight but once they do (if they are ****ed off enough) they always win.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ReignOfTerror
    actually you dont have to fight to be good at fighting. there are plenty of natural born kilelrs on this planet who never fight but once they do (if they are ****ed off enough) they always win.
    I had to sit back and think on this and you are right there are people out there that have probaly only fought once and awhile and are killers, hit men, nut jobs,
    serial killers ect..... If someone truly wants to get to you they can if they know what they are doing you are history, nobody is unstoppable, I `think alot of martial artist watch too many movies. My opinion when it comes to training if you don,t fight against someone who does fight during training I put my money on the true fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by XINDU
    I had to sit back and think on this and you are right there are people out there that have probaly only fought once and awhile and are killers, hit men, nut jobs,
    serial killers ect..... If someone truly wants to get to you they can if they know what they are doing you are history, nobody is unstoppable, I `think alot of martial artist watch too many movies. My opinion when it comes to training if you don,t fight against someone who does fight during training I put my money on the true fighter.
    but some people are truly determined and agressive and have increidble strengh + size so even if you train that way yous till could lose to someone like that. Hell their pure agression and violence could make you freeze.

Ha! those types! Give them a piece of candy, and a pinch on the cheek! Problem solved.

Ofcourse there are persons who have it just in them to fight, natural born killers like you like to say it...

BUT this has to be an extra motivation to train. It's not because there are better, stronger persons in the world that "you" don't have to train and be so good as you can.

This is what they call "motivation"

Quote Originally Posted by ReignOfTerror
    but some people are truly determined and agressive and have increidble strengh + size so even if you train that way yous till could lose to someone like that. Hell their pure agression and violence could make you freeze.
    how true during the toughman contest the people who won most of the fights were street brawlers they beat most of the trained martial artist with ease. cause most MA's never took a real hard hit.

tank abbot is such an example in the early part of his career. shure he had boxing experience from back in the day but most likely he forgot it and never was much at it so he basically fought like a regular untrained person, and he could hit like a brick and knock most people out, whether trained or untrained. Look at kimbo for instance.