Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter

harry potter (didn't capitalize because his name doesn't diserve that respect) is a total and utter jive.

Finally! A place on the forum where we can talk about Harry Potter!!

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

Not a magician, a wizard

Good mention. Not a citizen of the United States, the President of the United States. A wizard is a class or sub category of one who uses Magic. A wizrad does not do wiz they too do magic. They do it way better than perhaps a lower level magic user.

Not do magic but is magical, good thinking halfling.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Well, I can tell you why the books are so popular here in England.

For a start, they are intelligently written, but done so from a childs perspective, without the need to condescend or patronize.

But the main reason for the popularity, in my opinion, is largely independent of the magic and wizardry aspects.

At the end of the day, they are school stories. True, a different type of school from the one the average kid will attend, but still recognizable.

They are not so very different from the Enid Blyton school stories from the 30s/40s, which are still popular today. They also deal with boarding schools, friends, favourite/hated teachers, and other things which kids can relate to.

Those books hark back to a more innocent time, when drugs and violence, teenage pregnancy, hell, even sex before marriage were not part of the popular conciousness, and didn't exist in the popular writing of the time.

I suspect a large proportion of adults enjoy them for the same reason they enjoyed the Blyton era books.
    Your lineage may vary.

you know I usually hear that intelligently written comment in reference to the harry potter books and nobody until now has really clarified what intelligently written means or get into the psychology of what it is people are looking for, and why this satisfies that need.

I mean the Stand by King was intelligently written and I remember X-Men comics being intelligently written back in the day when I was a teen reading that stuff , Yeah both King and Marvels X-men have thier fans but this Harry Potter stuff not only does it sell well and have the merchandice thing going as well, but this insane contraversy about it being devil worship.

mmnkay. I never heard anyone create such a havok about comics which involve fantasy before. never heard anyone say" boy that jean grey or boy that wolverine is the devil !"
    who knows maybe they have.

but what about mickey mouse in fantasia he was a wizard in that. and there was magic in cinderella and sleeping beauty how come nobody lashes out against these stories. or quotes bible passages that denounce these fairy (faerie) tales?

http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/an...interface.html

they do.

hell, the wizard of oz gets reamed for its portrayal of witchcraft and even drug use. (they fall asleep in a field of poppies, as in opium.)

ridiculous, but it happens.

stuart b.

heh i enjoyed it Loved it, of course LOTR is a "real" fantasy movie but this is a pretty good movie too, i really enjoyed it.
    Free thinkers are dangerous!

yeah youre right still...

but I thought that was just Alice in Wonderland (with the falling asleep in Poppy Fields) and the whole story was supposed to be one big lsd trip. Its quite possible it was in Wizard of OZ as well but I dont remember that part.
    But hey people just need a scape goat to blame for the worlds problems beit rap music, or pegan folklore.

King did say in his book On Writing that he has been accused of being demonic or in leauge with the devil if you will, but I recently got Harry Potter hate mail in my inbox, reasons not to go to the show... Ive never seen this type of thing...

Wait... youre right its been going on all along..
    I remember when Smurfs got banned in the 80s because of this type of thing. Smurfs ...can you believe it. And I remember they tried to do the same thing to pokemon... P1$$es me off because I'm an artist and I hate that Salem witch hunt mentality. we got alotta it back home. Martial Arts is devil worship. Mostly from Pentacostals and Baptists though, Sometimes the Catholics and Anglicans jump on it as well, The Adventists occasionaly gyre and gimble but theyre too busy condemning the other denominations cause they dont worship on saturday, then you got those churches with the long a$$ names like First Church of the Lord of Salvation that died on the Cross Built on a Rock by the Blood of Jesus Church of God, I dont know much about non denominationals but I pretty much figure its the same scenario. Oh and Yoga is Devil Worship too. So is the Lodge, all secret societies are devil worship, and the only book worth reading is the bible. And you got people that listen to this rant.

they banned the smurfs?! good grief. i was no fan, but what the hell?!

yeah, it was wizard of oz. they all fall asleep in a poppy field thanks to a little intervention by the wicked witch (satan's handmaiden).

it's always curious to me how the actions of the main villain in a movie like that can be taken by some people as ADVOCATING anything. i mean, who came out of that movie going, "that witch ROCKED!!"

nobody.

[shrug]

stuart b.

they started calling my harry pothead at work.
    where's my beer?

it might make a little more sense if you knew i have long hair.
    where's my beer?

This gives me the royal sh!ts. People read into things so much today. For fu(ks sake it is a children's story - nothing more, nothing less.

I personally loved the books and thoroughly enjoyed the movie.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    The smurfs were kick ass, i feel sorry for this new generation that never watched the smurfs. BTW, did you know the smurfs were comunists?
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Ug...

I don't get this whole harry potter thing. I had a friend who is nuts about it, and she got me to read the book.

The thing is, its just a kids book. Nothing more. Its not intelligently written in my eyes at all. Its **** straight forward.
    Don't get me wrong, its not bad for what it is. But what it is, is simply a childrens book. And i'd only put it slightly above average at that.

I don't get it at all. Maybe its the marketing. I figure i'll just wait a while for it to slip back like power rangers and pokemon....
    -I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am.

-The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Wow. Its blots out the word d-a-m-n...
    -I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am.

-The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do