Thread: Tournament Results

Tournament Results

I WON! <-Not meaning to blow my own horn
    I'd like to give special thanks to: Chief Fox, -N-, Mantis 108, Three Harmonies, Oso, and anyone I may have forgotten. All of you helped me soo much in the point sparring divison. ( Karate guys would'nt attack first, kept backing up, chickens IMO!)
    I placed first in all three divisions: Forms (mantis longfist mix-I put two forms together<both traditional>), Weapons (Spear), and Sparring in the 18-35 all ranks division.
    Then I won Grandchampion in Forms ( trophy was literally 6 ft tall!) I had trouble getting it in my little Honda Civic! LOL
    Thanks to All!

Lcp

High fives for you bro! Can you share with us how or what went well for you in your fights.

Love doing forms and weapons. I practice them every morning.
    With the point sparring, I have to give major thanks to those on this forum that helped me with the advice they gave. My first time competing in a point sparring tournie. I HATE POINT SPARRING!!! All of my opponents were karate and taekwondo. Majority of them would sit there and wait for you to attack them so they could just lift their leg and score a point. 1pt for punch....2pt for kicks....so naturally they would use only their legs. I dont know if Karate has a lot of speed training and side steping footwork. But I found both of these very helpful. Back fists and side steping ridge hands worked well. They wouldnt allow me to sweep the front leg ( took away the bread-n-butter of my mantis fighting)-at my school we called it a child take-not sure of the chinese name. I dont know much chinese But after you child take, you side kick,chamber the kick then block their punch with a mantis hook and back fist at the same time. They were suckers for it, but i was penelized for it, everytime i did it. I mean, that kick is in my nature. It was like takeing chinese food away from me.....i want to go in the corner and cry hahahhahahhaa Oh well, I had fun tho!
    LCP

Quote Originally Posted by LingChuanPai
    They wouldnt allow me to sweep the front leg ( took away the bread-n-butter of my mantis fighting)-at my school we called it a child take-not sure of the chinese name. I dont know much chinese But after you child take, you side kick,chamber the kick then block their punch with a mantis hook and back fist at the same time. They were suckers for it, but i was penelized for it, everytime i did it.
    That's why you modify the kick so it's partway between a kick and just a footwork. If you close in, and happen to "bump" his leg with the kick/footwork, it's not quite a sweep, but he gets displaced enough that you use your lead hang to trap his arm and punch with the other.

If he runs, you can follow easily, jumping in with au lou choi punching down from the sky. Intimidating because they usually are not comfortable with continuous attacks. Aerial attack is a nice crowd pleaser move, and is easy for the judges to see.

I stopped using that opening when sparring karate guys. It was too easy to score, and I didn't want them to feel bad. I did show them how to do it, and they practiced using it. Changed their opinion of kungfu guys Mostly they had been familiar with McFu.

Congrats on your success, LCP.

N.
    Last edited by -N-; 07-24-2005 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LingChuanPai
    Karate guys would'nt attack first, kept backing up, chickens IMO!
    I wouldn't underestimate the opponent.

The cautious approach can be reasonable in a point sparring setting. It's a game after all, and you don't want to give up points to the other guy. From their point of view, they don't know you... you fight weird... they know they have a fast kick... they play it safe, hoping to catch you with a flicky flick shot to the head... after that, they hang back so they can win on points. If the score is even, or they get behind, then they'll turn up the heat. If you want to see aggressive... watch when the blackbelts end the match with a tied score, and they have to go to sudden death where the first clean point wins

Traditional mindset is not to fight unless it is a matter of life and death. At that point, if you do nothing, you'll be dead. So if you fight, you go in with full committment to end it within a few moves. Obliterate your opponent, or die trying.
    Last edited by -N-; 07-24-2005 at 02:41 PM.

Talking Congrats!

Glad you did great and have a good time.

Yeah, I believe anyone who train mantis will find point sparring rule sucks big time. They have a thing about not attacking or grabbing the limbs too. If you do too much of those it would be considered a foul. Their rule practically takes away half of mantis arsenal IMHO. I agreed with N that aerial attacks are a really crowd pleaser.

Warm regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho
    If you are not 36 years old yet then Sanshou fight should be your next goal.

Winning or losing is not important. You should try to accumulate as much as experience as possible when you are still young.
    amen to that...I didn't fight my first tourney till I was 33....it's hard to play with the younguns

congrats, dude.

If you want to find a little bit better karate format, try to find a WKF rules tourney. I actually like sparring with those rules than any kung fu ruleset (for light contact that is)
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"