I've trained WC for about 1 year. The training is great and I feel like I have learned a lot. My school was very family oriented. We had a sigung who had about 8 students that are now sifu's, all of which I met.

Here's the problem:

I don't like my sifu. I never got to really choose my sifu, he's my sifu because I showed up on a Tues night rather than a Wed night. I just can't seem to respect him or trust him and I really disagree with his business tactics in order to get new students into the school. I had already signed one contract for my yearly tuition then he hands me another contract for "special indoor students" that says I must supply him and sigung financial and physical support all this other mumbo jumbo. My sifu use to lecture us about eating healthy which I listened to and did. My sifu goes to bars at night and gets drunk with his other students, then smokes pot with sigung (who also grows marijuana in his closet. I wanted to be an indoor special student, I even payed part of the payment in order to be one. This is a family I do not want to belong to, but the kungfu is the best in my area and I want the kungfu. I've met the other sifu's, all of which I liked. I respect them and trust them. My sifu and I just never clicked. In some situations I feel like I'm in an unsafe environment. I hate how my sifu teaches. When the other sifus explain something it means so much more and I understand it. Playing Chi Sau with my sifu is just annoying. He thinks I get frustrated because he hits me so much and I don't hit him back. I'm just getting my ass kicked, and I'm getting annoyed because I don't feel like I'm learning anything. None of the other sifus play these stupid games with their students. Why does my sifu have to do this to me? I look up to one student in class, from the first day I stepped in the door I have looked up to him. Why? His determination, he's always there, always before everyone else, his kungfu is amazing, I wished to move like him. All the others? Well msot of the senor students don't even come to class anymore, too hung over from last night. I watch my sifu call them and he gets all of their voicemails. Most of them are just bums and don't even wake up till after 1pm. I understand the importance of family. I love my family, my father, my mother and my sister. I have done things for my sifu that I've never done for my family. Why? WHy? Did I do those things for him? I wanted him to teach me more kungfu. Why did I become a "special indoor student"? Because I wanted the best kungfu. I don't trust my sifu. I think he's done some really stupid things. I can't trust him. I actually feel sorry for him. I would just slip him $20 because I felt sorry for him, not like he did a good job teaching me something. I just don't get it. I couldn't take it anymore...

This is what really got to me: Money.

My sifu and all the other students and I had a meeting. My sifu got up and actually did the math on a board and wrote down how much money we actually owed him if we studied kungfu with him for like 20 years. Guess how much! $257,893,474 (or something like that). Then he went on to say that we are getting a GOOD DEAL for $1400 a year ($115 a month) which does not include ANY other expenses. Then came the business perspective of it all. Kungfu, a business? How are we going to get new students in the door? It was funny I attended an Asian festival right down the street from our school. They had Aikido, Muay Thai, Wing Chun, wushu and BJJ demonstrations. But what really boggled me was- WHY WERNT WE THERE? The wingchun guy at the festival has only been in our town for 3 years and he's already in the festival. Guess how long my WC school has been in the area. 20+ years. Is our kungfu too powerful for the general public? Whats the deal? Are we too lazy? We don't have an asian representative?? So my sifu thought of a way of getting new students. Boxes. We leave a box in restuarants, libraries anywhere, everywhere. There were about 20. On the boxes it reads - "Free Kungfu Lesson, Enter to Win!" But we called EVERYONE. Everyone was a winner. So when 2 friends joking around entered the contest, they both received a call saying that they both won. Congradulations!!! - What the hell is this? I think this is the lamest advertisiing (sifu said it was NOT advertising) (It is ****ing advertising I'm a Business major.) And Guess what. It was our job to do this collect and call people. Beg people, call and harass people to come in for their free kungfu lessons. We students. If we wanted new students, we had to get them ourselves. What the hell?

So anyways...I couldn't take it so I left about 2 months ago. My sifu calls my phone every couple of days asking where I am and if I'm ok (funny how my annual tuition was due), but he said not to worry about money right now. I good I feel better. You are calling me because you want my money. I am not returning your calls because I quit. Take a hint. So he gets his students to call me and email me. Sometimes they call 4 times in a row all saying the same thing. It's harassment. I have ignored every call so far.

Profit. My sifu wanted profit. If I were to study under him for 20 year and open my own school, it would never be my own, it would be his, because he is my teacher. Only problem is, I don't want a profit. I don't want to be a teacher to get a profit. I wouldnt be able to have my sifu boss me around like that and order money just because its the "right thing to do" and he nad his teacher "worked so hard for their kungfu" so now they can smokeup and play video games all day. A bunch of bums. Punks.

I left and I'm at another school right now. A non-profit school.

Discuss.