Thread: Suggestions to sifu?

Suggestions to sifu?

I was talking with my sifu the other day and he was saying he doesn't really do much sparring....any ideas on how I could suggest the importance of sparring with decent contact?? I really enjoy his teaching, but I need realistic sparring for my training to be at all applicable in a self defense situation....

Hi,

Just tell him what yuore feeling, or maybe hook up with some of the guys in youre class who feel the same, and have a mess around outside of class.

Sparring doesnt need to be killing each other, the value is that it widens the scope from chi sau - which is by no means realistic.

Stu
    Ip Ching Ving Tsun in South Wales - www.swanseavingtsun.com

I can realate just tell him, most times if there is no sparring it is because the sifu did not spar much when he was learning, or he is scared.

Apart from the sparring is he a good teacher?? You have to ask do you want a teacher who spars, or one who can effectively convey the wing chun system to you?

Ideally both.

Stu
    Ip Ching Ving Tsun in South Wales - www.swanseavingtsun.com

If he turns down your suggestion you could always spar outside of class using the stuff you learned there.

I can realate just tell him, most times if there is no sparring it is because the sifu did not spar much when he was learning, or he is scared.
    These are not the only two possibilities. An instructor I know had an extensive and successful career in amateur and pro kickboxing. He doesn't spar much any more because cumulative injuries have left him liable to brain damage and possible blindness were he to keep it up. He can still handle most people easily.

Don't jump to conclusions about the motivations of those you've never met.

Testosterone-fuelled aggro works while you're young and heal fast, but it needs to be moderated as you get older if you want to remain healthy into old age.

Muhammad Ali don't spar much anymore, but I hope you're not going to call him a coward.
    Last edited by anerlich; 07-20-2005 at 06:32 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Heh, muhammod ali can barely walk...he's far from a coward. He's dealing with a serious disease and is still happy. Pure guts to me. He's an excellent teacher, right now I'm his only student though, which elminates the option of hooking up with other people from my class. I really enjoy how he conveys the system to me, he really gets on me about ****, nit picking at everything I do until it's perfect, though I know with other students who have been in the class and since left, he's not as worried about perfection. He really understands how far to push people I think... And the issue definitely isn't fear, the guy's good, I've been in martial arts for awhile, and it would be a complete waste of time for me to spar him, as he would simply dominate me, and would mostly be a waste of time. I guess all I can do is wait till we get more students and try to explain it to him.
    I was thinking about showing him this video, when I talked to him about it, but I wasn't sure how he'd take it. Plus I dunno how i'd get it off the computer and onto something I could show him. Explains my concerns PERFECTLY tho.
    http://www.jkd-kbh.dk/sbg2.wmv

it would be a complete waste of time for me to spar him, as he would simply dominate me, and would mostly be a waste of time.
    I know what you mean, but I wouldn't dismiss this as a waste of time were this to happen. A good teacher can work slightly above your level, making it challenging for you but not overwhelming. You learn much quicker when you spar with someone who's better than you, as long as you both understand it's a learning experience - for both of you but mainly for you - and neither of you is trying to kill the other. you learn tighter defence and better form by necessity, as any mistakes on your part will be exploited. He can make it harder for himself by restricting himself to only using certain techniques, only one attacking hand, etc.

Still, it doesn't sound like your teacher's interested in this, not that the opinions of nameless internet warriors should have any sway on him - or you. If you're really interested in sparring, you might need to hook up with another club on the side.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Yeah, I suppose that's the only realistic solution. I seriously doubt I'm going to convince someone who's been in martial arts for somewhere between 10-20 years the importance of sparring. His claim is that he only really wants to practice drills and such, because he wants his instincts to be stuck on throat attacks and disabling attacks...which at first glance makes sense....but I just don't believe any of that mumbo jumbo. He wouldn't even be my sifu if he wasn't such a good patient teacher. He's told me and many people who come to his class to check it out that he doesn't want a big class. He wants time to dedicate to each student, every class. Been to his house to train in his garage...huge beautiful house, he's just doing purely for the enjoyment of teaching. Hell, he didn't even charge me for private lessons for 2 months when I was out of work.

Anyway, got a little sidetracked there. I guess when I start cross training in brazillian jiu jitsu I'll switch off between that a muay thai...maybe like 3 months bjj, then three months muay thai for the sparring experience? Does something like that make sense? I don't have time to actively train three martial arts. I figure muay thai would be best as they have the most realistic sparring. Also the easiest system to learn so I'm learning alot of techniques that contradict with my wing chun training...