Thread: Chin Woo 10 Fundamental Forms?

Chin Woo 10 Fundamental Forms?

Anyone practicing or using the 10 Fundamental forms before teaching their core arts such as BSL or Eagle Claw?

Any good reference videos for resources on these forms?

Thanks,
    Sippalki

yep

I've also incoporated the Ng Bo Kuen and a Pole Form.

Its a good primer before having the student commit to a lengthy pgm. My Chin Woo PGM is completed in 2 years (weapon forms are always optional, hard enough getting them good at hand forms)

The best written source are the books by Sifu Wing Kit Lam of HK. His 4 books contain: tan tui, gung lek, dai gin, jeet kuen, 2 person tan tui, kwan yeung gwan, bat gwa do and ng fu cheung.

awaiting the final books on the Toa Kuen partner set and the saber vs spear set.

www.kungfumaster.com.hk

sifu Shum Leung has the Gung Lek Kuen, Jeet Kuen, Kwan Yeung gwan and Ng Fu Cheung on video and vcd thru espy video (check the magazines)

hope this helped, let me know how its going (teacher to teacher or Business Owner to Business Owner)

Wink Chin Woo

Master Gini Lau also has a number of the Chin Woo routines available via wle.com
    Gung Lek Kune, Jeet Kune for an alterntive view of the routines.
    Kune Belay Sau

Also any schools that are authorized to use the name Jing Mo, Ching Wu or Chin Woo has to teach the 10 Standard Jing Mo sets.

At our school (Jing Mo) here in California we do before teaching any of the external styles i.e., BSL, BSL Lo Han and Tai Chi Praying Mantis. We're luckly to have three instructors who specializes in each one of these styles. Now the Chin Woo school in Texas appears to teaches it before he teaches Wu Shu as per his web site.

Thanks Eric and everyone for your posts!

I have purchased a couple of the Lam Wing Kit’s books but didn’t realize that he had in print the 2 person Tan Tui. I’ve written to the www.kungfumaster.com.hk but never received an answer of any kind.

As, for Master Gini Lau and Master Shum Leung I have some of their videos and have found a couple vcd from China on Wuhugiang and Gung Lek Kuen by Shen, Hui Li. Another Shaolin version vcd with a nice version of Kwan Yeung gwan but that’s about all I could find.

Here is my situation I learned the following forms of the ten fundamental forms from my Master before he moved. He taught only the following 5 and then went into teaching Mantis forms.

1) Tan Tui 12
    2) Gung Lek Kuen
    3) Jeet Kuen
    4) 5 Tigers Slay the Lambs Staff
    5) 5 Tigers Spear

But I’m missing the rest from the ten fundamental forms.

1) Da Zhan Quan
    2) Jie Tan Tui
    3) Baguadao
    4) Taoquan
    5) Dandaojingqiang

The Dazhangquan and Baguadao I found in Lam Wing Kit’s books but it would be nice to find someone that could teach them if not a video or vcd for reference to cross check with the books.

I have a small class in Southern CA and any help on business or art skill is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John
    Sippalki

I think the school in Ca. would be your best solution. That is if they are willing to just teach the sets you are missing (privates)

Sifu Jimmy Wong in Texas is a very open and friendly individual. Just ask him. I'd wait a while till probably a week after the Taiji legacy tournament he's having this week. He'll be burned out

Even though the 10 sets is now used as a standard, it was not always so. many groups do not have the Da gin/dazhan set. Also its a very long set. My teacher doesn't teach it or the 2 person tan tui set anymore. He feels that simply learning the gung lek and jeet kuen set is a good primer before jumping into eagle claw.

I find the Chin Woo format very useful. Kind of like a Highschool Eduation. If the student decides to stop after learning them, that is okay because they have obtained a decent level in the 4 ranges.

But if you have the money and the time why not just go to theChin Woo in HK or Singapore. They'll hook you up and you'll meet some highly skilled sifu's as well.

later

Thanks Eric,

you wrote:

[QUOTE=ngokfei]I think the school in Ca. would be your best solution. That is if they are willing to just teach the sets you are missing (privates)

Sifu Jimmy Wong in Texas is a very open and friendly individual. Just ask him. I'd wait a while till probably a week after the Taiji legacy tournament he's having this week. He'll be burned out [QUOTE]

I've tried emailing both groups the CA emails just bounce back, and the Texas group I never got an answer. But the tournament might explain why no answer.

[QUOTE] Even though the 10 sets is now used as a standard, it was not always so. many groups do not have the Da gin/dazhan set. Also its a very long set. My teacher doesn't teach it or the 2 person tan tui set anymore. He feels that simply learning the gung lek and jeet kuen set is a good primer before jumping into eagle claw.[QUOTE]

Did you learn Baguadao?

[QUOTE] I find the Chin Woo format very useful. Kind of like a Highschool Eduation. If the student decides to stop after learning them, that is okay because they have obtained a decent level in the 4 ranges.[QUOTE]

Yes that's what I had in mind exactly.

[QUOTE] But if you have the money and the time why not just go to theChin Woo in HK or Singapore. They'll hook you up and you'll meet some highly skilled sifu's as well.[QUOTE]

That is going to happen at some point I have family in there and have been invited to stay in Kowloon.

As for business: What are you using to recruit new students? Demos, Trail Lessons, Flyers?

Thanks,
    John
    Sippalki

from my 1st teacher I learned:

Tan Tui (a 10 row that either he or my sigung condensed the 12 road and added some interesting northern ideas)
    Gung Lek, Jeet Kuen, Kwan Yeung Gwan, Bat Gua Do, Nf Fu Cheung and toa Kuen.

the Dai Gin Kuen and 2 person tan tui I learned outside.

In the end all the sets have my own personal flavor.

I used to run a full time gym (actually taught in 3 locations at the same time) when I lived in NYC and NJ. Now I'm pretty low key (big mouthed but low key )

Right now I steadily teach 10 people. I limit it to that number and get this actually have a waiting list. Only offer 1 group class a week, all other times are privates.

So mostly word of mouth now. In the beginning I used the flyers. Demo's come and go so not an important source for me.

Eric,

Would it be ok if I email you?

Take Care,
    John
    Sippalki

Ok thanks for the responses from everyone. After my last post, I’ve been very lucky to have been contacted by someone that knows these forms and is willing to help me and for that I’m very appreciative. I guess you never know who is watching these boards.

Take Care,
    John