Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ? on Primordial 32 posture Tai Tzu Chang Chuan

My copy of Adam Hsu's form is pretty bad. It was shot at night in a parking lot. You can see the set well enough though. I can copy it over thanks giving, and see if I can get the copy in the mail next week sometime.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

The General Qi 32 tai tzu form is extremely weird, if you are intimate with doing forms and their self defense applications.

Reply]
    I found this as well. It actually leads me to believe that that set is not a form, but a compilation of the original 32 techniques. If one looks at it as not being a form at all, and assumes that is the oldest Tai tzu material, then it might stand to reason that Tai Tzu did not originally have a form. Maybe originally it was just 32 techniques. The useage of said techniques was taught along with entry and evasion strategies, the foot work used for positioning, and methods to apply them to intercept and disrutp your opponent's balance etc...

Each technique could be combined with any other in any sequence based on the conditions of the fight at the moment. Maybe that is how it was originally taught. Various combo's of 2-3 or maybe 4 techniques were strung togther as needed at the moment and just as soon forgotten.

Maybe the form as we see it now is just some modern misunderstanding of the original formless essence?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    The General Qi 32 tai tzu form is extremely weird, if you are intimate with doing forms and their self defense applications.

Reply]
    I found this as well. It actually leads me to believe that that set is not a form, but a compilation of the original 32 techniques. If one looks at it as not being a form at all, and assumes that is the oldest Tai tzu material, then it might stand to reason that Tai Tzu did not originally have a form. Maybe originally it was just 32 techniques. The useage of said techniques was taught along with entry and evasion strategies, the foot work used for positioning, and methods to apply them to intercept and disrutp your opponent's balance etc...

Each technique could be combined with any other in any sequence based on the conditions of the fight at the moment. Maybe that is how it was originally taught. Various combo's of 2-3 or maybe 4 techniques were strung togther as needed at the moment and just as soon forgotten.

Maybe the form as we see it now is just some modern misunderstanding of the original formless essence?

The joke of it all is that all the people in China doing all the squawking about these styles don't even know how to do any of the martial arts forms that they are talking about!

Nothing has been proven about General Qi's form. Nothing in any Chen village document even mentions Qi's book.

Just because the names of the moves are the same in Chen as they are in this list of moves from Qi's book doesn't prove anything, because the Shaolin Tai Tzu Long Fist form looks and feels the most like Chen Tai Ji (or whatever you can call the Chen style, many say Yang is the point that it becomes actually Tai Ji). The opening of the Shaolin TZ form is the same as the Chen form, whole sequences of moves from the Shaolin TZ form are in the exact same order as in various sections of the Chen form. And they are done almost the same way, just the jings are a little different.

The moves in the form shown in Qi's book are NOT done in that order anywhere in the Chen form.

Oh, and even the Shaolin 32 long fist form FEELS like loose techniques strung together rather than like their other forms. As most styles from Sung and before actually were like. Forms didn't really become prominent til after 1200s.

(By the way, the Shaolin 32 TZ LF form is composed of 57 actual different moves, all contained within 32 named techniques.)
    Last edited by Sal Canzonieri; 11-21-2005 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    My copy of Adam Hsu's form is pretty bad. It was shot at night in a parking lot. You can see the set well enough though. I can copy it over thanks giving, and see if I can get the copy in the mail next week sometime.

Is it the full 108 moves set?

I count about 70 or so "moves", but techniques are often several moves long. Adam Hsu may have the full set, but I'm not sure I do. although I did eventually track down the source of the video, and he claimed it was the full set.

For the Women:

+ = & a