Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First 'real' BJJ class today

First 'real' BJJ class today

Oh man am I out of shape. I'm not used to getting tooled so easily, but sans any 'dirty' tricks I've used on friends in free sparring, it was a pretty big gap in my game. And one of those guys beat me so soundly on the ground, it WAS F@CKING GENTLE!! He could of been giving me a massage for all the effort he exerted. GRRR!

There's a good gym a mile from my new house, so I figured what the hell it will help me get in shape, and i can't have WD or Fred Sanford getting so much better than me on the ground that they gives me a hard time

I gotta tell you, the atmosphere is so much better than most 'traditional' schools. Good sportsmanship, friendly atmosphere, and the biggest, baddest, most experienced student in the class was an excellent training partner - no ego-boo, no nonsense, just enough good training and good attitude.

I got pegged as a ringer pretty quick, but i've gotten out of shape due to work demands, and I don't realy know any BJJ, so it becomes 'fun' for these guys when I do something unusual. None of that 'ooh, that's no good because it's different.' Just, 'try that again, I want to stop that.' - Which they did

It's really fun to be so completely out of my element!
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Sounds like a good time. Do you think the outcome would have been different if you had been in better shape?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

but i've gotten out of shape due to work demands,
    BS! You got out of shape from too many burgers and doughnuts!

Glad to hear that you've found a good place to train with good people.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Against about half the class - yes. I lost wind as soon as I had a good 'leak'

Against 'Animal' - nfw - he's as good on the ground as the best I've fought standing up. I just don't have the ground game (yet) to be anything but a toy for that guy.

I'd bet about half the class will still be able o kick my @ss starting on the ground for the forseeable future.

Which is what makes this really fun. Reminds me of the Shuai Chiao heyday, when it was about the practice, and everyone getting better, rather than any other nonsense.

It is liberating to be an abject beginner.
    --- Napoleon

"You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Quote Originally Posted by rogue
    Glad to hear that you've found a good place to train with good people.
    Seconded. If everyone trained at a good place with good people, there'd probably be less arguing about martial arts on message boards.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

burgers and beer. i'm a shuai chiao man. doughnts are for the weak.
    --- Napoleon

welcome to the dark side MST!

Isn't it amazing how the theory of positional hierarchy allows you to use so LITTLE strength and effort to remain in a situation that keeps you from harm?

There are never words to explain it to TMA people, it's just something that has to be felt.

don;t worry about the shape.. I've seen guys in great condition start gasping after 5 minutes because they were using energy at all the wrong times. training will bring you back in..
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

Yeah, these guys were very helpful in that regard - giving me pointers in regards to position and energy use. Alas, I found myself compensating with sheer will and aggression when I didn't know 'where' I was - and of course gassed. It didn't help that I resorted to remembered Judo ne-waza from 20 years ago, and the position I was going for doesn't really offer a submission, just a pin - DOH!

At least I can feel better during the knife sparring, cause I'm gonna s@ck for awhile on the ground!
    --- Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by FatherDog
    Seconded. If everyone trained at a good place with good people, there'd probably be less arguing about martial arts on message boards.
    Would not!
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Hey man, I heard you were back in town. Right on.

Did you get armbarred from the guard? Thats always a nice intro to BJJ ( I know i'll apply my rapists choke - after all what can he do from underneath me).

BTW your experience sounds pretty typical. Whats amazing is how after 6 mths youll be doing the same to new people who come in the door.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

I'm laying low until I'm fully rehabilitated (knee, chest injuries), and get some condition. This MMA school fit the bill nicely to help push me, and i find I really LIKE the BJJ, it's fun. So there you go.

I'll probably show up for some kettle and club swinging before too long..
    --- Napoleon

enjoy, and keep us posted.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

My take on bjj( for what it's worth). The class I'm in is small, but everyone there is awesome in attitude and helpful too. Whenever you get a group of people together there is always some *****. Well I have not met one yet so I have started to wonder about it being me now .
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

I'm jealous. I remember when I used to train before I had to move for work
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.