Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jet Li to quit Kung Fu Movie biz!

Jet Li ain't old; he's only about ten days older than me.

Believe me, 43 ain't old at all. I thought so when I was in my 20s, but before you know it, one day, there you are.

jimbo

if you are directing that at me then I will say that he isn't exactly a spring board anymore. Better than most, but I say let Jaa and hsi kind take over, I want the jacky days back when their were no stunt doubles, or if they were, they probably never lived to do another stunt. I am not making any sense here, go ahead and rip me, 1 hour 8 minutes till I get off work, let me put these
    on
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Jethro:
    I think Jet Li's use of wires is more to do with being directed a lot by Yuen Woo-ping and Corey Yuen; however, except for a few movies, Jet has never really been on the top 10 of my favorites list of MA movie performers anyway (at least, I don't think he has). I personally want to see more of Tony Jaa, as he seems to be the only game in town now, and he's awesome. IMO, Jackie Chan hasn't made a good movie since Drunken MasterII. In fact, I don't watch much of anything he does anymore. It seems when Asian stars go too Hollywood and become too well-known in America, the quality of their work goes way down. Though I haven't seen New Police Story yet.

My comment on the age thing was only made because a lot of people turn against a performer for no longer doing everything like they did when they were younger. However, though 43 isn't old, the body does change and you don't heal like you could at, say, 25 or 30. Unfortunately, just as a performer may be reaching his prime as a star, the body can no longer accomodate as much constant abuse, and old injuries can add up. Which leaves it up to the stars like Jaa and hopefully there will be others too.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 06-01-2006 at 02:30 PM.

jimbo

I have to agree with pretty much everything you say. Though he is one of my poersonal favs for his performances in OUATIC 1 and 2, and fist of legend. But the wire work I just think would be that much better if oyu could see his face. I am just a perfectionist. If tony jaa gets under a choreographer like woo-ping, look the fuhhk out!!!!!!!
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."