Thread: Yip Man

Yip Man

Has anyone ever hear of this story that Yip man never taught the complete system of wing chun to the public and is still most part kept within his family? I heard or read from somewhere (I cant remember where) that there are more forms and techniques of wing chun than the 3 main forms, wooden dummy techniques etc.
    I am wondering maybe Yip Man deliberatly taught false wing chun techniques to cause conflict. Just so his family can still keep the real secrets to themselves. Like smoke and mirrors to deceive the public. I know this sounds like one of those conspiracy theories!
    Last edited by Sihing73; 07-17-2005 at 09:47 PM.

What motivates you

Hello XINDU,

I am curious as to what motivates such a post. Before I edited it you mentioned specific names which seems to serve no purpose but to stir up trouble.

I had the privilege of meeting Yip Chun several years ago and he seemed very open and forthcoming. I also had the opportunity to work out, albiet briefly with Samual Kwok. Neither of them mentioned or alluded to any extra forms or other secrets. For that matter, I can not recall anyone from the Yip Ching or Yip Chun lineage ever implying there were any additional forms to learn which were not shared with the rest of the WC community. Again, none of the research by the Ving Tsun Museum nor by Rene seems to indicate there are more forms which were kept within Yip Man's family. Nor was anything of the like brought up during the first VT Conference in Hong Kong.

I would be curious as to where you might have heard that there may be more forms held only with the Yip family as well as the motivation for such claims. Seems like an attempt to stir up trouble, IMHO.

Peace,

Dave
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Has anyone ever hear of this story
    I've heard all sorts of ridiculous crap about Yip Man and WC from all sorts of people.

"Only a fool listens to the braying of the ass".
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

I hear stuff similaar to that from non-yip man systems, but thats the essence of advertising isn't it? trying to look superior to your competitors?

What are your intentions....

Is this just a ligitimate curiosity ? or something more....
    Will it give you closure if the answer is YES ? Does it mean anything in terms of how your VT works. Do you feel there is something missing for you, which makes you believe there is more ?

Ive heard all the stories just like a majority of people in the VT world. for the most part its just speculation and conjecture from people that never knew him personally.

All and all "your flogging a dead horse".

Yip Man told his students not to take his word for things but to go out and try it for themselves. There is no more complete transmission a teacher can give than this. There will always be stories, but repeatable skill drowns even the most rediculous out.

Quote Originally Posted by reneritchie
    Yip Man told his students not to take his word for things but to go out and try it for themselves. There is no more complete transmission a teacher can give than this. There will always be stories, but repeatable skill drowns even the most rediculous out.
    As his last effort towards the promotion of Wing Tsun Kuen before retiring from teaching he founded, in 1967, the Hong Kong Ving Tsun Athletic Association. In May 1970, when the classes in his gymnasium were firmly established, he decided to retire from teaching to enjoy a quiet life.
    Last edited by Sihing73; 07-19-2005 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XINDU
    As his last effort towards the promotion of Wing Tsun Kuen before retiring from teaching he founded, in 1967, the Hong Kong Ving Tsun Athletic Association. In May 1970, when the classes in his gymnasium were firmly established, he decided to retire from teaching to enjoy a quiet life, having first passed all the affairs of his gymnasium and the teaching to his favorite disciples.

Aha!! We see now what motivates you.
    Last edited by Sihing73; 07-19-2005 at 09:34 AM.

I cant help but to comment on the so called update of the original teachings, to start with the title WT this spelling of Wing Chun came about when Leung Ting came to Europe to teach his art, in Europe WC means Water Closet, the signs that are put on the doors of public restrooms, therfore to not have his art ridiculed Leung Ting swiftly changed the letter from C to T, his method is not a forerunner of his teachings from GM Ip Man but rather his interpretation of Wing Chun and nothing more! To ensure that this art is well respected he therefore made a slight change, and nothing more, there are many names placed in the art, you tell me, do you really think that this method of Wing Chun truly outshines the others, there are many other well respected masters that do not follow this thinking that their way of teaching Wing chun is absolute. Surely Yip Man trained many others prior to his death. Do you see these masters bickering and making false claims? How about the Fatshan period? Do you really think those masters that "are living" I might add are not flourishing and their tireless efforts to continue their growth of Ip Mans teachings have faltered. I can assure you that Wing Chun is alive all over the world and there is not one person that is the heir to the throne......... but many that are continuing the tradition and not opening their mouths for the sake of attempting to convince the world of their Almightiness; Time teaches us that sometimes falsehoods become bigger than the truth, and truthfully there were no many years of personal instruction to Leung Ting; Please dont misconstrue what im saying, but no single interpretation of the lineage of Wing Chun is the best. You cannot hide behind WT, VT, WC in the ring, or on the street or in life.....................anyone that opens a Big Mouth, had better ensure that those that know the truth are not fortccoming, people that make big noise, have small minds, so please lets get past pointless, and senseless claims there is a huge world out here, with plenty of qualified Masters that shun publicity. To name a few, Lok Yiu, Wang kiu, Lo Man Kam, Duncan Leung, etc etc, and you know you never hear big noise from these acknowledged "students" of GM IP MAN!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by XINDU
    but no single interpretation of the lineage of Wing Chun is the best.

I do agree with that!

anyone that opens a Big Mouth, had better ensure that those that know the truth are not fortccoming, people that make big noise, have small minds, so please lets get past pointless, and senseless claims there is a huge world out here, with plenty of qualified Masters that shun publicity.
    For some reason I think of the initial post on this thread, and posts by people like Silent Warrior and MSN13, when I read this. Some empty vessels are certainly making the most noise on the forum of late.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Big Chip dude...

I came to this site because it has the least amount of "mine is better than yours" attitude
    This is like when people come knocking at my door trying to impart thier religious values.....ill tell you what i tell them -
    I doubt there is anyone here that hasnt already been exposed to this subject matter Xindu.

Just take you own advice .
    Liddel
    Lok Yiu Lineage.