Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fighting with a stool?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinTiger00
    I trained in jow ga and northern shaolin for years before I saw san shou in '95, and for a year or two after I did both, and then just dropped forms completely.
    how did you like that style and did you use any of it in your san shou?

Wink Touchy Touchy!

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu
    "Blazing New Paths"? You can't be serious? I love these comments.

My Sifu once said that "most KF teachers are like crabs in a bucket. The crabs just climb over each other and keep draggin each other down. If they were to unite an combine there strengths, they'd escape with ease." Hey, KF people, support each other!
    Perhaps you should take a leaf from your own book next time you slag some guy for offering up his original thought for our entertainment.

Yum Cha,

I assume you are commenting on my training brothers in NYC who do Saan Da. If you are talking about me, I would be surprised, since I don't believe we've met.
    You assume incorrectly. Isn't that you that started the thread "Chinese Martial Arts Business" wherein you are running a clinic on tips and techniques to manage a commercially viable Kung Fu school for the modern western consumer, including training techniques for tournaments? Aren't you also offering a consulting service for a fee as well? I mean, please correct me if I am wrong...Is there more than one Lama Pai Sifu?

My point being that you have chosen to do new things too, i.e. you don't run your schools in EXACTLY the same manner that your sifu ran his, as evidenced by the long and very clearly illustrated thread on Chan Sifu and your thread on "Chinese Martial Arts Business"...and thus when you rubbish other people for trying new things, it seems unequitable and a bit "crabby".

Every time anyone achieves success in the MA business, everyone has something to say about it. I love it. Open up a school, show up for work everyday and I'll speak to you in 15 years.
    Perhaps you have me confused with someone else. My only critical intonnation was towards your double standard, not towards your business in any way.

As far as my comment about all the KF out there; let me be more specific. I don't know the person who made this form. He might very well be a competant martial artist. My comment was directed more at people who don't achieve proficiency at what they have already learned. I have seen many people over the years show me all kinds of craap that someone made up (who was not competent) and tried to pass off as 'good'. It's just a shame. With all the KF out there...That's all I'm saying.
    Fair enough, thanks for the clarification. If you've been following his posts, SPJ seems like a reasonably qualified individual, I simply think he deserves the benefit of the doubt and wanted to put some runs on his side of the board. Then again, I probably think a lot more like he does than you do.

Cheers,

Oh, and if the "Lam'0 Pie" nick is what irked you, no disrespect intended Michael, just trying to lighten things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha
    Perhaps you should take a leaf from your own book next time you slag some guy for offering up his original thought for our entertainment.

You assume incorrectly. Isn't that you that started the thread "Chinese Martial Arts Business" wherein you are running a clinic on tips and techniques to manage a commercially viable Kung Fu school for the modern western consumer, including training techniques for tournaments? Aren't you also offering a consulting service for a fee as well? I mean, please correct me if I am wrong...Is there more than one Lama Pai Sifu?

My point being that you have chosen to do new things too, i.e. you don't run your schools in EXACTLY the same manner that your sifu ran his, as evidenced by the long and very clearly illustrated thread on Chan Sifu and your thread on "Chinese Martial Arts Business"...and thus when you rubbish other people for trying new things, it seems unequitable and a bit "crabby".

Perhaps you have me confused with someone else. My only critical intonnation was towards your double standard, not towards your business in any way.

Fair enough, thanks for the clarification. If you've been following his posts, SPJ seems like a reasonably qualified individual, I simply think he deserves the benefit of the doubt and wanted to put some runs on his side of the board. Then again, I probably think a lot more like he does than you do.

Cheers,

Oh, and if the "Lam'0 Pie" nick is what irked you, no disrespect intended Michael, just trying to lighten things up.

stools are a traditional clf weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by BornToKill
    how did you like that style and did you use any of it in your san shou?
    there are a few "tricks" that i still use in my fighting that I learned from kung fu.

but the truth is that it's probably about 1%.

Thumbs up Yum Cha

Fair and Reasonable reply.

I didn't mean to come off so harsh regarding the stool.

Here are a few points to clarify:

I did start a CMA business thread. The state of CM school is so poor in most states. They are not run professionally, they don't offer good service and they don't understand how to train students so that don't quit. Think about it. Why is there a 20:1 ratio of Japanese and Korean schools to KF schools? Becaue there arts are easier? Think again. Because most CM school owners think they are living in a shaw brothers movie. Not to mention, there are very FEW successful KF schools in the coutry, so not too many role models for current and new instructors.

CM school owners need to update their businesses, and their teaching so that our arts can prosper. It's not just about making a good living. It's about doing the right things to promote your art to more people (assuming that is what one wants)

And am I being innovative? Hardly. I just apply business stragies and use professional models of success businesses. Some martial arts schools, some not.

Am I teaching like my Sifu did? Hell No! That method attracted a few dozens new students a year and kept a small handfull for a decade or so. Not very successful. Some people might say: "well, if he produced one good student, than he was a success." In some people's minds, the one's who have LOW expectations,..yes, that is a success. It's just not what I'm expecting and certainly less than what I can accomplish.

