Thread: Attn: Sihing 73 Re: Your Edit Privileges

Attn: Sihing 73 Re: Your Edit Privileges

Hi there.

I was just reading XINDU's ridiculous "Yip Man hid stuff from people" thread" and was about to simply close it when I noticed that YOU edited his last post.

I commend the fact that you told the forum what you did and why (much better than the simple "last edited by:" thing in every edited thread,) but I was a bit disturbed to see the same thing done to one of XINDU's other posts without any explanation.

It would be nice if, when you censor a post, that you perhaps do the equivalent of "blacklining," ie replace what you took out with a ****** of equal length or a **swear removed** or **name removed by Sihing73** or something like that. That way, it lets the rest of us in the forum know what was changed and reassures us that nothing MORE than that was done to the post.

It is unfortunate that censorship is perceived as a necessity within the Wing Chun forum, and sometimes even the culture. I do understand the need to keep the peace in an environment where two or more camps are claiming to have the only "complete" Wing Chun, but I hope that you and your colleagues will find a way to foster peaceful discussion without resorting to post editing. Maybe make a specific "flame dump" where any and all flame messages are not edited, but simply dumped into the same thread.

There are plenty of ways to do this without editing someone's ideas, even if those ideas are stupid and inflammatory. Plus, the karmic retribution would be oh so clearer if the world was allowed to see the true nature of their posts.

Best of luck in coming up with a solution,
    CSP
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4
    Hi there.

I was just reading XINDU's ridiculous "Yip Man hid stuff from people" thread" and was about to simply close it when I noticed that YOU edited his last post.

I commend the fact that you told the forum what you did and why (much better than the simple "last edited by:" thing in every edited thread,) but I was a bit disturbed to see the same thing done to one of XINDU's other posts without any explanation.

It would be nice if, when you censor a post, that you perhaps do the equivalent of "blacklining," ie replace what you took out with a ****** of equal length or a **swear removed** or **name removed by Sihing73** or something like that. That way, it lets the rest of us in the forum know what was changed and reassures us that nothing MORE than that was done to the post.

It is unfortunate that censorship is perceived as a necessity within the Wing Chun forum, and sometimes even the culture. I do understand the need to keep the peace in an environment where two or more camps are claiming to have the only "complete" Wing Chun, but I hope that you and your colleagues will find a way to foster peaceful discussion without resorting to post editing. Maybe make a specific "flame dump" where any and all flame messages are not edited, but simply dumped into the same thread.

There are plenty of ways to do this without editing someone's ideas, even if those ideas are stupid and inflammatory. Plus, the karmic retribution would be oh so clearer if the world was allowed to see the true nature of their posts.

Best of luck in coming up with a solution,
    CSP
    How true , I can understand trying to keep the peace but everyone has their own opinion and being that some of us are men here? just delete the cry babys I am sure there are only one or two.

On the contrary, I applaud Sihing 73's approach. Too often in the past entire threads were deleted because of the irresponsible words of just a few people.

So editing a specific post makes the most sense.

And as for the idea that no editing (or deleting) should ever occur...LOL.

There are too many trolls and troublemakers around here who do nothing but attack other people and lineages - and all too often it's motivated by shameful motives.

Keep up the good work, 73.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 07-19-2005 at 12:11 PM.

Can't please everyone

Hello,

The simple fact is that no matter what approach is taken not everyone will be happy. It is almost a given that at least, if not others, the person whose post or thread was edited will have issues with the action. It is unreasonable to expect an explanation for each and every action of editing done on this or any other board. I, and other moderators, simply do not always have the time to explain everything we do, nor, IMHO, should we have to.

I believe that I made my position quite clear when I resumed moderating this board. I provided everyone the opportunity to contact me directly to discuss any actions I take. Thus far, I have usually PM'd the individual I consider editing in advance and given them a chance to reply. So far, no one I contacted has resplied or taken advantage of replying to my PM's. In fairness one person did ask what happened to their post and I replied to them and that was that.

ANYONE who has an issue with how I am doing the moderation is welcome to contact me and we can discuss the matter. Should that prove unsatisfactory then there is always the option of contacting Gene directly.

I will try to make my thoughts on this as clear as possible:

1) This is a public message board for the purpose of discussing Wing Chun. It is not for airing one anothers dirty laundry nor for attacking individuals or lineages!

2) Anyone not conforming to the rules of this board will have their posts edited or deleted, sometimes without explanation. Should that person persists in continuing negative attacks they will face being banned from posting at all on this board!

3) I will do my best to be fair. However, I am human and can make mistakes. Each person is welcome to contact me directly to discuss any action which I take. We may not agree and in that case the person is welcome to contact Gene and discuss the matter with him.

4) Anyone is welcome to report posts or contact myself or Sandman with any concerns regarding content or actions on this board.

I do not know how to make my thoughts any clearer. If you do not respond or take advantage of the option of discussing things with myself or Sandman, then IMHO you really do not have a leg to stand on regarding complaints.

One final thing, while I have no problem discussing things in public, this is also not the place for us to discuss whether or not you like how I did something. That can be done by email or PM'ing. This board is for discussion of the art and as such should have a minimum of personal conversations. There is no need ot subject everyone else to what should be a private discussion.

Peace,

Dave
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun
    On the contrary, I applaud Sihing 73's approach. Too often in the past entire threads were deleted because of the irresponsible words of just a few people.

So editing a specific post makes the most sense.

And as for the idea that no editing (or deleting) should ever occur...LOL.

There are too many trolls and troublemakers around here who do nothing but attack other people and lineages - and all too often it's motivated by shameful motives.

Keep up the good work, 73.
    Yea I can remember when you were edited and you threw a fit and said "I AM NEVER COMIN BACK ON HERE AGAIN" what happened

Quote Originally Posted by XINDU
    Yea I can remember when you were edited and you threw a fit and said "I AM NEVER COMIN BACK ON HERE AGAIN" what happened

***It's very interesting that you "remember" that, XINDU...

since your profile says that you just joined the forum on 7/4/05...(just 2 weeks ago)...because my remarks about being edited was on a thread that was done 2 YEARS AGO!!!

Hey XINDU, say hello to Samson....

and Samson, say hello to Crusher...

and Crusher, say hello to....

Dave Mead.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 07-19-2005 at 01:59 PM.

I think if you're prepared for the fairly thankless job of moderator, you should be able to do it your way and not have to explain your decision to every nobody on this forum. This is a voluntary position, and you're not accountable to anyone but your conscience.

Xiao3, I guess if you think things can be improved, you could volunteer to moderate yourself ...
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich
    I think if you're prepared for the fairly thankless job of moderator, you should be able to do it your way and not have to explain your decision to every nobody on this forum. This is a voluntary position, and you're not accountable to anyone but your conscience.

Xiao3, I guess if you think things can be improved, you could volunteer to moderate yourself ...
    I vote for Victor!

Time to move on

Hello,

While I can appreciate both sides of this issue I do not think the forum needs to be bothered with an ongoing discussion of my moderating skills, or lack of them. I am sure you can better spend your time discussing the art and not me, although I am flattered Besides there is the danger of this degenerating even further into more name calling.

So with that in mind I am going to close this thread. For those so inclined please feel free to trash talk on that other forum.........

Peace,

Dave
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space