Just to clear things up.

The form was posted in a Chinese KF forum.

I did not come up with the form.

I like it. There are some good ideas in them, some are practical, some may not be ok.

The creator may know some Shaolin Long fist and basic sword play.

He used the stool as if a broadsword or straightsword. He used the stool to fend off attacks and then punch, kick, elbow strikes etc.

Since there are good and valid elements in them. Nobody criticised the form in the Chinese KF forum.

They only requested who ever know more about the this, please perform them with a stool.

The stool may do downward Pi like a Dao due to weight, but there is no blade.

The stool may point or Dian, stab or Chi like a straight sword, etc.

It is just for fun and comparative study only.

Quote Originally Posted by BornToKill

my older brother showed me that a number of years ago. the vhs quality was kinda bad, tho. the wushu for the dragon bench section was pretty creative. a nice twist was that he knew the set well enough to pick up where the class was and continue as the master 'instructed' him.

when they went to the gymnasium/school to find the monk it seemed a bit west side storyish in terms of the choreography before the individual fight scene.

kool posts: 10 points for out of the box librarian!

Fair and Reasonable reply.

I didn't mean to come off so harsh regarding the stool.

Here are a few points to clarify:

I did start a CMA business thread. The state of CM school is so poor in most states. They are not run professionally, they don't offer good service and they don't understand how to train students so that don't quit. Think about it. Why is there a 20:1 ratio of Japanese and Korean schools to KF schools? Becaue there arts are easier? Think again. Because most CM school owners think they are living in a shaw brothers movie. Not to mention, there are very FEW successful KF schools in the coutry, so not too many role models for current and new instructors.

CM school owners need to update their businesses, and their teaching so that our arts can prosper. It's not just about making a good living. It's about doing the right things to promote your art to more people (assuming that is what one wants)

And am I being innovative? Hardly. I just apply business stragies and use professional models of success businesses. Some martial arts schools, some not.

Am I teaching like my Sifu did? Hell No! That method attracted a few dozens new students a year and kept a small handfull for a decade or so. Not very successful. Some people might say: "well, if he produced one good student, than he was a success." In some people's minds, the one's who have LOW expectations,..yes, that is a success. It's just not what I'm expecting and certainly less than what I can accomplish.
    sifu's should not sacrifice their teaching quality for 2 year programs. Otherwise you have people like dale douglas who think you can learn iron palm in 2 years.

My name for the record is Dale Dugas.

Your name on the other hand is not what you claim it to be.

Iron skills do not take 20 +years to attain and anyone who says that is full of poo poo.

If your going to drop my name at least spell it right, son.

Do you not think it unwise that I can attain that skill in almost a 1/10th of what you profess it to take?

You hear anyone else talk about taking decades to see results.

Again you open your mouth and show you total ineptitude and total lack of real training.

In Boston,

Dale Dugas
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas
    My name for the record is Dale Dugas.

Your name on the other hand is not what you claim it to be.

Iron skills do not take 20 +years to attain and anyone who says that is full of poo poo.

If your going to drop my name at least spell it right, son.

Do you not think it unwise that I can attain that skill in almost a 1/10th of what you profess it to take?

You hear anyone else talk about taking decades to see results.

Again you open your mouth and show you total ineptitude and total lack of real training.

In Boston,

Dale Dugas

So are you saying you can stop a bullet with your hand?

and here's your limitation of liability agreement. maybe we can get dale to hold that fool...

...and here's a nice refreshment you can enjoy:

sorry, dale. i'm a bit of a moderate on this and most issues. yiu se ut as not as difficult to master. people whom have tried periodically over time have taken decades to master it. if you spend eight hours a day every day it should take you three years to do well enough to anticipate the firing of a bullet, not flinch, and swat that little slug outta the air. my wildcat .4295" is travelling at 4000 fps at the muzzle with a 180 grain bullet. if you can knock it outta the sky standing 100meters from the gun you get the gun. the bullet travels that distance before you can see the smoke.

combining sitori with iron palm for this kind of dodge and swat effect probably would take a decade.
    Last edited by YuanZhideDiZhen; 07-31-2005 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YuanZhideDiZhen
    and here's your limitation of liability agreement. maybe we can get dale to hold that fool...

...and here's a nice refreshment you can enjoy:

sorry, dale. i'm a bit of a moderate on this and most issues. yiu se ut as not as difficult to master. people whom have tried periodically over time have taken decades to master it. if you spend eight hours a day every day it should take you three years to do well enough to anticipate the firing of a bullet, not flinch, and swat that little slug outta the air. my wildcat .4295" is travelling at 4000 fps at the muzzle with a 180 grain bullet. if you can knock it outta the sky standing 100meters from the gun you get the gun. the bullet travels that distance before you can see the smoke.

combining sitori with iron palm for this kind of dodge and swat effect probably would take a decade.
    not to mention pi da training for when you miss the swat.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasquez
    not to mention pi da training for when you miss the swat.
    if he actually stood there and let me do it i'd probably settle for a nice tipsy movement with the swat...as long as he wasn't grazed.

No Worries Lama Pai Guy. Its all good.